A history of baby food

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk

A history of baby food

Postby Parla. » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:57 pm

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... _page=true

I would have liked to see baby-led solids get a look-in.
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)
Parla.
Counsellor

Re: A history of baby food

Postby Mummy woo! » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:59 am

Very interesting parla.

The first time I have seen the (in hindsight) very obvious connection between the changing solids recommendations and the advent of canned baby food.

Also makes the Montessori diet recommendations seem less crazy (ref fellare post last week)

My mum used to make all her own baby food in a hand mill, and then feed me a packaged chocolate custard for dessert - she openly admits now that she enjoyed scarfing down the leftovers! So there were other benefits for mothers to packaged babyhood before they took out the sugar :lol:
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Penguin » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:15 am

I haven't read the article yet, but there must be a correlation between the number of 3yos eating baby food pouches for dinner and mothers in paid employment/ increased paid work hours for parents in general. "From four months includes 40 months, right?" :roll:
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby Penguin » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:29 am

Oh, they did. "But baby-food makers love it because it extends the life of baby food by about a year. Before they would assume that babies would eat their food up to 12 months. Now pouches are very attractive to parents of toddlers, so 12 months to 2 years. So it’s more than doubling the opportunity to sell a product."

3.5 and still going strong...
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby Mummy woo! » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:49 am

Penguin wrote:I haven't read the article yet, but there must be a correlation between the number of 3yos eating baby food pouches for dinner and mothers in paid employment/ increased paid work hours for parents in general. "From four months includes 40 months, right?" :roll:

And compared to some of the other convenience foods marketed to kids/mums (I'm looking at you burger chains) they are probably a reasonable compromise.
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby PellyintheWilderness » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:27 pm

Mummy woo! wrote:
Penguin wrote:I haven't read the article yet, but there must be a correlation between the number of 3yos eating baby food pouches for dinner and mothers in paid employment/ increased paid work hours for parents in general. "From four months includes 40 months, right?" :roll:

And compared to some of the other convenience foods marketed to kids/mums (I'm looking at you burger chains) they are probably a reasonable compromise.

I would argue that the nutritional benefits of pouch food over, say, burgers and chips, are, to some extent at least, offset by the non-resemblance of pouch food to any "real" food other than creamed vegie soup. I did the whole purees caper with my older two, and we had enormous trouble getting them to accept textures (one is still a very fussy eater). I wonder whether the toddler puree trend is going to result in a cohort of even-more-than-usually fussy eaters - ones who won't even eat (gulp!) chicken nuggets :roll:
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months
PellyintheWilderness

Postby Parla. » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:49 pm

PellyintheWilderness wrote:
Mummy woo! wrote:

I would argue that the nutritional benefits of pouch food over, say, burgers and chips, are, to some extent at least, offset by the non-resemblance of pouch food to any "real" food other than creamed vegie soup. I did the whole purees caper with my older two, and we had enormous trouble getting them to accept textures (one is still a very fussy eater). I wonder whether the toddler puree trend is going to result in a cohort of even-more-than-usually fussy eaters - ones who won't even eat (gulp!) chicken nuggets :roll:

To be fair, for older kids who are also eating family foods, I reckon the occasional pouch doesn't really have that downside.
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)
Parla.
Counsellor

Postby Mummy woo! » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:23 pm

parla wrote:
PellyintheWilderness wrote:
Mummy woo! wrote:

To be fair, for older kids who are also eating family foods, I reckon the occasional pouch doesn't really have that downside.

That is where I was coming from too Parla. There is more than one forumite who keeps a stash of these handy.
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby PellyintheWilderness » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:02 pm

Mummy woo! wrote:
parla wrote:
PellyintheWilderness wrote:I would argue that the nutritional benefits of pouch food over, say, burgers and chips, are, to some extent at least, offset by the non-resemblance of pouch food to any "real" food other than creamed vegie soup. I did the whole purees caper with my older two, and we had enormous trouble getting them to accept textures (one is still a very fussy eater). I wonder whether the toddler puree trend is going to result in a cohort of even-more-than-usually fussy eaters - ones who won't even eat (gulp!) chicken nuggets :roll:

That is where I was coming from too Parla. There is more than one forumite who keeps a stash of these handy.

Occasional consumption of anything you're not actually allergic to is fine, be it pouch food or burger chain food.
The trouble begins when people consume things on a regular basis (several times a week and more). I'd say it's probably more common for toddlers to eat packaged purees on a daily basis than junk food, partly because they're nutrionally superior. But it's still a poor food choice compared to, say, a cheese sandwich on decent bread, accompanied by some vegie pieces, which is not much more work to prepare, and pretty easy to take along and eat on the go.

We all do what we need to do. I'm not going to criticise someone for giving their kids the odd pouch, and I know from my own experience how easy it is to just go with whatever food the kids will actually consent to eat. But I also know from my own experience that this can lead to real problems.

So glad I discovered Baby-Led Weaning. Yet another great thing I learned via ABA :-)

Sorry, Mummy woo!, I had to leave out your original comment because the forum will only allow me to embed three quotes.

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
PellyintheWilderness

Postby Yankee » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:03 pm

There are even fruit purée pouches that actually say '1 to 3 years' on them. They are EXACTLY THE SAME as the other fruit pouches, well a bit smaller to make them more like a snack than a full serve. But I did find it strange that they out that age range on it when it's pretty much the exact same thing. Why? For marketing!

Didn't stop me from buying a few though, DD loves them so she gets maybe one or two a week as a treat. And she goes through phases where sometimes the only vegetables she'll tolerate is to suck on a packet of veggie puree. I have no more qualms about that than about her eating yogurt - in both cases she's slurping up something goopy, and she eats plenty of family foods through the day.

You've probably noticed that the pouches are everywhere in the supermarket now. Pouch yogurt, pouch 'fruit crush' for older kids, I think I saw pouch jelly.
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby fellare » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:38 pm

Can't stand the pouches. Teach kids to not taste, nor chew your food. You need salsa to digest the starches, you need to taste to know you're full.
Ducking up food increases risk of choking. Realy, a small bowl of fruit is just as easy to take around. Our the kid can wait until home. Mine does.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
fellare

Postby Jenbt85 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:33 pm

I was telling DH about this thread yesterday. Compared to the crap (sweets on tap, potato chips) people keep trying to feed my toddler here, the pouches are our saviour!

Sadly DS won't eat savoury pouches as this would make travelling much easier, but he will eat the fruit ones. I have no problem with them (am yet to read the original link, just commenting on comments).
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Postby PellyintheWilderness » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:03 pm

When you're travelling etc, that's a perfectly acceptable thing to do.

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
PellyintheWilderness

Return to Introducing Solids & Weaning