Regression

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
4fun

Regression

Post by 4fun » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Dd 2 7 months seems to be going through a bit of a solids regression. I don't recall this happening with any of my older 3 until around 1yr.
I'm not sure what to do, she has been on solids for almost 3 months & gone from eating (read scoffing) 2 meals a day to literally having 2 or 3 mouthfuls then refusing.
I have tried finger food, and she's into that idea but appears to have my super strong gag reflex and this has resulted in adult style vomiting too many times now for it to be a good option for her, she even gagged on couscous tonight (3 tiny spoon we got!) then vomited big time.
Thing is she is hungry and is trying to make up for food with milk all night long, and this is a bub who has slept through the majority since 2-3months old.

Anyone have any ideas? Suggestions? Similar experiences?

Oh I shoukd add its not a preference thing coz its every type if food.
DS1 July 2008
DS2 November 2009
DD November 2011
DD2 March 2014

Yankee

Re: Regression

Post by Yankee » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:28 pm

That sounds frustrating! Is she still having lots of breast milk? BM has more calories than most purées anyway. It's perfectly fine for babies to get most of their calories from BM for most of the first year.
DD born September 2013

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:03 am

If she's having a few mouthfuls then stopping, could you offer little amounts frequently? How long has the change gone on for? Sounds really difficult!
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:42 am

Massive decrease in appetite.

I was talking to a mum today she said her 15 month old is eating about 3x what her 2.5 year old is eating...and the 2.5 year old I do not think is breastfed or having bottles... The appetite just changes completely.

If you are worried, I would suggest getting their iron levels checked by the family doctor, as this often comes up as an issue, and iron deficiency can impact appetite and food choices...

Otherwise, I do not think it is healthy or wise (or indeed even possible) to force-feed an almost 3 year old, but my Paediatrician said to fatten a kid up in a healthy way (build muscles) is by keeping an eye on their protein options - add a few protein -rich foods, and not so much focus on carbs.

My mum would make 'eggnogs', lots of extra eggs in the diet to try to fatten us up after illness. Unfortunately I now know (well, am convinced based on evidence) that my brother and sister both had/have coeliac disease (both are now seen by with gastroenterologists) - but at the time we did not know...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

fellare

Post by fellare » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:04 am

Is she going through learning a new skill. Ds stopped eating at 9 months cause he was hell bend on learning how to use a fork. Have you tried giving the spoon to her and letting her go for it? Maybe naked and outside of you're concerned about mess.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

4fun

Post by 4fun » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:33 am

She is still little and she is definately breast feeding a plenty for base nutrients etc roughly every 3hrs during the day was 1.5- 2hrly before solids introduced. I have tried the spoon thing and she is quite dexterous for her size but she can't really get anything yet, she can move the spoon to her mouth no probs but growls at me when I touch her spoon. I have tried what I did with my boys and tricking her into thinking she's feeding herself and slipping in a spoonful as she brings her spoon to her mouth but she has cried a couple of times at this.
She is trying to crawl so maybe that's effecting her? I don't know....
DS1 July 2008
DS2 November 2009
DD November 2011
DD2 March 2014

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:24 pm

You could try a two-spoon system? Load the spoon with puree and hand it to her so she can put it in her mouth on her own, then load a second spoon and offer it when the first is empty as a 'trade' for the old spoon.
DD born September 2013