Weaning from breastmilk

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
josie24

Weaning from breastmilk

Post by josie24 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:43 am

Hi, I'm unsure how to go about weaning my 12 month old son. I'm currently 15 weeks pregnant with twins and have very sore and sensitive nipples and am finding breastfeeding very painful. I have kept going so far as he will not take a bottle, he is used to having a formula top up late at night but has dropped it over the last month or so.
He is currently having 3-4 bfs a day, upon waking, before lunch, before dinner and around midnight. He has however, some days not had the lunch time feed. He has 3 solid meals a day with snacks, and has been having cows milk on his cereal, for a few weeks now and is also having cheese, yoghurt and some days a little cows milk in a sippy cup. So some advice on what I should do and what time frame would be great, I have always had a low supply so I don't think he is getting a great deal from me anyway.
Thanks so much :D

Yankee

Re: Weaning from breastmilk

Post by Yankee » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:55 am

Congratulations on the twins! The ABA has a good page on weaning advice here:

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... ds/weaning

I'm in a similar situation to you, not pregnant by my DD turns one this week and I've been gradually reducing feeds. This is just my personal experience. I started by dropping one feed at a time, making sure that she was getting enough fluids (water, for us) and snacks to replace the feed. If she asked for a feed I would distract by offering the sippy cup of water. Keep an eye on your boobs when you drop a feed to make sure you don't get lumps. Start by dropping the feed they seem least interested in and wait a few days before dropping another.

I've only just started introducing a bit of cows milk in the afternoons, out of a cup. She's not terribly interested but I'm not worried as she gets plenty of yogurt, cheese etc. and plenty of water. I didn't used to but now I often offer water between meals, especially if we're at the playground or somewhere active (places I think to myself, I'm thirsty right now so I bet she is too!).

That's as far as I've gotten so far, I'm still doing the first thing in the morning feed and the before bed feed. Those two will be the trickiest to drop because their part of our morning and evening routine, although we don't feed to sleep anymore.

That's what's working for us anyway. Keep us posted on how you go!
DD born September 2013

PellyintheWilderness

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:47 pm

No suggestions with the weaning, but congratulations with the twin pregnancy! Hope all goes well!
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi and welcome!

Congratulations on making it to a year of breastfeeding - you are in rare company :)

Have you spoke with an Aba counsellor? If you call the helpline a counsellor can talk you through some ideas and strategies so you can decide how to go about weaning.

Good luck!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

josie24

Post by josie24 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks for all of your responses. I spoke with an ABA counsellor this afternoon and now have some ideas on how to go about weaning, I also spoke to a MCHN and was advised that he no longer needs bottles so that's a relief. I start by dropping his lunch time feed and continue to drop feeds over the next few weeks. He drinks heaps of water and today drank about 80 mls of cows milk from his sippy cup. I feel more confident now, with all this help and guidance as I was overwhelmed on how to go about it and thought I'd have to continue feeding him even though it's so painful. I will let you know how it goes. :D

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:52 am

:smt026 Yay!!
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:24 am

Glad to hear you've got a plan! Keep us posted on how it goes and I hope you stick around for your twins too. There are quite a few ladies here who have had twins.
DD born September 2013