Trying to get it right

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk

Trying to get it right

Postby JacquieG » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi all

Just asking for a bit of advice on a few things, my bubs just over 6 months now and has be exclusively breast fed. We have started solids which he just loves and will pretty much eat anything given to him. But since starting solids he is not drinking as much breast milk, will drink for a bit then turn away from me, I always BF him about 20 minutes before solids, is this normal ? Also he is getting constipated very easily even though I am feeding him lots of puréed fruit and veggies, I'm trying to increase his fluid with a bit of cooled boiled water but hes not a fan, any advice on getting him to drink
More ? We are trying to teach him how to drink from a sippy cup or bottle since he will need for childcare in about a month, but not having much success :(

I'm starting to feel really lost in this whole introducing solids thing, as I feel I just can't get it right. Any suggestions on types of food or routines I could try ?

Thanks
JacquieG

Re: Trying to get it right

Postby fellare » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:27 pm

welcome!! it's nice your child likes his solids, but yeah, it can be a worry when they get too much and reduce breastfeeding. In general you can probably trust your child, but it sounds like it might be a good idea to reduce what you offer.

have you looked into baby led weaning? They feed themselves finger food, which slows them down a bit as they learn to manipulate the food. You can also use breastmilk to make up mushes, rather than adding water. That way he still gets breastmilk.

It's not uncommon for babies to seriously reduce their feeds around 9 months. But for most, if you stick to it, they will come back. DS nearly only fed to sleep around that age, that was it. But at around 12 months, he came back and 2 years later is still going strong. Just another thing to look forward too!
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
fellare

Postby Yankee » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi and welcome! It's pretty common to swing between sloppy poos and constipation as they get used to solids. When dd went through similar folks here recommended 'p' fruits - pear and plum, also apricot. Worked well for us.

Is your bub refusing breastfeeds or just having shorter feeds? He could be more efficient at drinking your milk as he ages. And don't worry too much about how much water he's drinking, chances are he's getting enough fluid from your milk. At that age it's more about learning to use a cup than how much they drink from it. Don't be afraid to skip straight to an open cup if you want - just slowly tip water toward his lips and be prepared for sputtering and spitting as he gets used to it. Dd still has a habit of taking a full mouth of water and then spitting out what she doesn't want to drink. :roll:
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby fellare » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:46 pm

Yankee wrote: Dd still has a habit of taking a full mouth of water and then spitting out what she doesn't want to drink. :roll:

m 2.5 year old still sometimes does that :shock: we went straight to open cup too. he wasnt in childcare until 18 months, but the most kids used sippy cups and they went along with his cup
fellare

Postby JacquieG » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:48 pm

Thanks for the welcomes guys :)

Yankee, he is def more efficient at BF but he doesn't seem to be emptying the breast, he used to drink from both but sometimes he seems to only want half one, then turns from me and gets upset if I try to get him back on. I know he had hit the age where he is into everything and has the attention span of a potato, I'm just worried he's not getting enough fluids. Your description was spot on, with his feeds I am either making the poor little dude poop non stop for three days or I'm plugging him up and he's going hard little pebble poos (hence trying a bit of water)

Baby led weening sounds interesting and messy, I know bub would pretty much eat anything he could fit in his mouth, but don't know if he's really coordinating hands that well yet. Am going to read into better and give it crack maybe :)

Out normal routine,

0630-0700 wake up and bf
0930-1000 ish bf porridge and fruit
1300ish bf then fruit or veg
1600 bf then veggies
1830feed before bed (usually falls asleep into feed)
2130 dream feed
Always wakes at 0200 is for feed.

Does this seem normal ?
JacquieG

Postby PellyintheWilderness » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:20 pm

Sounds perfectly normal to me!
I think you're doing the right thing by offering him BFs before eating. Can you maybe offer him more BFs in between the meals? Could you cut back to two meals instead of three?
Baby-led weaning has lots of advantages, including that if they don't stick in in their own mouths, they don't eat it. It's quite hard to overfeed them, unlike purees where they can just sit there and swallow it all.
And yes, it can be messy! But they do learn to eat "properly" much more quickly, IMO, and that saves you mess further down the track. Mothers Direct have a great smock/ bib thingy called a Puddle Feeder which will keep his clothes covered. The weekend edition of the national daily newspaper should last you a week if you spread a few sheets under his chair at each meal - scrunch it up and throw it away, saves cleaning the floor.
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months
PellyintheWilderness

Postby Yankee » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:03 pm

Baby led weaning is fun, although we ended up doing a morph of purée and baby led. Worked for us!

Agreed that if you're worried you could probably drop back to two meals for a few weeks. Six months is still very young. You can always reintroduce the third meal if you want.
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby fellare » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:41 pm

depends on the kid if it's messy. DS hardly ever chucked food on the floor, unless he was overwhelmed or finished and we didn't pay attention (he'd show signs first before doing the all mighty arm sweep). but my friends child will get food everywhere just for the hell of it. We had a spare table cloth (plastic) on the floor and washed that. easy as you could also just pick up the food and give it back without worrying about germs (not sure why we were as he'd go outside and find every bit of possum poo we didn't clean up and yes, we swept every time we went outside!!).
fellare

Postby ClOuD_NiNe » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:13 am

Your bub sounds very similar to my DS at that age :D We did BLW (yes messy but so much fun!) and he ate phenomenal amounts right from 6 months. I learnt later that this is quite unusual and a lot of babies at that age will just play with the food and not really swallow much until 8 or 9 months, some are even older.

At 6 months I was only giving him one or two meals a day, he didn't get 3 consistent meals until probably about 9 or 10 months. But given the amount he was eating he was getting constipated frequently. The P fruits helped, and I had to stop putting so much food in front of him. If it was there he would eat it. I think you've got the right idea with breastfeeding before offering solids (I also used to offer a breastfeed after solids) but...

Again it sounds like our bubs are quite similar! At that age DS also went through a very distracted and impatient phase. He refused to breastfeed if there was anyone else in the room or when we were out somewhere, too much going on. The only way I could get him to feed properly was to go into a darkened quiet room or feed just as he was waking from a nap. It was hard work! DS was happy to drink water though, and looked especially proud to be drinking it out of an open cup or mummy's drink bottle - novelty was the key for him :wink: I would suggest trying a few different vessels. Hope that helps!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker
ClOuD_NiNe

Return to Introducing Solids & Weaning