Supply gone!

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
Jenbt85

Supply gone!

Post by Jenbt85 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:39 pm

After battling with aversion and a bit of pain over the past couple of weeks, I made the decision to wean DS. We are down to one feed a day, so I thought that going cold turkey from next week would be ok. He's easy to distract and is generally happy if I say no, so I thought that it would be less confusing for him if we just stopped rather than staggering dropping a feed every few days.

Today, he's been asking a lot and I've fed him but there's clearly nothing there. Tonight he's been squeezing my breast, smacking it then throwing his hands up in the air (a little comical). I can't hear him swallowing anything at all. It makes me feel better about weaning knowing I actually have nothing left to give him; it lessens the guilt (the aversion helped with that too!). Mooki's weaning hormone thread explained a few things too!

I don't consider him weaned yet (he still asks), but we are really close. I'll still stick around the forum! I wanted to thank you all for all of your support and for normalising breastfeeding. I was originally going to feed "for the full 12 months" (rolls eyes at my former ignorance) and had planned to get to two years, but am comfortable with this stopping now too. It's been amazing hearing about how normal it is to feed a toddler and extended breastfeeding too. I'm looking forward to doing it all again hopefully next year sometime.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

PellyintheWilderness

Re: Supply gone!

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:45 pm

Hugs, Jen. You sound fairly "at peace" with your situation, which is great. Please do stick around!
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:39 pm

Thanks Pelly, I am at peace with it. I've decided to have a pizza when DS is weaned. He's dairy intolerant so I haven't had dairy in ages, and while I'm also not meant to eat cheese or tomato paste, I fancy doing something naughty now that it won't affect him!! It's going to be so strange not to have to think about what I consume.
DD - breastfeeding

chiggins

Post by chiggins » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Hugs Jen! What a journey!! Well done for BFing your DS for as long as you did.
Sounds like its time, for both you and your LO... hope you do stick around. You've given me and others using this forum some valuable advice in the past and Im sure you could offer us a lot more with your experience! xx

ETA: Enjoy that pizza!! You've earned it!
DD - Nov 2013
DS1 - Apr 2015
DS2 - Jun 2016 (BFing like a champ!)

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:17 am

chiggins wrote:Hugs Jen! What a journey!! Well done for BFing your DS for as long as you did.
Sounds like its time, for both you and your LO... hope you do stick around. You've given me and others using this forum some valuable advice in the past and Im sure you could offer us a lot more with your experience! xx

ETA: Enjoy that pizza!! You've earned it!

This was lovely to read, thank you :) It's good to have you back on the forum! :) Xx
DD - breastfeeding

mum-meals

Post by mum-meals » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:20 pm

Congrats Jen! You've been an inspiration, especially in the area of diet- detective work :-)
Enjoy your pizza!

When my DD weaned, I taught her to Eskimo kiss at the same time, a special little substitute for both of us...
mum-meals
DD Dec 2007
DS1 April 2010
DS2 Feb 2014

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:16 pm

:oops: Thanks mum-meals, I've appreciated you sharing your experiences and advice! I love the idea of the Eskimo kiss :) DS has been super snuggly today. I've been really emotional! Today is the first day in 28 months that my body has only sustained me. It's almost like a second separation from the womb (birth being the first).

DH was surprised to hear the milk was all gone. He started asking "but what if he gets sick? What if we aren't sure this is really it?" Think I surprised him by bursting into tears haha.

The pizza was happily mediocre, which is great as I'm really intolerant and so the memory of this should help turn off the cravings :D

I'm at peace with how it had ended, it was always going to be sad whenever it stopped. It's interesting learning to trust the relationship beyond breastfeeding. It's only been a day, but I love how affectionate he's been. :)
DD - breastfeeding

Lil.yaya

Post by Lil.yaya » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:36 pm

Pizza always disappoints me too Jenbt85!!
It sounds like a very respectful way to finish your breastfeeding relationship with your DS!

I can understand why you would be feeling teary about it. I would be the same!
DS - 5
DD - 3

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:58 am

It's funny Lil.yaya, of all the food on my "no" list, pizza is what I crave the most. I've never even really eaten it!! The last pizza I had was out of this world, but the one yesterday has definitely helped to stop me wanting it again! :D

Thanks for your kind words. I'm going better today!!
DD - breastfeeding

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:21 pm

Congratulations on your breastfeeding journey with DS Jen. Sounds like you had a few hurdles to overcome in the early days but you got through that and have come to an end that seems to suit you both. That's wonderful. Its also really normal to feel a bit sad and teary about it for a bit. There's the hormones but its also a time of change in your relationship with your baby and that can always be a bit unsettling.

Oh and I love how pro breastfeeding your DH sounds :-D

One thing I just wanted to say though is that it would be pretty unusual for your supply to completely vanish over night. You may be still lactating, although not as much as you were before so juts keep an eye on your breasts that they don't get full or lumpy... its not very likely to happen with the gradual weaning with a toddler but it still can. I new someone who developed mastitis 6 months after she weaned! A very unusual case but it pays to be careful.

Looking forward to supporting you with baby 2 when the time is right :-D
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:48 am

Thanks MM! It's true that it's a change in relationship, he's suddenly feeling "older". I think I'm generally a bit hormonal but each day is a bit better.

Yeah DH has been on this journey with me all the way. He is equally passionate about it since we've educated ourselves on bf. I really love that :) In some ways, he's more hardline than I am on it.

Thanks for the heads up. I have felt tender, but nothing too bad. I'll keep an eye on it!

Looking forward to number 2, hopefully not too far away!!
DD - breastfeeding

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:04 am

Congrats on your bf journey! I hope the hormones settle down for you soon
X

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:57 am

Thanks Mooki :) Congratulations to you too - are you feeling any better?
DD - breastfeeding

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:47 am

So it turns out there was maybe a bit of milk there. My boobs are starting to feel hot and I've just leaked a bit of milk. I've had dairy this week, so I can't feed DS. I can't hand express and have lent my pump to a friend. Will the milk just dry up or do I need to do something about this (ie am I on a path to mastitis)? If I need to express, I'll visit the friend who has the pump. Would I drain the breast or just express to comfort? It's not that the boobs feel full, just hot and I have pain in my armpit..
DD - breastfeeding

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:13 pm

Would be good to express some. You could try hand expressing first - warmth before starting to help get milk flowing and then cool after if needed for pain relief. If that doesn't work then definitely try with a pump.
When you say breast feeling hot, are you also feeling hot? Perhaps a call to helpline to just talk it through and make sure everything is ok?

Hope it is feeling a bit better now, I've just noticed you posted this this morning
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI