How careful are you with salt?

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
Yankee

How careful are you with salt?

Post by Yankee » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:16 pm

We've just started baby-lead weaning, and for dinners in particular we just set aside a few pieces of whatever we're having that can be cut into finger-food.

I know you're meant to be very low on salt, so not to salt meals until they're on the table.

But the problem is, I love cooking Asian meals. And they almost always have either soy sauce or fish sauce - both of which have buckets of salt. But unlike plain salt, they add their own flavour as well, so if I left them out entirely it would be a very different flavour.

How careful were you about this kind of thing? Do you think it'd be OK if the dish only had one or two tablespoons total across the whole thing?
DD born September 2013

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Re: How careful are you with salt?

Post by Little Tiggermum » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:57 pm

um... not very... You're supposed to be, but lets face it- how much of it is she going to eat really?? and this is family foods... if she doesn't like it she won't eat it. Just don't add any additional salt.
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:24 pm

I rarely add salt to anything and TBH we dont eat a lot of sauces with salt in them. We do occasionally but it wasnt anything I worried too much about, purely because it wasnt that often.

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:43 pm

I usually pulled a few bits out before I added the soy at the end. So if there was a marinade the kids got some of that, but not the added soy at the end of cooking IYKWIM?

We don't eat many processed foods because I mostly cook from scratch, so I thought that gave us a bit of leeway on the odd bit of soy sauce.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

AbbeyCat
Trainee

Post by AbbeyCat » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:43 pm

I thought we really didn't eat anything with too much salt, but stupidly forgot about things like soy sauce! So, guess the answer is that we were not actually too careful after all!

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:33 am

I reckon I'll start by buying 'low sodium' soy sauce, that will certainly help. Not sure what to do about fish sauce though, it's even saltier than soy sauce (probably why I love it so much!). I guess I'll just stick to recipes that only have a few tablespoons total, especially since at the moment she hardly eats anything I don't think it's worth stressing over.

It's very eye-opening reading labels for sodium now. I gave her a stick of cheddar cheese the other day and thought, oh let me check ... turns out it's quite high in sodium! :roll: Soooo glad that DH and I don't have to reduce salt in our own diet, if we get high blood pressure it would suck.
DD born September 2013

Vitta

Post by Vitta » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi

This is an interesting question, my DH and I were talking about this last night when we were preparing dinner together that we've actually been limiting salt intake a lot, not through any conscious decision as it just happened.. We tend to give our DD veges that have been steamed, which is what we have for dinner too. We steam fish or have fish en papillote. As far as red meats go, this is simply pan fried with little salt, herbs and oil for taste. Other white meats like pork or chicken tend to have some recipe with them. Sometimes we oven bake foods, again with very little salt added but herbs like rosemary, thyme, sage etc for flavour. Occasionally we have tex mex chicken or meat burritos and we're careful what we give to DD to try because she tends to manipulate the foods and then might rub her eyes with the spices and chilly on her hands, so we will give it to her or make her pieces very mild. Fruits tend to be eaten raw. Pasta and rice have a recipe, or are plane jane, boiled in lightly salted water. We love hainanese chicken rice but this has bucket loads of sodium and so consumed rarely if bought, otherwise we modify the recipe at home and use salt reduced soy for example and add more ginger and shallot for flavour. We also use oil more than butter, and don't use lard at all. It can be really hard to avoid hidden salt but we find ourselves buying low salt versions of things like baked beans. It's been surprising to us but now when we have the rare bbq chicken, we complaint about how salty it is!

PellyintheWilderness

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:04 pm

We don't eat a lot of processed food, so our diet is reasonably low in salt. I put less salt into my cooking than I would if cooking just for myself, and we don't let the little ones add salt to their food at the table (the adults do, but I don't have a problem with having different rules for grownups - e.g. we get to drink wine or beer when they have to drink water). Everybody gets a free hand with the pepper grinder and the little ones love it.
I don't cook with soy or fish sauce all that often, but if I used a lot of it, I'd probably use a reduced-salt soy or tamari, and I'd substitute some that for part of the fish sauce (no low-salt versions of that, as far as I know). I'd probably increase the amounts of garlic, ginger and lime (and possibly chili, depending on the kids) to make up for any loss of flavour. You could also use home-made stock instead of water to boost the flavour without adding salt. You can neutralise the effect of the occasional salty meal by encouraging the kids to drink lots of water.
If you're trying to minimise your salt intake, be aware that most seasoning blends and ready-made sauces contain quite a lot of it!
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months