When to start water

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
Tracey

When to start water

Post by Tracey » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:46 pm

Things seem to have changed in the last few years, from when and what to start. I was just wondering when people introduce giving water to their babies. My little one is just starting on solids and still has lots breastfeeds. Do I hang off on giving water and just continue to breastfeed for fluids or should I be offering some water after meals. Bubs is six months

Thanks
Have a GREAT day!!!

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:20 pm

Hi,

Personally, I wouldn't offer water in a bottle. The forum ladies would tell you that I advocate using a tiny glass (like a shot glass) and offering just a little water from the open glass with the meal. At first, you just put about a finger-width (less than 1cm) into the glass and they can practice holding it themselves (with supervision) - add a little sponge (cut down a clean kitchen sponge and keep it for them to use) and they can help to wipe up the spills themselves!

Water is not 'necessary' if the child is demand-fed, and giving big bottles of water could substitute for breastmilk and reduce the overall nutrition.

And besides, I also advocate, where possible, weaning directly to a normal cup rather than to bottles with a teat or valve (bottles are only for parental convenience from 12 months onwards, and are not recommended after 12 months because they add a risk of tooth decay)...personally, I found sippy cups unhygienic (difficult to clean) but sometimes used a cup with a spout with holes in (not a 'no drip' one) - for when travelling. My kids also learned to used an ordinary straw quite early (I would tip the juice out of a juice container and put water in it and then practice with the tiny straw). Later on, I sometimes got 'milk boxes' for emergencies when out and about with a non-breastfed toddler... but they usually don't come with a straw - I took my own...

Hope that helps!

Normally for 6 month olds people will recommend that you either breastfeed before the meal (to take the edge off the hunger) or after the meal (did you know that breastmilk contains enzymes that actually help the child to digest the milk as well as solid food ?).... To enhance digestion, I'd tend to breastfeed after the meal...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:20 pm

I agree with nedsmum and wanted to add that an espresso cup has worked well for us. As I don't want to introduce lots of water yet (breast milk has been my preference for ds), we've treated it as an opportunity for fun. Good luck :)

Snake Hips Mcroy

Post by Snake Hips Mcroy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:27 pm

I started offering water with meals when we were doing BLW. Ie, I never handed him a cup or taught him to drink, just a cup on the high chair tray along with the food and let him go for it. He looooved water, and still does at 2 and a half.
DS1 - born May 2011, breastfed for 26 months
DS2 - born Dec 2013, breastfeeding like a champ

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:11 pm

We're similar to others - offered with 'meals' (i.e. food of some kind) from when DD was about 6 months old and started on solids. I think from memory we offered a small amount of water in something other than a bottle with teat - so a sippy cup, cup with a straw, regular plastic cup, or whatever we had on hand. We didn't worry about how much or how little she was getting, because she was (and is) getting breastmilk. It's a little more imperative now that she's spending longer periods of time away from me that she drinks adequate water during the day, but we haven't had a problem with that so far.
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:11 pm

We're similar to others - offered with 'meals' (i.e. food of some kind) from when DD was about 6 months old and started on solids. I think from memory we offered a small amount of water in something other than a bottle with teat - so a sippy cup, cup with a straw, regular plastic cup, or whatever we had on hand. We didn't worry about how much or how little she was getting, because she was (and is) getting breastmilk. It's a little more imperative now that she's spending longer periods of time away from me that she drinks adequate water during the day, but we haven't had a problem with that so far.
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:11 pm

I introduced it when they started drinking the bathwater...
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

millimum

Post by millimum » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:43 pm

Little Tiggermum wrote:I introduced it when they started drinking the bathwater...

We set up a tiny wading pool for DD over the weekend. Silly me gave her a beaker to play pouring with. Needless to say, she got LOTS of practice drinking from a cup. :roll:

AbbeyCat
Trainee

Post by AbbeyCat » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:44 pm

We didn't bother with offering water for quite a few months after introducing solids. It wasn't hot at that time of the year and her milk intake was high and actual solid intake low. After eventually offering her a sippy cup with meals it took her months to actually take more than a tiny sip during a 'meal'. We just kept an eye on her nappy output and general skin tone to check she was getting enough hydration. For ages she seemed to prefer sucking on a soaking wet washer in the bath!

Esther

Post by Esther » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Little Tiggermum wrote:I introduced it when they started drinking the bathwater...

*nods*
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Briggy

Post by Briggy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:16 pm

Does it mean it's ok not to boil the water after 6 months? It's been 5 years since I've had a baby, so it feels new again
ImageImage

FeeBee

Post by FeeBee » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:47 pm

Well the NHMRC guidelines say to boil water for bubs under 12 mths, which is why a MCHN told me to when I asked re DS1. But yes, when I saw DS1 and DS2 drinking bath water, I thought "What's the point?"

Snake Hips Mcroy

Post by Snake Hips Mcroy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:50 pm

I never boiled it :oops: Never occurred to me
DS1 - born May 2011, breastfed for 26 months
DS2 - born Dec 2013, breastfeeding like a champ

manomummy

Post by manomummy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:17 am

FeeBee wrote:Well the NHMRC guidelines say to boil water for bubs under 12 mths, which is why a MCHN told me to when I asked re DS1. But yes, when I saw DS1 and DS2 drinking bath water, I thought "What's the point?"

Wouldn't the boiling water to 12 months recommendation be more for the formula feeding.
I figured when they start putting everything in the mouth, tap water is sure not going to affect them.
DS 06 - BF for 28 months
DD1 09 - BF for 33 months
DD2 13 - new BF journey has started

fellare

Post by fellare » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:58 am

I wouldn't bother boiling tap water. tap water is pretty clean usually as the regulations here are very strict (stricter than for bottled water, which has e.coli in it yuk).

I never really introduced water. too lazy for it. He gets a cup and gets water in it when he asks for it. daycare provides water, obviously. I think they have a straw cup now. I prefer a normal cup, but it is messy. He often asks for water just to play with it, cheeky.

He also loves drinking the bath water, which worries me sometimes as it has soap and/or salt in it (epsom salt usually).

But overall I'm pretty meh about it. He gets boobiemilk when he's thirsty.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)