When to start water

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk

Postby FeeBee » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:27 pm

I agree manomummy. Guess NHMRC are just covering all bases for safety; up to parent's judgement then, as with most things.

p.93 new guidelines info for health workers:
9.4.5 Non-milk beverages
Breast milk or infant formula should be the main drink in the first 12 months. exclusively breastfed infants do not require additional fluids up to 6 months of age. For formula-fed infants, cooled boiled tap water may be used if additional fluids are needed. From around 6 months, small amounts of cooled boiled water can supplement breast milk or infant formula. consuming any other drinks in the first 12 months may interfere with an infant’s intake of breast milk or infant formula.
After 12 months, water and whole cow’s milk should be the main drinks offered. where available, clean and safe tap water should be offered, especially if it contains fluoride.
FeeBee

Re: When to start water

Postby Vitta » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:51 pm

Hi

My DD is now 10 mo. It wasn't until my DD was 9.5 mo that I made an effort to start to offer water. I sat her on my lap for meals, and it soon became too much for me that food was all over her and me, she kept butting her head into my chest to have a drink. There were also a couple of occurrences when her poos were formed, solid, and she had problems passing them a few times as indicated by her grunting, and irritability and inability to nap well. She did consume banana and that was part of the problem. She now consumes pears and other things that are less binding. I have a few questions.

Boiling vs not boiling
My DH and I were discussing whether to boil the tap water to give to my DD to sip during the day or with her meals. DH said that boiled water is likely to concentrate any heavy metals, and that it would not be any safer for DD to drink than tap water alone. My question is what do you think about giving water straight from the tap or do you boil it every time to your LO under 12 months old?

Quantity
We gave DD a bottle sippy cup thing, and she was downing it, drinking at least 25 mL. And then we gave her a cup and she was lapping at least 30 mL during her dinner. I asked the GP how much quantity of water could we offer, and she said up to 100 mL. Is this a lot? I have no idea…what do you do?

Bottle/sippy cup vs cups/measuring cups
What is the best way to offer LO water? She spills a lot with cups, and her autonomy is reduced when we help her so that the water doesn't drown her. Measuring cups are a little easier but still they spill everywhere. The fancy sippy bottle cup with the nip thing is hard for her to suck and she doesn't really have it during her meal or other times, unless I hold her like I'm going to BF her.

I have to admit that it really didn't occur to me that I had to offer her water, but it was becoming hard for me when she'd just want a quick sip and especially during meals. I hope I didn't let her miss out on hydration during the day because of this?

I'm hoping to hear from the wisdom of the group. Thanks
Vitta

Postby PellyintheWilderness » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:58 pm

Mine all relied on mummymilk for fluids until about 12 months. Then they got sippy (spout) cups with filtered water. I agree that "proper" cups would be better but I kept on using sippy cups until fairly late because a) I'm mess-phobic b) I'm lazy and c) they're very useful when out and about in the pram. Provided they are only ever used for water, I don't think sippy cups are necessarily very unhygienic.
Not a fan of fluoridated water but that's another story...
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months
PellyintheWilderness

Postby Yankee » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:18 pm

I found offering during meals was enough until around 11 months when I started offering between meals too, especially in warmer weather or when out (times when I realised I was thirsty). I didn't ever bother to boil the water, to be honest. Food isn't boiled, bath water isn't boiled, the floor she crawls all over isn't boiled.

We use a small open cup during meals at home, a sippy cup or straw cup when out.
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby Vitta » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:25 pm

Now I feel bad for offering water. Should I just be BF'ing DD for another two months??
Vitta

Postby Nedsmum » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:32 am

How old is your dd? The guidelines say it is fine to offer small quantities of water from 6 months onwards...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Postby Jenbt85 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:25 am

I've actually changed my thoughts since my last post. I got a bit fed up of the mess and moved to a sippy cup. I found that DS didn't really figure out a straw until recently (20 months). I don't have a dishwasher (sob), so I am a bit wary of getting straws clean, which is probably why he's only just figuring out a straw! We bought a sippy cup with a soft teat. It probably depends on what your baby likes and might take some experimentation.

I offered water from six months, but never got caught up on how much he consumed. My thoughts were that if he was thirsty, he'd let me know (I'd usually bf before offering solids and the sippy cup was always accessible to him).

I asked my Dr the boiled vs unboiled water question and he said "your first will get boiled, your second probably won't because you relax". I quickly gave up boiling the water. :D
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Postby Ducks » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:10 am

Jenbt85 wrote:I've actually changed my thoughts since my last post. I got a bit fed up of the mess and moved to a sippy cup. I found that DS didn't really figure out a straw until recently (20 months). I don't have a dishwasher (sob), so I am a bit wary of getting straws clean, which is probably why he's only just figuring out a straw!

I have a dishwasher but I can't imagine it cleaning straws! It just sprays water around. I don't think it would get inside a straw. I clean straws with pipe cleaners but i tend to use cheap sippy cups instead of straws as my ds destroed a couple of expensive straw cups and i didn't feel that they were worth the cost.
My kids have both been able to use an open cup with supervision before 12mths but I'm lazy so use sippy cups a lot. At cc they introduce open cups around 12mths at meal times.
Ducks

Postby Yankee » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:48 am

I don't think anyone should feel guilty about offering water after 6 months! Chances are seriously slim that they drink so much water they wouldn't have an appetite for milk or food. They'll just pee more.

DD loves her straw cup. I only got it recently because she wasn't drinking much water from a sippy cup when we were out, and I've cut down on bf enough that I was starting to get concerned about her fluids. She drinks significantly more through the straw up than she ever did in a sippy.

I'm not too worried about cleanliness because she only ever uses it with water and we only use it a few times a week. In a few months I'll replace the straw (it came with a spare) and after that she'll probably be on to something else anyway!
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby Vitta » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:35 pm

Ok, I won't feel bad. DD is just over 10 mo, and the guidelines state that water is permissible.

I do wonder if the recommendation to boil water has to do with the fact that some parts of the world that water is unsafe to drink straight from the tap?

I'm just amazed at how I'm scrutinising water for my DD!
Vitta

Postby Jenbt85 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:31 am

Vitta wrote:
I'm just amazed at how I'm scrutinising water for my DD!

I remember thinking the same for DS. Makes a change from scrutinising nappies!
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Postby Vitta » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:52 am

I haven't even thought of nappies - major guilt here as I can't work this one out either…
Vitta

Previous

Return to Introducing Solids & Weaning