So how do you...

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
4fun

So how do you...

Post by 4fun » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:47 pm

Wean exactly without using a substitute. My older two i swapped their last couple of feeds with a bottle. Dd will not take it, wont take milk other than breast milk at all, not from a bottle or cup or anything. I would like to wean her off her last two feeds in the next couple of months but im clueless as to how to do it with no substitute.
Im not that concerned about her not drinking milk because she'll eat yoghurt and cheese etc so i can get her calcium other ways.
[/list]
DS1 July 2008
DS2 November 2009
DD November 2011
DD2 March 2014

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:37 pm

I would say just drop them gradually, she is 1 so doesn't really need a substitute.

ETA Just keep her busy and distracted around what would be feed time, and if you feed to sleep start rocking/patting etc

veganmama

Post by veganmama » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:54 pm

What about a non-dairy milk? My DS loves almond milk and its very high in calcium.

marie7

Post by marie7 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:10 pm

I always just offered water, or milk in a cup... Even though he didn't really drink it, it just signalled to him what he could have instead of he was thirsty... Hth goodluck
DS APRIL 09 BF 2YRS DS2 FEB 12 BF
Number 3 on its way due 18 may!!
Fellare is storking me!! :)

Nina-May

Post by Nina-May » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:13 pm

Ive recently tried on a few occasions to give dd a bottle but she won't take it. I have heard you may need to offer up new foods/drinks up to ten times before baby will accept so maybe just keep offering for a while, bit wasteful with the milk thats all.

A LC told me to try adding a couple of drops of vanilla essence or milo, although those options were obviously geared towards cups and I'm not sure of how healthy an option they are.

Keep us posted...I'm interested to know how you get on.

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:47 pm

I'd probably focus on reducing / dropping the feeds, and wouldn't worry at all about milk in a bottle or anything else for that matter - if your LO happily gets their dairy quotient from other sources, then milk as a drink isn't really necessary at all.
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:37 am

just focus on having them learn to eat/drink by themselves. In childcare training, bottles are discouraged from 12 months anyway - sure, plenty of parents use them, but definitely by 18 months they can manage to feed themselves and drink as much as they need to from a normal cup, even if it is messier than a non-spill option...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

4fun

Post by 4fun » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:54 am

Thanks all. i guess my main concern is really will she be full enough overnight without a drink of milk an hr or 2 before bed. She sleeps til about 5-6 in the mornings then has a feed and usually not always, goes back to sleep for an hr or so.

My boys only used a bottle until about 18months by which stage there were competent with a regular "special" cup.
DS1 July 2008
DS2 November 2009
DD November 2011
DD2 March 2014

MM

Post by MM » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:10 am

3B'B wrote:Thanks all. i guess my main concern is really will she be full enough overnight without a drink of milk an hr or 2 before bed. She sleeps til about 5-6 in the mornings then has a feed and usually not always, goes back to sleep for an hr or so.
We tried night weaning a few months ago, and my DS doesn't really like cows milk either. Trouble was he was so HUNGRY by 4am we had to get up and have snacks... Poor kid was starving and would eat half a potato! I decided to go back to feeding cause it was easier than getting up and putting the lights on and organising food etc.

Have you tried milk in a sippy cup? He will occasionally have that whereas he'll never drink it from a glass or a cup when he can see it :roll:

I guess we'll try again later if he doesn't do it of his own accord (and asctually there are some glimmers of hope - just this last few weeks he's slept through! I thought it would never happen!)
DS - May 2011

4fun

Post by 4fun » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:10 am

MM wrote: Trouble was he was so HUNGRY by 4am we had to get up and have snacks... Poor kid was starving and would eat half a potato! I decided to go back to feeding cause it was easier than getting up and putting the lights on and organising food etc.

Have you tried milk in a sippy cup? He will occasionally have that whereas he'll never drink it from a glass or a cup when he can see it :roll:
This is exactly my concern. She eats plenty of food but i still worry. Tried sippy cup with hard spout, sippy cup with soft spout, bottle and regular cup. She took about 5 tiny sips from her soft spouted cup yesterday but thats the best she's done.
DS1 July 2008
DS2 November 2009
DD November 2011
DD2 March 2014