How many feeds and how to handle BLW?

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
clairek766

How many feeds and how to handle BLW?

Post by clairek766 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:16 pm

DS is 12 months old and started child care a month ago.

We do BLW with him and he is demand fed, which has made child care a little tricky as they won't let him self feed.

At home he bf's upon waking, before both naps, then a few snacks in the evening, before bed, and through the night. He doesn't really eat much in the way of solids. This is concerning me a bit actually. Shouldn't he be hving more solids by now?

So, my question is how to handle the child care situation. At the moment I'm sending along 200ml of milk and they were offering it before each nap but he wasn't drinking it, so now she's offering it after naps and he's drinking more apparently. Only thing is after his first nap it's lunch time so she wanted to know if it was ok to feed him before his botle - I said it was ok but to give it a bit of time for his food to settle before his bottle of EBM.

Am I doing the right thing? He is getting predominantly solids there - breakfast lunch and 2 snacks and only drinking about 100mL of milk. At home it's a different story and he's having way more milk than solids.

I'm not sure what I should be tellling them to do! I'm worried it will confuse DS with his BFs and solids, and I don't want to risk early weaning.

Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated :)

Thanks,

fellare

Post by fellare » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:10 am

why don't they let him self feed? he's 12 months, he should be self feeding by now even if he was TW.

as for your question, I don't know, but personally I'd prefer them to stick to the same rythm as home as much as possible.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Sounds fine to me. My two are 11 months old and what you describe as a home day is pretty typical of what happens here. Even if he is eating more solids at daycare than at home I wouldn't worry at this age, it sounds like your DS just prefers to have his milk straight from the source rather than in a bottle :)