Weaning at 11mths

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
nat_b

Weaning at 11mths

Post by nat_b » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi,

I've decided to slowly start weaning my 11mth old daughter but have a few questions. I plan to stop 1 feed per week. Over the last fortnight, I've cut out her 10:30am & 2:30pm feeds & have been offering formula (sippy or open cup) & a snack instead. She will eat solids & drink water, but is not interested in formula at all (might have 1-2 sips).

This works okay for the daytime but I'm wondering how I'm going to cut down her evening or night time feeds, particularly as when she wakes for a feed, she seems to be genuinely hungry so I don't feel like I can just settle her another way. I cant just feed her solids constantly!! Does anyone have any advice on how I would tackle this?

She is currently usually feeds: 7am, 6:30pm, 10:30pm, 3:30am. Also, I plan to transition to cows milk once she turns 1 but I'm still going to be a problem whether I use cows milk, formula or expressed milk.
DD Nov 2011

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:38 pm

Hi natb

Congratulations on making it to 11 months of breastfeeding. Your plan to wean gradually sounds very sensible - it will protect you from sudden engorgement and mastitis and give you and your LO time to adjust to a new way of doing things.

I'm no great champion at night weaning - so this is not based on anything that worked for our family - but what we usually suggest is to distract and delay from feeds. With night feeds that might mean offering a drink of water and a cuddle, and maybe seeing if your partner could try resettling your LO. As you cut out the other feeds and your milk supply decreases you may find your LO loses interest in those night feeds anyway, although that is not guaranteed.

But you could be right - your LO may be hungry in the middle of the night - her tummy is still very small and she might need a top up. Also, as you know breastfeeding is about more than nutrition, and she could just want to cuddle with you too. Hard to know which it is, but you are the expert on your baby so your instinct is probably right. Some sleep books I have read recommend a substantial snack just before bed to fuel up for over night (remembering to brush teeth after the snack). That might be worth trying.

How would you feel about breaking this up into 'chunks'? Carry on with the day weaning as you have been, and once that is sorted, then think about your options for night weaning if your LO still wants those night time feeds? You didn't mention if you have a reason for needing to wean (and you don't need one) or a deadline so I'm not sure if that would work for you.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

nat_b

Post by nat_b » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:57 pm

Thanks for the advice mummy woo - yes I'd definately be up for looking at doing it in chunks.

FYI- My reasons for weaning are:
1. My goal was always to make to it 12mths & now I just feel like its the right time to start that process
2. I feel abit tired of being the only one who can feed her in the evenings/ nighttime
3. My DH & I have just started ttc & this is likely to help.

So no real set 'deadline' as such.
DD Nov 2011