Knocking everything off high chair table

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
marie7

Knocking everything off high chair table

Post by marie7 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:00 am

What do people do, once your little one starts doing this? Ds2 loves fingers foods, mostly has a chew, then gets his whole arm with a sweeping action and knocks everything off... When I pick it back up and put it back he does it again... Fun yes... Haha sometimes he doesn't pick it up and give it a chew first he just gets it on the floor straight away... How do you handle this?? I don't care if it's on the floor or if he's not hungry, but I don't want it to become a game where he stos eating things and just chucks them... Once on the floor it stays there? If he's not going to try it this time, and it ends up on the floor so be it... Would that be the best way to handle it? I'm sure all blw babies do this? Tia
DS APRIL 09 BF 2YRS DS2 FEB 12 BF
Number 3 on its way due 18 may!!
Fellare is storking me!! :)

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:34 am

Babies learn more about physics in the first three years of life than the whole rest of their lives combined. DS2 has discovered gravity and Newton's first law - good on him!

Do you have a dog? We had a dog when Oobiwoo started solids and it was great. We didn't have a dog when Mrs Moops started solids and it was not so great because I had to pick up the scraps. I used to give her a little bit of food, then when she chucked it give her a little more - saved me crawling on the floor. Still a bit of waste, but I tell myself that BLW will make for better eaters in the long run, so a bit of waste now is a price I was prepared to pay. Mess was more of a concern for me because I am such a slack housekeeper at the best of times.

Taking the high chair outside and leaving the scraps for the birds and worms might be another option.

You can also, with supervision, core out an apple, thread a ribbon through the core-hole, and make an edible apple necklace. Obviously you wouldn't leave a baby unattended. An elderly relation of mine said she used to make one each day for her youngest boy (youngest of four) and then send him out the back to play all day, secure in the knowledge he wouldn't starve (Ah, 50s parenting!)
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Skeeta

Post by Skeeta » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:40 am

Monicat mentioned in a recent post that she puts a shower curtain under the highchair, shakes the scraps outside afterwards and wipes it down.

fellare

Post by fellare » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:51 am

we've got a plastic tablecloth under the highchair, easy to clean.

swiping usually means he's not interested or there is too much on there and it overwhelms him. In case of the latter, he'll swipe his plate and eats the two things that are left on there.

they stop doing it when they figure out food is food and there to be eaten. probably another few months.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

4fun

Post by 4fun » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:21 pm

I just give a few at a time and start by getting her to take the first piece from my hand. This way we avoid the "ive had enough time to use the entire contents of my bowl, to decorate the floor, paint my face, smoosh in my hair or hit my older brothers with as they walk past". We still get mess but its a lot less because she only gets a few bits at a time. Also i just got a stick on bowl. I had one but it was useless this one actually works! So entire bowl cant be dumped.

Oh and high chairs are vacuum-able! :wink:
DS1 July 2008
DS2 November 2009
DD November 2011
DD2 March 2014

fellare

Post by fellare » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:30 pm

yes!

and you know when it gets even more fun.... when they learn how to take their bib off! It will happen during the messiest meal available :lol: S does it every time now, when he's finished, he'll swipe his table clean and then takes his long sleeve cover all bib off.

soon they'll learn how to throw too!

aren't they lucky you're not allowed to kill them :twisted:

I love my little man!

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:40 pm

DS does this but instead of a big swipe it's a very purposeful "pick up each item and drop onto floor". I found that if I gave him any kind of reaction he would do it more and look directly at me while doing it, waiting to see my reaction. Now I ignore the behaviour completely and he only does it when he's finished eating or when he's not interested in a particular food. I usually give it back to him once and if he does it again I know he's really done! He gets offered meals or snacks about every 2 hours anyway so I know he's not going to starve.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Mummy79

Post by Mummy79 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:16 pm

What does BLW stand for? :shock:
Me - 33
DH- 31
DD - 3 years
DS - 9 months
Dog - 4 years
Cat - 5 years
Lizard - 10 years (approx)

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:21 pm

Baby Led Weaning
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Skeeta wrote:Monicat mentioned in a recent post that she puts a shower curtain under the highchair, shakes the scraps outside afterwards and wipes it down.

Yep (minus the wiping it down bit, I'm lazy :lol: I'll chuck it in the wash if it gets too feral.)

Lucy will drop food over the side piece by piece and wave to them :lol:

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:12 pm

Mummy woo! wrote:You can also, with supervision, core out an apple, thread a ribbon through the core-hole, and make an edible apple necklace. Obviously you wouldn't leave a baby unattended. An elderly relation of mine said she used to make one each day for her youngest boy (youngest of four) and then send him out the back to play all day, secure in the knowledge he wouldn't starve (Ah, 50s parenting!)

:smt044 Pmsl I love this!

Mummy79

Post by Mummy79 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:52 pm

ClOuD_NiNe wrote:Baby Led Weaning

Oh, I think that's what my DS is doing! :(
Me - 33
DH- 31
DD - 3 years
DS - 9 months
Dog - 4 years
Cat - 5 years
Lizard - 10 years (approx)

fellare

Post by fellare » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:26 pm

mummy, it doesn't really mean weaning, it means introducing solids baby led way. So instead of spoonfeeding, you give them whole bits of food.

Weaning is what the english people use for introducing solids. Go google it, it's very interesting!

marie7

Post by marie7 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:54 pm

Thanks all... Well the putting one or two things at a time on the table worked much better!! He ate more before throwing it... We have a dog so wasn't concerned about the mess, just about it becoming a game as such... So once it's on the floor it's gone... And I have another piece on his plate next to me to put on his table!! Vola!! Ta girls
DS APRIL 09 BF 2YRS DS2 FEB 12 BF
Number 3 on its way due 18 may!!
Fellare is storking me!! :)

ams545

Post by ams545 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:24 am

My DS does the same, but I have found it's usually when he's had enough or not interested in that particular food. (He's also 1, but was doing similar things to your bubba at that age.) Anyway I have found I can put a bowl in front of him and the time he starts to play with it is boredom and the "get me outta this chair!" signal. Then the bib comes off too. I used to use a suction bowl, that didn't work too well, because it was more interesting to get it off the high chair than to eat anything in it.

We have managed to teach him that if he doesn't want a particular thing he offers it to Dad or myself before throwing on the floor. It's working and he likes to help clean up at the end too now.
Ams

DS - 1 year old and breastfeeding strong!