my nearly 11 month old not eating much or having much water

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
bronn

my nearly 11 month old not eating much or having much water

Post by bronn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi ladies just been pondering about my sons eating habits. 3 bottles a day. Eats brekky sometimes eats lunch eats arvo tea but dinner time he refuses spoonfed meals then he refuses finger foods and to keep the peace i resort to pouch food... which he happily sucks out esp if hes teething or is sick... should i be concerned? Does he just not like my cooking.... i am worried he is going to be fussy. I wish i had of done blw. Oh and water he often refuses and its a struggle to get him to have a sip... help ladies please!

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:41 pm

How much milk is he having in 24 hours ? Is he breastfed at all, or just bottles ?

I see nothing wrong with giving 'breakfast' foods for dinner and 'dinner' foods for breakfast - not sure about pouch food, how high is the sugar and salt content ? Any carbohydrate or protein ?

How late is dinner ? Maybe he's too tired by then to be really interested in food ?

I would not force the water if he's having 600mL of milk a day (assuming bottles are 200mL)... but do you offer water in a cup ?

At work we offer water in a small shot-glass sized cup - we have glasses for this (shot glass sort of things) and also some tiny plastic 'picnic' cups - and we only put about 1cm of water into the cup...

Do you offer the finger foods at every meal ? How much variety are you offering ? Is he overall healthy - does he have good output and overall height/weight/head circumference ?

Around this age the babies do seem to be teething a lot and that means they may be a bit sensitive about putting things into their mouth..

It was said to me that it's a good idea to look at 'intake' over a 3 day cycle - two days light eating, one day heavy eating would be 'typical' and with the milk as a backup plan, the solid foods are not the most important intake of nutrition - but lots of experience with different tastes, textures, practice with using a spoon or fork, learning to drink from a cup or even a normal straw instead of a 'valved' 'non drip' alternative, are all good skills to learn - for some kids, even learning to sit at the table for 5-10 minutes and to eat the food rather than put their hands in it and spread it around, is an achievement at this age!
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:21 pm

Great advice from Nedsmum. Doing BLW does not ensure a non-fussy eater either! :D We did BLW with DS and from 6-12 months he took to it with gusto. Then at around a year old suddenly decided that now he wants to be very picky about what he eats (the fussy toddler stage?). I've been told that this is a very common stage, and one day he'll grow out of it (but it could be a good couple of years!) - I just keep telling myself that he knows what he needs and to trust his appetite.

As for the water, DS refused from a sippy cup for a while there, so we bought a straw cup and he loves it! He also likes copying whatever I am doing, so if I'm drinking tea out of a mug I'll offer him water out of his own mug (or sometimes like Nedsmum suggested, from a shot glass) and he will always drink it. Other times he likes to drink out of my water bottle just because I am. And then there's those times he'll drink the bath water... :roll: All I can suggest is be creative!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

clairek766

Post by clairek766 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:33 pm

Sounds like my 11 month old DS - and we are doing BLW!

bronn

Post by bronn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:58 pm

It doesn't help that he is always sick or teething! He still refuses to eat some things out of a bowl or off a plate. If i use them he turns it into a banging game or pick up and throw everywhere! He loves drinking water from my drink bottle or my cup! And when hes sick he drinks loads of water. He has 3 bottles a day morn, 2pm, bedtime!! Each between 130-200ml. Should i consider dropping his 2pm bottle?? Clairek766 what do you give your child in the way of blw? How do you cope? I'm just afraid that after he turns 1 he will still be loving to eat mash. Rarely refuses to eat much finger foods like vegies, rissoles, chicken strips etc? When hes teething or sick he'll demolish his yoghurt and puree but won't eat anything else from the spoon... hmmm i should prob start offering him to self feed like the last bits of his meals... its just so hard!!! I'm stressing. Have i done things right by him!!

bronn

Post by bronn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:04 pm

It doesn't help that he is always sick or teething! He still refuses to eat some things out of a bowl or off a plate. If i use them he turns it into a banging game or pick up and throw everywhere! He loves drinking water from my drink bottle or my cup! And when hes sick he drinks loads of water. He has 3 bottles a day morn, 2pm, bedtime!! Each between 130-200ml. Should i consider dropping his 2pm bottle?? Clairek766 what do you give your child in the way of blw? How do you cope? I'm just afraid that after he turns 1 he will still be loving to eat mash. Rarely refuses to eat much finger foods like vegies, rissoles, chicken strips etc? When hes teething or sick he'll demolish his yoghurt and puree but won't eat anything else from the spoon... hmmm i should prob start offering him to self feed like the last bits of his meals... its just so hard!!! I'm stressing. Have i done things right by him!!

fellare

Post by fellare » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:27 pm

the golden rule: food is for fun until they are one! (or one and a half, it really doesn't matter, they let you know when they are hungry).

so don't worry much yet. Perhaps just let him play with his food as he likes, you can still start blw sort of, at least the finger food bit. Just offer what you're eating when you're eating and he'll most likely start copying. Skip the bowls, they are for throwing, just give him food straight on the tray!
we just put a couple of table spoons worth of food directly from our plate on his tray and often enough he'll just play with it. exploring texture and color and squashability and some will get into his mouth, where he'll taste it, feel it, sniff it, move it around, spit it out, put it back in. some even gets swallowed! It's all ok, most food comes from milk still. You can formula feed on demand too, I'm pretty sure.

we put a plastic table cloth under the high chair, makes cleaning up a ton easier.

try and relax, your baby won't starve himself and will get it in the end. I know someone who did blw and bub didn't even put things in his mouth until he was 18 months. Happy healthy teenager now! no food issues at all and no health issues either.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:40 pm

If he's only having 3 bottles (and none overnight) - total 500-600mL then I'd say that's plenty, and you could reduce the milk or start to give the meal first and the milk 30 minutes or an hour after the mealtimes, and see how that goes...

The sick and/or teething thing at this age really does affect their eating from day to day - we have babies this age at work, and one day they will basically just drink milk, and the next they might have 4 meals/snacks... you can trust your baby...

At work a typical 12 month old would have a bottle or breastfeed early morning (6:30-7am), snack/breakfast 8:30, 'lunch' 11:00, 'snack' or bottle of milk 2pm, another snack at 3:30-4pm, then go home to 'dinner' around 6-7pm and possibly another bottle in the late evening.

It does change a lot from 12 - 18 months, and by 18 months we don't give any bottles in the daytime (although they may often be having one in the early morning and one before bedtime at home)...

All 'rules' go out the window when the child is teething or sick - we had a bubs last week with gastro (8 month old) who was on a drip and naso-gastric tube Saturday, breastfed only on Sunday and Monday, and came to childcare for 6 hours Tuesday where she ate four meals! - it's really what they 'feel like' - and trusting your child to know what their body needs!
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:55 pm

Nedsmum wrote:All 'rules' go out the window when the child is teething or sick

^--^ This is so true, when DS is sick all he usually wants is bottles (about 150ml every 2 hours), won't touch food. At 14 months I am trying to up his food intake and slowly wean off the bottles, or the daytime ones at least, but I figure when he's sick he can have anything he feels like, even if all he has is milk at least he's having something!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

bronn

Post by bronn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:32 am

thank you ladies :-)