Is my 6.5 month old eating too much?

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
sals77

Is my 6.5 month old eating too much?

Post by sals77 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:48 pm

My 6.5 month old has been on solids for 2 months (rec by paed) and really took to them.

I limited her to 1-2 tablesp / feed (2 and then 3 x day) until she was 6 months but in the last couple of weeks I've relaxed and let her eat what she wants. But she eats anything and everything.

She'll eat full pouch of food when she's out and I'm wondering if that's too much!?

She's still BFing 6 times a day but they are fairly quick, 5-10 mins.

Thanks

wilfred

Post by wilfred » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:30 pm

DS2 was like this. He would eat a full raffertys and then bf.

Perhaps your DD is becoming an efficient feeder.
Me: 38
DH: 38
DS1: 11.5 bf for 6 weeks
DD1: 8.5 bf for 13 weeks
DS2: 6.5 bf for 26 months
DD2: 4 bf for 3 yrs and 2 weeks

marie7

Post by marie7 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:45 pm

My ds2 is like this... Has been since about 6.5months also... He slams down a 9mths jar of food, followed by a bf and he would have had a bf only an hour or so before solids!! This morning he ate 3/4 of an avocado :shock: as long as his nappies are ok I would go with it...
DS APRIL 09 BF 2YRS DS2 FEB 12 BF
Number 3 on its way due 18 may!!
Fellare is storking me!! :)

Ms Dee

Post by Ms Dee » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:16 pm

My DS2 is like this too, so different to his big brother. And he still loves to breastfeed. He is in the 98th percentile for height, so not sure if thats' why
DS1 - 1st Feb 2009, BF'd 14.5 months
DS2 - currently breastfeeding...

fellare

Post by fellare » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:16 pm

I think they often breastfeed after food to help digestion as BM is full of digestive enzymes. I call this feed dessert. :-D

I have no idea what a brand name pouch of food is :oops:
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:39 pm

mrsfrog wrote:I think they often breastfeed after food to help digestion as BM is full of digestive enzymes. I call this feed dessert. :-D

I have no idea what a rafferty is :oops:

It's a pouch of puree/mash, I think - although by the time I post this, a canny mod will have probably removed the brand name anyway. :wink:

Re. the OP - my experience with DD (now 18 months and an avid eater, and also still bfing) is that she has always been very good at regulating her food intake. Some days / weeks she eats like a teenage boy :shock: - but then she'll eat like a bird for a few days, or only eat fruit, or decide she's seriously into carbs. I figure she knows what she needs, and we've always let her feed herself (google 'Baby Led Weaning / Baby Led Solids' for more info on this approach), so I don't worry too much. :)
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

sals77

Post by sals77 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:33 pm

Gwen's Mum wrote:
mrsfrog wrote:I think they often breastfeed after food to help digestion as BM is full of digestive enzymes. I call this feed dessert. :-D

I have no idea what a brand name pouch of food is :oops:

It's a pouch of puree/mash, I think - although by the time I post this, a canny mod will have probably removed the brand name

He he- no 'brand' mentioning intended - it's just the name given to those ouch things like we call all plasters band aids! We usually give home made food but when out use the pouches and it made be realize how much she is eating!

I read the baby lead weaning book and intend to switch to this but she's so happy and content taking spoon food that I'm kind of going to do both (although that's a bit contradictory).

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:53 pm

My DS was the same, right from 6 months when we started giving him solids he ate phenomenal amounts of food as well as bf'ing as per usual (I always offered a bf before food).

Then at around a year old he suddenly became fussy, go figure.

As long as your DD is still bf'ing lots and not getting any constipation issues with the increase in solids (this happened to my DS, we had to cut back on the solids for a bit) then I would think the amount she's eating is fine :D
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Skeeta

Post by Skeeta » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:29 am

DS2 will have a quick sip on the breast after a feed and stop when the milk lets down. Which is kinda annoying in a way lol...I sometimes offer him a lap of water off a spoon instead (just enough to wet his whistle) but generally it's better to offer the breast when they're still this little hey wot. :-) Depends on what's going on at the time.