Bowl, plates, spoons ect.

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
marie7

Bowl, plates, spoons ect.

Post by marie7 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:25 am

When doing blw when have people introduced these? Ds2 just gets given what were eating but it gets put straight on the high chair for fingers... If I put it on a plate or bowl he picks up the plate and wants to eat that.... :shock: Haha when should I introduce a spoon too? if I preload a spoon with something. It usually ends up half in his mouth and over his face... So when should I start the teaching of spoon into food then in to mouth from a bowl?? Or do they slowly just get that themselves in time....
DS APRIL 09 BF 2YRS DS2 FEB 12 BF
Number 3 on its way due 18 may!!
Fellare is storking me!! :)

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:41 am

:smt102 sometime before theyre 21 is probably good. :lol:

DS kept stealing bits of DDs dinner last night by grabbing the spoon himself when it was near him. I figure its just another one of those things they learn themselves over time. Im just introducing foods at the mo, havent even thought about plates,bowls cutlery etc.

4fun

Post by 4fun » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:21 am

At the moment dd just likes to play with one sometimes. Its as interesting as all the bits of food. When i notice her making the connection that spoons pick up food and starts trying ill start to teach her the whole scoop it action.

I cant eve remember my boys... Actually, i think ds1 was eating his own tub of yoghurt by now with a spoon, ds2 i dunno.....
DS1 July 2008
DS2 November 2009
DD November 2011
DD2 March 2014

Skeeta

Post by Skeeta » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:27 am

Look for bowls that have a suction base to stick on the highchair tray. They stick better if the tray is kinda damp from being wiped. Give him one small spoon to hold (I use plastic, no BPA and fairly rounded on both ends) and feed him a few teaspoons with another - then let him go nuts with both spoons and/or his fingers while you eat your meal. :D Don't worry about plates and forks til later down the track imo.

Otty

Post by Otty » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:28 am

DS has just started eating out of a bowl with a spoon. (17 months) He loves it. He still uses his fingers as well but then goes back to the spoon. I've just started putting finger food on a plate for him but most of the time he takes it off.
ImageImage

Welcome baby Alice!

trilbs

Post by trilbs » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:52 am

I bought a suction bowl and give DD weetbix or mash in it. She just uses her hands to eat it, that way it is easier for her to grab. She is difficult to spoon feed or even load a spoon for. She mostly has finger foods on her tray though.
Was storked by 2peacefeed :-D

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:38 pm

Judging by how my kids eat, spoons are entirely unecessary until at least 5 years of age :roll: :oops:
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

DellaWellaWoman

Post by DellaWellaWoman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:46 pm

Mummy woo! wrote:Judging by how my kids eat, spoons are entirely unecessary until at least 5 years of age :roll: :oops:

Make that 6+ :oops:

DD2 sits nicely & eats with her fork or spoon, DD1 prefers the direct approach :roll:
DD1 breastfed 6 years, 7 months
DD2 still going at 5 years :D
Honoured to have been storked by Capricious

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:41 pm

DellaWellaWoman wrote:
Mummy woo! wrote:Judging by how my kids eat, spoons are entirely unecessary until at least 5 years of age :roll: :oops:

DD2 sits nicely & eats with her fork or spoon, DD1 prefers the direct approach :roll:

I feel a lot better about DD's equally 'direct approach' to eating now! :oops: She very often sits with an unused spoon in one hand, and uses the other hand to actually get food to her mouth. :roll:
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:58 am

Gwen's Mum wrote:
DellaWellaWoman wrote:

I feel a lot better about DD's equally 'direct approach' to eating now! :oops: She very often sits with an unused spoon in one hand, and uses the other hand to actually get food to her mouth. :roll:

I feel better now too - I seem to be surrounded by children with lovely table manners and mine are a bit feral!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

danigirl

Post by danigirl » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:15 am

I can't remember when my daughter actually started using a spoon (maybe around 1ish but not sure) but I did offer her a preloaded spoon with sloppy meals and used a suction bowl as well as the direct highchair. I'm sure we did directly on the highchair for a long time (as she would throw the bowl otherwise) as I remember doing it at restaurants at lot (so had antibacterial wipes to clean the highchair tray first).
With baby led solids you don't really need to teach them anything, just offer the opportunity and they'll do it when they're ready. So if you never give the baby a spoon or plate they'll never learn how to use it. But they will watch you and try to do it the way you do.
She's 2 1/2 now and uses all utensils really well - we have even just introduced a children's knife (but she can't use that effectively yet) - but all good with spoons, forks, cups and plates.

Also remember that puree fed baby's have got to learn to eat with a spoon too at some time so they will be just as messy then. Your baby will probably master the spoon earlier due to all the extra fine motor, coordination and perceptual practice BLS gives.

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:42 pm

At work our babies are eating with plates, bowls, forks and spoons between 8-10 months, with some level of success, but we do a combination of finger and spoon food. After about 12 months we expect that they can manage with some level of independence (eating mostly without being spoon-fed by the adult) and by 18 months they are all self-feeding and with most (but definitely not all) the level of mess has decreased.

However, it's extremely messy, time consuming, and we have a team of staff who all know the routine/method that we have with the food, so there's plenty of practice (3-4 times per day they are sitting at the low table to eat meals.

They also learn to use a small 'shot glass' size cup with water - just about 1cm in the bottom.

We do have pretty tight rules and have enough staff to watch when the child is no longer interested in eating, is playing with the food, or just plain making mess, or wants a different choice (we always give 2-3 vege choices plus one carb and one protein source at the main meals)... and we do remove the plates/cups/food or take the child away from the table as soon as they are no longer interested. - that's age 6-18 months.

From 18 months they are encouraged/expected to sit at the table with a group of children and one adult, until most children have finished eating, which takes probably never longer than 20 minutes maximum of sitting, eating, drinking, chatting and waiting...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!