8mo weaning himself?? :(

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
Tish-tashy

8mo weaning himself?? :(

Post by Tish-tashy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:00 pm

I have an 8mo son who is breastfed. He has a 7,11,3 and 6:30 feed and if he wakes during the night (which isn't often) he has a feed but that is more for comfort.

Over the last several weeks (or poss more) he hasn't been interested in his 11am and 3pm feed. He will suck for a few mins sometimes getting letdown sometimes not. He doesn't get annoyed or anything but just doesn't want it and tries to get up. I have also tried different positions with same outcome.

This is not refusal as we have been through that phase before (for 3 weeks!). He still has a big feed in the morning and night time varies.

He is breastfed an hour before solids and is a good eater.

The other day I decided to trial a bottle of formula after he didn't want a feed. It was his first try of it and he took 100ml! So I decided to be tricky and give him a bottle of EBM the next day and he didn't drink it! I even tried in his sippy cup.

I really want to keep breastfeeding but worried he is weaning from me? I want to make sure he still gets the milk intake he needs.

Anyone been through this?

Thanks!

4fun

Post by 4fun » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:26 pm

My eldest weaned off his bfeeds at 8.5 months & then i found out i was pregnant.....
DS1 July 2008
DS2 November 2009
DD November 2011
DD2 March 2014

Skeeta

Post by Skeeta » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi :-)
Has he been taking more solid food of recent times? Some bubs his age are having 3 sizeable meals a day which isn't usually necessary. If you don't feel he's eating too much or don't wanna size down his portions, I guess you could express on the missed feeds and mix that in his food. He's probably just getting distracted, so much to see and learn. :D At least a bit of expressing here and there will keep your milk up (it might have dropped back) until he decides to stop foofing around lol.

Most bottles are easy to drink from and give him the chance to look around more which might be why he swigged down the formula?
Has your period returned? There could be some milk flavour changes happening.
Or *Possibly* a coincidence that he took ABM but not the EBM?

marie7

Post by marie7 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:21 pm

Could you try feeding him at different times of the day? It could be that he would like a breastfeed at 10 instead or 4... Try not to do feeds by a clock for awhile? it's a very distract able age and some find it good to feed to sleep, is he having around 2 day sleeps? This works for my 7 month old who is getting very distracted..... It gets a bit more milk in to them, or dream feed before you go to bed... This is when you pick but up, pop them on the breast while there sleepy and they drink milk while there sleepy... And cutting down solids a little helps too.... Milk is still the main source of nutrition at that age. Hth
DS APRIL 09 BF 2YRS DS2 FEB 12 BF
Number 3 on its way due 18 may!!
Fellare is storking me!! :)

fellare

Post by fellare » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:07 pm

same as Marie, often he won't feed unless it's in a dark bedroom, pretending to go to sleep. So much to see, things to do, places to go, they're unstoppable. And it can't be uncommon, I've seen plenty of threats like this come around.

As for the formula, could be coincidence, could be that you were feeling more tense with the EBM and he reacted to that, could be that you held the bottle different. Could be that you're pregnant, or periods coming back or other hormonal change. Could be solarflares.

I would just stick to breastfeeding on demand. We call formula Artificial breastmilk, which suggests that if he wants formula he should also want breastmilk. He's not weaning, cause if he was, he would not want any milk.

perhaps back off on the solids a little

fwiw, mine stopped morning feeds last month (at 7 months) he'll have a feed at 7am and the next one often no earlier than 1pm. Gave me a big fright, but he's fine with it. They become so efficient at feeding!
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:02 pm

Like the others have said, my DS also became super distracted at that age. It was the start of weaning for us, but I wanted/needed to wean for other reasons. I have heard that babies can lose interest in the breast around that age, but can come back with a vengeance around 14 months! This has happened to a few ladies on the forum.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:08 pm

I was also going to ask if its possible you could be pregnant...

Hippie

Post by Hippie » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:54 am

Both of mine have done this at this age, they are just so distracted by the world that they dont have time to feed :wink: So I would just go with it. Can you offer feeds at other times? I don't think there is any need to offer formula. Just my opinion though.

Let us know how you go.
DS1-8yrs-breastfed for 19mths & 11 days
DS2-5yrs-breastfed for 2yrs, 2mths, 2wks (HBAC)
Our angel baby Sept 13- 13 weeks

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:44 pm

Some great info here on younger babies who are thought to be weaning annd some good tips to avoid it :)

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/babyselfwean/