Post by marie7 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:20 pm

What are the signs of this? Ta
DS APRIL 09 BF 2YRS DS2 FEB 12 BF
Number 3 on its way due 18 may!!
Fellare is storking me!! :)

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:40 pm

In you or in bub? In adults, fatigue, shortness of breath, bruising easily, pale gums and conjunctiva (the skin under your eyelids). In babes, you'd probably not notice the fatigue or shortness of breath. A full blood count and iron studies is the only way to really tell.
hth
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV BE (Community & Counselling)
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:51 am

My son had extremely low iron, and you could see that his skin was extremely pale. Lethargy was an issue, overally he was sleeping lots in 24 hours, but I thought he was just a 'good sleeper'. He also seemed fine at school, until about a week after treatment started, and suddenly I had a different child - from 'peaceful and compliant' to 'happy feet' (the assistant at the preschool called him this because suddenly he never stopped moving!)...

As said above, a blood test really is the only way to tell. It's not a good idea to supplement with iron unless you know that the child really needs it, and any other underlying medical causes have been found - my son had coeliac and was severely malnourished, and he needed more than just iron to get him healthy...

Low appetite is often a sign of low iron, but that would also be very hard to judge, and in my son, he ate plenty, it's just that his body couldn't absorb it because of the celiac disease - his appetite actually halved once his digestive tract had healed and his iron and other vitamins were back to normal...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

bectonks

Post by bectonks » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:20 pm

My son was very iron deficient @ 10/11 months & I hadn't picked up on it so its not always obvious. Google is a good way to learn more about iron deficiencys & foods high in iron etc
10/03/2006 Hudson Noah, 10/11/2008 Imogen Ava, 19/11/2010 Oscar Bodhi, Baby due Aug 2014