Not sure what to do!

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
mummaC

Not sure what to do!

Post by mummaC » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Just a little background info first... In the process of weaning my 14 month old. Have had a pretty good time thus far. Started to wean shortly after she turned 1. It's been a pretty slow process but I'm happy with how it's gone. Cut out the morning feed. Then traded the before bed feed for some warm milk, then eventually cut out the 2 day feeds. She's gone from a feed to sleeper to most days being able to put herself to sleep :D
I had still been feeding her during the night if she woke. Most nights it's usually just once. Sometimes twice on a 'bad' night.
The last 2 nights she's slept through, so I haven't given her any breast feeds. A couple of weeks ago she slept through one night, and I woke up really lumpy and engorged on the side she should have feed from that night, so I expressed and drained my breast as I was going out for a whole day and didn't want to be sore and uncomfortable.
However, yesterday morning I didn't really feel that hard or uncomfortable so I just left it. Today the same, I wasn't really that hard on either side, but I expressed from both breasts anyways.
I know that if I'm trying to wean, I should only express for comfort as I'd make more milk, but I'm just concerned that if my LO happens to start waking during the night again, which is highly likely, I won't have milk there for her.
I guess I'm asking, if for say the next week she sleeps through and I don't express in the morning because I'm not engorged or uncomfortable, how long would it take for my milk to dry up? Would she still get milk from me if she wanted in a couple of weeks time or should I just try an alternative method if she wakes during the night? My LO doesn't really like to be rocked/cuddled back to sleep and breast feeding was always the quickest and easiest way to get her settled/back to sleep.
I'm in 2 minds as to what to do... express and keep some sort of supply, or don't pump and try an alternative method for the night wakings which I'm sure will still happen.
Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
DD July 2011
DD2 December 2013

JMc

Post by JMc » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:09 am

I'm just guessing here, but I think there still be milk in a few weeks. I think it takes most women a while for it to dry up (months and sometimes years).

Would she be happy to suck without milk? At night DS often wants to suck and not really eat!
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)

mummaC

Post by mummaC » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks JMc. I actually think she would be happy to suck if there was no milk there. And when I think about it the past few weeks when she was waking during the night it was mainly a suck not eat anyways :D
DD July 2011
DD2 December 2013