Wholemeal pasta

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
Rhapsody

Wholemeal pasta

Post by Rhapsody » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:03 pm

We're switching to wholemeal pasta to increase fibre intake for my DD who is not a big fruit or veggie eater. We're doing BLW with DS who is 8 months and I was just wondering if the wholemeal pasta will be okay for him, or if I should continue making him white pasta. I'm not concerned about any allergies or intolerances as he has not had any reactions to any foods thus far, just if it might be too much fibre for him.

Your thoughts?
DD Jan 09 bf 4.5 years
DS Jan 12 bf

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:40 pm

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be ok. The whole starting solids thing is about learning to eat the foods the family eats so it doesn't really make sense to make different food for the baby.
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV BE (Community & Counselling)
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13

pseudo

Post by pseudo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:49 pm

We used spelt pasta and bread without any problems from about that age.

I've heard people say that wholemeal wheat products are harder for babies to digest? I don't know much about it though. We eat minimal wheat in our diets as I believe the western diet contains WAY to much wheat.

Storked by the lovely Lu!

fellare

Post by fellare » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:20 pm

it would be a bit harder to digest as it's higher in fiber and babies need less fiber, more protein. But it's no worse than wholemeal bread.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Rhapsody

Post by Rhapsody » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:46 am

Thanks for your replies ladies!

Actually, wholemeal pasta has about twice the amount of fibre (13g) per 100g when compared to wholemeal bread (6-7g depending on the brand of bread). So it's quite a big difference, which is why I was hesitant.

I tried him with some and he loved it. He was a bit restless last night, but that might just have been one of those nights anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion re: spelt pasta, pseudo. I like to make sure we have a variety of different carb sources and we've not tried that before. I'm adding it to the shopping list!
DD Jan 09 bf 4.5 years
DS Jan 12 bf