Started solids... and it's another poo question!

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
Nicwwjd

Started solids... and it's another poo question!

Post by Nicwwjd » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:53 pm

My DS is 6 1/2 months old, and started solids about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

We started with very dilute puree potato then moved quickly to pumpkin, sweet potato, pear, tried broccoli and some porridge (made with ground oats and EBM). I haven't offered potato for about 2 weeks now. I skipped rice cereal as he got very dark green poo when I was taking a BF multivitamin with too much iron.

Since starting solids he has been BFing more often (6 feeds/day) and for longer, and is now able to take some water from a sippy cup (and amazingly even some EBM from a bottle- we have been trying for months to get him to take a bottle!).

He is generally a very happy chappy, sleeps well overnight (with a dream feed) and occasional re-settle.

But he hasn't done a poo for 5 days now..... his last one was a reasonable amount- soft and formed (Saturday).

I have backed off with the solids, offered water after any solids he does have, tried giving just pear..... no result yet.

Any other ideas on how I could help him? I'm thinking a bit of prune juice? Or is this what I should expect with starting solids?

And to top it off..... rotavirus vaccine today..... I could have a massive poosplosion on my hands tomorrow.... eeeeekkk!!! :shock:

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:53 am

My DS had some constipation issues when we started solids, and he was eating A LOT! Things that worked for us were cutting back on the amount of solids and offering more bf's, cutting back on starchy veg like potato, pumpkin and sweet potato, offering lots of P fruits ( pears, prunes, plums), and offering sips of water with meals. So I think you are on the right track! You could also soak prunes in some warm water and offer the juice as a drink. After a month or so his digestive system got used to the food and we didnt have to worry so much, although even now I still make sure I offer lots of P fruits to keep things moving.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Karen81

Post by Karen81 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:22 pm

PAW PAW! I blended it into a mush for DD1 when she wouldn't poo and it worked.

Just started DD2 on solids (sweet potato). She hadn't done a poo so I have her Paw paw yesterday and she did the world's biggest poo.

Nicwwjd

Post by Nicwwjd » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:10 pm

Thanks for those ideas... I will remember the 'p' fruits! He did do 2 rather large poos over the weekend.... so now I have ramped up his solids again! And he is loving it!

I think I will stew a couple of prunes and have the juice on hand... :)

Nicwwjd

Post by Nicwwjd » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:04 pm

So to update- went to CHYH nurse and she said "you really should be making sure he has rice cereal for the iron content", to which I replied and explained why I hadn't been keen on the rice cereal as a first food, but had been putting in some red meat, chicken, spinach etc for iron, and still 6-7 breast feeds a day.....

but it got the better of me so I started giving him some rice cereal. Result: consitpated bubba. Even with prunes, lots of BF, water, stacks of pear..... so I stopped the rice cereal, gave him some apricots and things are now back as they should be, 5 days later, mind you!

So, how can I get more iron into his diet without iron fortified rice cereal?? any Ideas?

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:15 pm

Did you know that full term healthy babies are born with iron stores for at least 6 months of age.
A word on iron and zinc

Between 6 and 12 months, a baby’s own iron and zinc stores from birth start to diminish. It is therefore suggested to offer foods that contain iron, such as red meat, as one of your baby’s first foods. Although a baby is unable to gnaw into a piece of meat, just by sucking the juices, he will obtain valuable iron and zinc.
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... ids/solids

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:29 am

Arrrggghhhh, the dreaded rice cereal... I have read that the iron in it is hard to digest anyway. An internet search should give you a whole bunch of iron rich foods that you can incorporate into your babys diet. Agree with mooki about the red meat, as well as kidney beans, eggs, dried fruit... Interestingly prunes are also high in iron!

fellare

Post by fellare » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:44 pm

rice cereal is just an iron supplement with added constipator. It's nutritionally useless and completely unnecessary in a healthy bub.

look into baby led weaning, it's much more fun and a lot less problems.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Nicwwjd

Post by Nicwwjd » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks for your replies!

So I stopped the rice cereal mid last week and since the weekend things are much better! I have started DS with organic baby porridge with added iron and that seems to be fine! Phew!

I have done lots of reading around about BLW.... but I just didn't feel confident enough to do it full on! Maybe for #2 I will be more confident!

Saying that.... I do have a nice chunk of steak for him to suck on tomorrow, and am really looking forward to more finger foods appearing on his menu! Good thing is he really likes his veg, LOVES fruit, and even enjoys some red meat and chicken!

Thanks again for your replies, I should have stuck with my gut instinct from the beginning! And can I say that if it weren't for this forum I would have had no idea about BLW, and would have been much less well informed!

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:50 pm

Glad to hear things have improved! :D

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:35 am

Great news! We had the exact same experience as ClOuD_NiNe, and remedied it in the same way (less solids, more bf, lots of 'helpful' fruit). We never gave DD rice cereal, so I think sometimes it's just their little guts not handling the rapid change very well.

Oh, and we would have tried paw paw... but it is the one food that DD doesn't eat! :roll:
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

Nicwwjd

Post by Nicwwjd » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:57 pm

Another update.... DS was on Losec for reflux.... and I had forgotten that one of the side effects is constipation. His reflux had been really good- no probs at all so we stopped Losec on Saturday.

And.... every day since then we have had soft poo! Fingers crossed his reflux remains under control!

Thanks for all your help ladies- thought about trying paw paw- but I can't stand it, neither can DH- and a lil too expensive to risk DS not liking it either! :)