My baby abruptly weaned...in so much pain.

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
Bundy

My baby abruptly weaned...in so much pain.

Post by Bundy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Miss 13 mths, decided 7 days ago, she would go from 6 feeds a day to NO feeds per day. I keep offering the boob, but she shakes her head, hits me or bites me.
I have not been weaning slowly. I decided not to express. A) Cause I hate expressing and B) cause I do not want to prolong my milk production. I find it very emotional having so much milk and not being able to feed her. I have been in pain and engorged for 7 days now. I can't exercise which i love and it is really getting me down. I have been using icepacks and iboprufen.

I am going to keep offering the boob for a week or two in the hope she may come back...

Can a GP do anything to help?
How long does it take for the painful engorgement to go away?
******Mummy of Mr 4 and Miss E******
No longer feeding, her choice. You can lead a baby to the breast but you can't make it drink !

fellare

Post by fellare » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:05 pm

I would express just enough to get comfortable. Having millk in your breast should stop production, but you're also at risk of blocked ducts and mastitis.

You can just empty them once, and then leave it again until it gets really bad. I did that in the early days and it helped settle production a fair bit. Actually, that was the only thing that helped.

oh, cabbage leaves are supposed to help too. And I think there is medication you can use to suppress production as well, so you're gp should be able to help with that, I think
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:08 pm

Ow ow ow ow!

I read the bit about you hating expressing, but it might be well worth getting yr hands on a hospital grade pump and doing a complete express of both sides just once to hopefully reset things. The ice packs are great. Firmly fitting t-shirts also.

There's an article on lactation suppression on the ABA website (sorry on ph). While not all of it is going to apply to you, there are some tips there that might help.

Sorry to hear you're so uncomfortable. I hope DD either comes back to the party or you get some relief soon.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Bundy

Post by Bundy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:18 pm

Esther wrote:Ow ow ow ow!

I read the bit about you hating expressing, but it might be well worth getting yr hands on a hospital grade pump and doing a complete express of both sides just once to hopefully reset things.
What do you mean..reset things? If i express completely will the fail to fill up so much next time?
No longer feeding, her choice. You can lead a baby to the breast but you can't make it drink !

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:24 pm

I'm not sure of the exact reason, which is embarassing, but it did work for me with early daze engorgement with DD2. Somehow it resets things and your boobs get the signal to not make so much. Which I agree sounds odd, because normally we tell mums that empty breats send a signal to make more milk! But then if less or none is subsequently taken, that must be how the reset happens. You should only need to do it once, because you're right, if you keep expressing that much, it is a problem.

I think AndyPandy had some experience with this expressing last year when she weaned her LO. I'm sure she won't mind a pm.

Edited to try to answer your q. Hopefully someone with a better explanation will be along soon.
Last edited by Esther on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esther
Storked by nat*4

fellare

Post by fellare » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:24 pm

I think you're breast might have already really reduced milk production, but can't remove the milk you already made. So express it, so it's out of the system and then the boobs can stay empty.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Esther wrote: I think AndyPandy had some experience with this expressing last year when she weaned her LO. I'm sure she won't mind a pm.
Not quite. About a year ago my DS had hand, foot and mouth and refused the breast for about 2 days. I expressed by hand for comfort and kept offering to him. I also had a relaxing bath with him and he eventually came back. Loli's little one had breast refusal for much longer and came back to the breast.

I also got terribly engorged when i weaned my son. He went from 3 feeds a day to none in a short space of time. As i was definitely happy to wean at that point in time, i tried not to encourage milk production. I ended up hand expressing for comfort once a day and after about 3 weeks i no longer had engorgement.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

Bundy

Post by Bundy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:41 pm

Andypandy wrote: I ended up hand expressing for comfort once a day and after about 3 weeks i no longer had engorgement.
gawd... I can't do 3 weeks

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Hmm, sorry AP, must be thinking of someone else... :smt017
Esther
Storked by nat*4

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:24 pm

Bundy wrote:
Andypandy wrote: I ended up hand expressing for comfort once a day and after about 3 weeks i no longer had engorgement.
gawd... I can't do 3 weeks
Have you hand expressed in the shower ever? That is where i did it. There is a section on hand expressing in Breastfeeding Naturally. Very easy to follow. I used to just squirt the milk out until i felt relief. (I also aimed for the tiles opposite) :oops:

It will get easier and less and less.

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Esther wrote:Hmm, sorry AP, must be thinking of someone else... :smt017
I did get engorgement when i weaned. So i think you are right :)

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 pm

sending you hugs. xxxx

Bundy

Post by Bundy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:40 pm

mooki wrote:sending you hugs. xxxx
Thanks Mooki appreciated.

Bundy

Post by Bundy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:42 pm

Just used my manual pump to express only about 40mls, feel like a new woman :-D engorged still but not rock hard. Just hoping I won't feel worse tomorrow after doing that.

Bundy

Post by Bundy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Andypandy wrote:Have you hand expressed in the shower ever? That is where i did it. There is a section on hand expressing in Breastfeeding Naturally. Very easy to follow. I used to just squirt the milk out until i felt relief. (I also aimed for the tiles opposite) :oops:

It will get easier and less and less.
:oops: I have a little bit, but it hurts