Solids at four months?

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:50 pm

I thought this was an interesting read on the advice people are given to start solids. :D

http://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/20 ... dated.html

TheSlayer
Trainee

Post by TheSlayer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:56 pm

Just was on another forum and someone's paed just told her the recommendations have changed so that solids should be begun from THREE MONTHS of age.

I promptly told her that the latest protocols and recommendations still say six months; but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a paed tell them this?
Proud storker for Katsbi's and PrincessSpud's youngest princesses!

mimo
Counsellor

Post by mimo » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:55 pm

TheSlayer wrote:Just was on another forum and someone's paed just told her the recommendations have changed so that solids should be begun from THREE MONTHS of age.
:shock: :shock:

THAT is exactly why I don't think the recommendations should be changed - no matter what they are (or people think they are), people will recommend earlier. And Mums (myself included) will often start early anyway. If only it was as simple as saying "look at your baby" but unfortunately everyone wants a number/date/weight whatever.
Michelle
DD - Feb 2006
DS - Apr 2010
DD2 - Mar 2013

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:34 pm

In the UK, they have bought the weaning to solids age down to 4 months of age.....I wonder whether or the WHO stuff contributed to it.

My DD has started on solids at just under 4 months (17wks6days)....but we're only giving her pear&banana and she loves it...so she was clearly ready for it....however if she hadn't've been interested or ready, I wouldn't've forced the issue......

one of my friends back in the UK is sending me some 4-6mth old foods to try DD on as they have a wider selection because of the change in the age.

At the end of the day, you have to do what's right for your child.....some children are ready earlier than 6 months and some can be not ready until after 6months....... do what's right :D you're the best judge for your LO not anyone else :D
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

Tori

Authority guidelines

Post by Tori » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:51 am

I just checked on the NHS website and it states "at around 6 mths" solid food should be introduced to babies. I have heard must misinformation about govt recommendations for introducing solids- even from some health professionals. WHO, all National and State health authorities and the NHS in the UK all say 6mths. Before this time a baby's gut is open and this biologically allows for breast milk to be absorbed- and all the goodness it contains, including immunoglobulins and stem cells. Babies also take time for their bodies to produce enzymes that aid them to digest certain other foods. There is no harm to waiting til 6mths to introduce solids and there is potential harm in introducing food earlier. Introducing solid food also displaces breastmilk in a baby's diet and this could potentially lead to a lack of nutrients in the diet as breastmilk is so readily absorbed compared to other foods. Remember studies looking at early introduction of solids are often funded- by part or whole- by baby food manufacturers. You will know when your baby is ready because of developmental cues including the loss of tongue thrust, sitting up, grasping food and bringing it to their mouth. Check out the links in the ABA website- there are good articles and videos linked to the section on weaning.

Tori

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:51 am

Interesting article that states:
"A spokeswoman for The National Health and Medical Research Council said new infant feeding guidelines will be finalised this year, but they will stick with the six-month recommendation."
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/who-k ... z1s2sOHiRH

I like the point that so few babies are breastfed exclusive to six months, to making a solid statistcial correlation between early introduction of solids and lower allergy risk doesn't add up.

Also a lot of press on this point earlier including press release from the WHO about a different article in the BMJ
The paper in this week's BMJ is not the result of a systematic review. The latest systematic review on this issue available in the Cochrane Library was published in 2009 ("Optimal duration of exclusive breastfeeding (Review)", Kramer MS, Kakuma R. The Cochrane Library 2009, Issue 4).
It included studies in developed and developing countries and its findings are supportive of the current WHO recommendations.
It found that the results of two controlled trials and 18 other studies suggest that exclusive breastfeeding (which means that the infant should have only breast milk, and no other foods or liquids) for 6 months has several advantages over exclusive breastfeeding for 3-4 months followed by mixed breastfeeding.
These advantages include a lower risk of gastrointestinal infection for the baby, more rapid maternal weight loss after birth, and delayed return of menstrual periods.
No reduced risks of other infections or of allergic diseases have been demonstrated.
No adverse effects on growth have been documented with exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months, but a reduced level of iron has been observed in developing-country settings.
Genevieve Nisha - Feb 09
Rohan Teja Hira - Sept 11
Kiran John (stillborn) & Jocelyn Tara Alison - May 14

ladybug

Post by ladybug » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:27 am

This all makes for some interesting reading.
At my mum's group at the hospital we were told last week to start introducing solids between 17 and 26 weeks. No later or it increases the chances of a very fussy eater and they need iron that mum can no longer supply.
I was going to start on the 17 week mark but will delay until 6 months. I like the idea someone had of they are not really ready when they can take it off a spoon PUT into their mouth but when they can physically manipulate the food themselves.
By the way, I love having internet on my phone so during a bf session at 3:30 in the morning I can have a read through a lot of posts, especially when his feeds would take over two hours! :D

ladybug

Post by ladybug » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:45 am

I should add to the above post in addition to the 17-26 week recommendation is to look for signs. These including being able to hold head up, lack of tongue thrust, not seeming satisfied and looking interested in your food. My little man could hold his hold extremely early and the last couple of weeks didn't seem satisfied (is 16weeks old now) and watches when we eat so that was why was planning on starting at earliest point. But after reading will delay and I think he was going through a growth spurt (unsatisfied ) as the last week he has been sleeping longer at night and when he does wake for a feed its shorter.
Hope that made sense. :D

pseudo

Post by pseudo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:37 am

The booklet I was sent home from hospital after DS2's birth says between 6 and 7 months. The health nurse however, told me that it is around 5 months and, even worse, the woman from the Child Nutrition Research Centre at the Children's hospital (where DS2 and I are involved in an Iodine study) told me it has changed back to 4 months!

I will be waiting until 6 months just like I did with DS1.

Storked by the lovely Lu!

leeannp70

solids

Post by leeannp70 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:01 pm

I gave my bub solids at 6 months and yes, maybe the delay has caused her to be a fussy eater as she will not go anywhere near the processed, bottled or pureed convenience baby food marketed in the supermarkets. Instead she eats ALL her fruit and vegies, meat, eggs, bread and homemade food. I'm very happy in the way she eats. She was definitely not ready at four months and after the research I did I was happy waiting. Too many people want their baby to be the first to do things, somehow thinking that this makes their baby better than others. It doesn't girls ;-)

pseudo

Post by pseudo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:08 pm

I was just at my GP today and she asked me how DS2 was going, saying how huge he is. She also asked if he had started solids yet. When I told her I waiting until 6 months, as per the WHO guidelines, she said it was okay to wait until then but not to wait any longer as he will become a fussy eater :?

I let her know that DS1 was 6.5 months when he started solids and he eats anything at all, even piping hot curries. She told me that WHO guidelines have to take the whole world into account, which is why it needs to be 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding in 3rd world countries but not here in Adealide :roll: .

Storked by the lovely Lu!

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:57 pm

pseudo wrote:She told me that WHO guidelines have to take the whole world into account, which is why it needs to be 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding in 3rd world countries but not here in Adealide :roll: .
Aaarrgggghhhhhh!!!! ](*,)
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

snowie

Post by snowie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:25 pm

pseudo wrote: She told me that WHO guidelines have to take the whole world into account, which is why it needs to be 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding in 3rd world countries but not here in Adealide :roll: .
Oh so nothing really to do with the baby's gut readiness - just the socio-economic climate into which they happen to be born?? :roll: :roll:
Never forgetting our angel babies

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:01 am

New NHMRC guidleines are out! And....

"In Australia, it is recommended that infants are exclusively breastfed until around 6 months of age when solid foods are introduced, and that breastfeeding is continued until 12 months of age and beyond, for as long as the mother and child desire."

Also interestingly:
"9.2.2 Problems associated with earlier or later introduction of solid foods
Introducing solid foods too soon can lead to several problems: ...
... exclusive breastfeeding for at least 6 months reduces food allergies (see section 1 .2.1)"

Ref. http://eatforhealth.gov.au/sites/defaul ... elines.pdf
Genevieve Nisha - Feb 09
Rohan Teja Hira - Sept 11
Kiran John (stillborn) & Jocelyn Tara Alison - May 14

leeannp70

Solids at 4 months

Post by leeannp70 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:06 pm

I was insistent that my bub started at 6 months though I did start her 2 weeks prior. Should have done it earlier. Poor thing was starving (I believe) and her persistent crying finally eased. I started my 2nd baby at 4 months though he wasn't really ready and pushed out most food with his tongue. By 4.5 months he was getting the hang of rice cereal and pureed cooked fruits. My paediatrician recommended 4 months as he believed he needed a bit more than what I could supply in breast milk and lo and behold, the crankiness that had begun stopped. Hmmm.... Neither would take bottles so formula wasn't going to be an option. If you feel your baby is ready or needs it, definitely go the solids. I just wish I got better advice with my first.