Night weaning

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
Baby Blue Eyes

Post by Baby Blue Eyes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:33 pm

last night dh settled ds2 and we had success with that, he was happy to cuddle into dh and I didn't hear a peep from him until 4am (dh was out of bed) and I was more than happy to give him a feed then. We had from 9pm to 4am without a feed. Here is hoping tonight will be the same if not better especially since his sleep was disturped by dh & ds1 an hour ago and he had a little whinge and went back to sleep without me even going into the room.

How is everyones night weaning journey going?
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths

dellywatts
Counsellor

Post by dellywatts » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:07 pm

Sounds like you had a good night BBE! I hope that continues for you.
Going to try the DH settle idea too.
DD1 ~ 9/2007
DS ~ 2/2009 bf for just over 4 yrs
DD2 ~ 3/2011 bf for nearly 2 yrs
DD3 ~ 12/2013 bfing

Baby Blue Eyes

Post by Baby Blue Eyes » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:36 am

I wish it was a better night ds1 was in bed with us again and dh refused to help :( , I think I feed about 4 times last night but there was an upside, I could unattach and roll over after about 5mins without complaint
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths

Baby Blue Eyes

Post by Baby Blue Eyes » Sat May 01, 2010 7:10 am

We didn't even have to 'try' to night wean last night as ds2 thought it was a really good idea to sleep from 8pm to 4am. He did have a little wake up at around 9pm but he was actually happy for me to sit in the rocking chair and rock him for a bit without feeding him and then back to sleep. Normally I have to be standing, it was nice to cuddle and rock him in the dark like that.
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths

HoneyBaby

Post by HoneyBaby » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:55 pm

Hi all

I have just found out I am preg and although I am happy to tandem feed at this stage I really need to get off my butt and night wean DD18mths. We did get to a stage of having an 8 hour gap at night and she would wake once or twice and I would rock her to sleep. Well her 2 bottom eye teeth are coming up and I have fallen back to countless feeds through the night again.

So My plan is to stretch out the gaps again by patting rocking singing or sling as it worked well before and she was starting to roll over and settle back to sleep by herself which is the ultimate goal.

Lisa21

Post by Lisa21 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:39 pm

Baby Blue Eyes wrote:We didn't even have to 'try' to night wean last night as ds2 thought it was a really good idea to sleep from 8pm to 4am. He did have a little wake up at around 9pm but he was actually happy for me to sit in the rocking chair and rock him for a bit without feeding him and then back to sleep. Normally I have to be standing, it was nice to cuddle and rock him in the dark like that.
This is what I have been doing with DS too. I am still letting him have 1 side feed when he wakes at about 3am. But it has been nice just cuddling him back to sleep and he is not objecting to not getting fed when he wakes before then. So I assume he doesn't really need it. We have had him sleeping with us the last few nights though due to teething as he was up every hour crying. So hopefully he will do just as well once he is back in his own bed. He used to wake at 11pm and 3am for a feed and is still waking at 11pm even though I am not feeding him then. I am hoping he will stop waking at that time soon so I can start getting a decent stretch of sleep.
Image]
DD BF'd till 13mths

DS

MuffinMum

Post by MuffinMum » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:33 pm

Right, night weaning journey started... *sigh* I'm not going to tandem feed, and I can't keep getting up 2 times a night to comfort suck. I'm thinking just try and comfort him with cuddles and dummy?? ALthough he can get pretty scream-ey when wanting boob bad. We'll see how the weekend goes, I suppose. Maybe enlist DH to help, seeing as it's the weekend.
DS: 18/11/09
DD: 28/3/11

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:31 pm

I have decided to nightwean DS. He is 18n months old and still feeding 2-3 times overnight. I am writing it here so i keep myself motivated.

DS woke up about 10 mins ago 9:20pm. I cuddled him and rocked him back to sleep. I am not sure when he will wake up again. I hope i cna stay strong and last the whole night without feeding him.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

Countrymum

Post by Countrymum » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:27 am

For us we've just had a wait and see approach and I've noticed DD2 is sleeping through at least 4 or 5 nights a week at the moment seems to be becoming more and more common but we haven't ever done anything.

If DD2 isn't falling asleep on the boob I will get DH to lie down next to her on our bed till she settles though but that's more to get her asleep than to keep her asleep.

Countrymum
2 bubbly beautiful girls - DD1 (5 in Nov), DD2 (will be 3 at the end of July).
DD1 breastfeed for 14 months, DD2 breastfeed for 34.5 months.

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:37 am

Well i am getting somewhere. For the past few nights I have not fed DS until after 12:30. I have rocked or patted him pack to sleep and now it is almost instantaneous that he will fall asleep. Last night he slept from 7:30pm until 1am and then had booby and woke again at 5am as he had done a massive poo. :roll:

For the next few nights i am going to not feed him until 2:30am. I feel like i am getting somewhere and i also feel like now is the right time to do this as it does not seem to be impacting DS too much at all.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

Aleishasmum

Post by Aleishasmum » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:19 am

How did I not see this thread?!

Will definately be joining in when I have a bit more time to post.
Image Image

jdee

Night weaning 17 mth old

Post by jdee » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi my 17th month old has some erratic feeding patterns and I'm keen to night wean. However if I try and cuddle/pat/offer water she screams louder and louder. This week for example:

Mon: 7pm bed. Wake 11pm, feed. Wake 2am, feed. Awake 6.30am
Tues: 7pm bed. Wake 12.15am, feed. Wake 3am, feed. Awake 7am.
Wed: 7pm bed. Wake 11pm, feed. Awake 6am.
Thurs: 7pm bed. Wake 12am, feed. Wake 3am. Try and settle without feed. Loud crying/yelling for 45 mins. Give in, feed. Awake 7.30am.
Fri: 7pm bed. Wake 9.30pm feed.

I had a patch of her going to bed and waking only once around 2am for a feed, that was fine. However she's regressed and I'm exhausted. Her yelling also wakes my 3 yo.

She eats lots and lots during the day, drinks about 100mls of milk before bed. Some nights she won't settle even after a feed. She always screams when I put her to bed at 7pm, but falls asleep within 2-3 mins.

Any advice on how I can get her night weaned?

Chel070

Post by Chel070 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:28 am

First night last night of trying to nightwean DD.

Her sleep has gotten much better lately, just waking around 12-1am and then around 4-5. So really I'm just trying to cut out that middle of the night feed. About 2 months ago her sleep was reallllly bad and I started then settling some wake ups without feeding. Sometimes she would be OK, sometimes she would scream so I would just feed her. She's really easily distracted so going for a walk around the house, looking out the window, sometimes even walking on the deck would just interrupt the screams, help her calm down, and then she would go back to sleep.

Last night she woke at her usual 1am, so instead of feeding we went for a walk around and she fell asleep easily, I was back in bed 12mins later and feeling pretty chuffed! It did not end there lol!!

Back up 1min later and this routine continued- settle, back to sleep, put down asleep, wake once I'd gotten back to bed- for TWO hours! Ah!

But then she slept for 2 hours and woke at 5, so I opened the curtains showed her that it was light and said she could have milk now (this is what I'd been explaining to her- not that she understood it!). She had a feed and slept til around 7.

So all in all not too bad, she never got super super upset but just wanted to be up held rocking, not sitting down (which after 2 hours, carrying 15kg, my back is not my friend today!). It seemed she just found it quite difficult to get into a deep sleep without a feed. Which I found kind of surprising because as build up to nightweaning, this week I haven't fed her to sleep at night (though I guess she does still have a feed before bed). Instead of feeding to sleep she has been OK just lying down with me on the bed or being rocked.

So I'm hoping I'm not up for 2 hours tonight! Though I know thats alot better first night than some get!
DD1 Nov 2009
DS Jan 2012
DD2 Dec 2014

Chel070

Post by Chel070 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:43 am

Second night and DD didn't wake until 3am! Up for 45mins with her, most of which she was asleep for, but like the night before she found it difficult to get into a deep sleep, so sat in the rocking chair with her for awhile. Woke again at 5.45 had a feed and slept til just after 7. Pretty happy with how its going!
DD1 Nov 2009
DS Jan 2012
DD2 Dec 2014

corinne

the beginnings of night weaning

Post by corinne » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:47 am

I'm also writing to try and keep myself motivated. DS(12 months) wakes up many times per night and gets the same number of feeds. I thought I had a really good couple of nights the other week when he slept for a four hour block and then only woke three times a night. But, alas, it didn't spark the change I was hoping for.

So I've decided not to feed to sleep during the day. I love feeding to sleep but I don't think it's helping our nights and it certainly won't help DS if he goes into daycare soon, which, unfortuantely, he may have to for a few days.

I prepared myself for a big battle. I fed DS in the way I usually do-darkened room, music- but he didn't settle. So I put him in his cot and he played for about 10 minutes then started to cry so I took him and rocked and walked and ssshhed him for about a further 10 minutes. He fell asleep in my arms and I thought that he would wake as I put him in the cot but he stayed asleep. All in all, a good result.

Should I be so bold as to try and do this with his afternoon sleep too? What if I don't have the same luck tomorrow? Do you think it's important not to cave in or should I feed him if he gets really distressed?

And has anyone had much luck with this, finding it benefited their night wakings? I tried this at about 7 months but it all went to pot when he started teething big time.