Night weaning

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
corinne

Post by corinne » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:27 am

More success! I pulled DS off his pre-nap morning feed today quite early. He just played with my bracelets for a while and then fell asleep with me patting him in our BFing chair-sure beats rocking 13.5. kg! I'm going to try this next week with the afternoon feed and then the week after, move the feed back even more, and then into the cot sleepy rather than falling asleep in my arms.

I am really starting to feel like breaking it down like this is so much more achievable and less stressful altogether.

flutterbye

Post by flutterbye » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:30 am

Wow to think I was in this section with DD and now here for DS (11 mths). Last night DS had no breastfeeds overnight!
Fed both sides around 8.30. Woke at 12.30, 1.30, 3.30 and was able to resettle him without it with not much protesting, worst was the 12.30, and was a bit disheartened when after taking about 30mins to settle him he woke only 30mins later. But stayed strong and did it all again, but was much quicker to resettle. I wasn't able to transfer him into cot, so took him back to bed with me. Hopped out of bed when he woke at 3.30am, again resettled quickly and just took him straight back to our bed. So overall went quite well.
I think tomorrow will be much harder though, we'll see.

Corinne, how is it going, did you do the afternoon nap times too. I do think it will help with all naps/bedtimes, as the feed to sleep association is slowly seperated.
DD: 6/2007 BF for 23 months
DS: 3/2010 BF for 26 months

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:17 am

Hi Guys,

Have recently, and with the help of lots of stories from the forum, weaned DD (now 2) from overnight feeds!! :D Loving the sleep! :-D
To share story, she had been feeding twice overnight at the start of the year, only to settle on waking in the dark I assumed.
My plan: Drop one feed, then when that had stuck, drop the other. I was going to offer cuddles, and if that didn't cut it, would go on to sips of water, lullabies etc.

It worked like a charm with just cuddles (Note: we co-sleep)!

First night: She rolled over and went back to sleep :shock: Enthusiastically fed for milky#2.
Second night: Unhappy Jan. SCREAMED for 8 minutes (thankyou so much for the tip of looking at the clock) whilst I cuddled her, then fell asleep in my arms. I thought: not bad, could have been much worse :) Continued to enjoy #2 milky.
Third night: Mildly unhappy for ~3 minutes, then fell asleep :-)
Fourth night and onwards: Slept through the first feed altogether!!! :-D

About six weeks later (so mid-Feb) DD slept through the night unprompted :shock: after having a no-nap day and I thought if she can do it once... :-D and we weaned the other night feed. Almost identical to the above, but with no screaming - total acceptance of cuddles!!
No slip back so far (though am not looking forward to the two year molars emerging), and she's once asked for a milky on waking (sore throat, gave it to her poor chicken). I think I completely lucked out and hit the right time.

She's now down to at most 2 feeds a day - one before nap (which she's dropping, so oops, there goes the feed too...) and one before bed. I think the one before bed will be the last to go :D
Next step: sleeping in own bed!

Good luck all! May the sleeping force be with you :D

flutterbye

Post by flutterbye » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:17 am

An update now that we are 1 month in:

Night 2 & 3 were as predicted, the worst, but from then on DS settling quite quickly without a BF.

About 2.5 weeks into the night weaning DS got sick with a cold and I actually tried to give him a BF during the night and he refused!! He was waking frequently during this time and so I got lazier upon his night wakes just bringing him into our bed straight away.

So now we have moved the problem sideways as now co-sleeping more and still needs Mum to fall to sleep. DS still wakes a 1-2 times overnight. Am sure that we are getting more sleep than before though as he settles so quickly and once in bed with us he will sleep pretty solidly waking maybe once and able to resettle him without getting up at all, so we stir more than wake up. He is cutting teeth at the moment and overall sleeping quite well despite this.

So next we will work on the co-sleeping and attempt to resettle him while still in the cot. I'm just not ready for that yet as it means less sleep again and am really enjoying the extra sleep at the moment.

I find he is ravenous for breakfast and sometimes will have a BF straight after a big breakfast (more for the reconnection/checking it's still offered in the day). I was also interested if nightweaning effected his weight gain and has not any influence whatsoever with his gain steady over the past 4 months (including this 1 night weaned month).

Blyss82

Post by Blyss82 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:22 am

Hi ladies, excuse my slackness, I have skimmed through the thread, but havent picked much up, but I have been putting alot of thought into weaning or night weaning, my hubby this year has started a new job with a roster of 2 weeks on and 1 week off and I am looking for a bit more of a break here and there,more sleep and more energy!!

I am still loving breastfeeding but baby J has always had a huge sleep/feeding association and now at 18 months it's getting no better. My sleep dep is pretty bad, my brain doesnt function, I get confused easy and sometimes I even hullicinate (sp) I am sick of living in a haze all the time!!!! Anyway so the more I think about it the more I want to get the ball moving, my having a clearer head will be better for the whole family!!

He has co-slept in our bed from birth, recently we have bought him a new bed and it arrives in a month or so, when it comes I was just thinking of putting him down in his own bed for day sleeps. I want to do the whole process gently aswel, I am not in a rush.

So I'm thinking that this can go either way, it could be really easy or not! I have been every now and then at night not letting him have a feed sometimes he cries for a second then rolls over, other times he hasnt stopped crying so I give in and feed him.

So do I offer him a bottle with water instead of a feed? Do I refuse one feed a night then bump it up to refusing 2 feeds? I havent countd for a while how many feeds he does have during the night, maybe 5 on a good night 8+ on other nights, I dont know it all rolls into one when I try think of it, lol.

any form of advice,encouragement , support will be helpful as I am home alone alot and communications with hubby while he is at work is pretty crap...

flutterbye

Post by flutterbye » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:31 am

Hi Blyss82

On page 1 of this topic/thread there is a link to the Dr Jay Gorden site/technique. I found that helpful.

Particularly the advice to have a block worked out where there was no breastfeeding at all, eg between 10pm-5am, than to drop one feed at a time.

At 18mths your lo should be able to understand we sleep at night & the milk sleeps at night (even though it hasn't previously), it was a concept aided with day/night - light/dark, that both my lo's connected with. quite quickly.

I tried offering water with both my lo's and mostly got major rejection. DS did accept quite happily on one occassion though. I don't use a traditional baby bottle, but a sippy cup with no spill valve or bottle with a silicone sippy style non spill teat.

With the new bed, I would lie with DD in/on her bed until sleeping and if she woke in the night, again go into her room (and lie with her) to resettle. She transitioned quite well. Over time I only needed to go in & pat her back for a minute to resettle. Now she rarely wakes overnight.

Blyss82

Post by Blyss82 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Thanks heaps flutterbye, I will have a look at the link..

I tried to refuse a feed the other night, but he got really upset so I didnt bother, I have ordered a book 'sleeping like a baby' so I will wait for that to come, I dont want to do it if he gets so upset, but I will try all I can to get more sleep..

I have been saying to him every day that night time is for sleeping not for boobie.. we'll see how long it takes to sink in...

I will keep updating on our progress...

thanks again :)

Ari's Mum

Post by Ari's Mum » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:45 pm

I too need to read this thread. I need to night wean DS2 who is 18 months. I am so tired and lost heaps of weight. I'm literally exhuasted every day. I need to do this by February as I am starting a Midwifery position and will be doing night shift.

DS2 has co-slept since birth. I have put him on a mattress on the floor of my bedroom but he has the association of sleeping with me and the breastfeeding association... I don't have the energy to put into place Dr -Jays as I know I will be up with a screaming child every night from 12-5.. With DS1 it was so easy as I became pregnant and he just weaned himself because my breastmilk supply reduced. I don't want to completely wean I would be happy for the breastfeed to sleep at naptime and before bed and during the day. Is this possible?

Help :cry:
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Storked Norrie and proudly storked by Terramommy...

flutterbye

Post by flutterbye » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:23 pm

I totally think it is possible to night wean and still be able to feed in the day (for naps & bedtime) as this is the situation I have. I think at around the 18 months they can understand night and day. I must say the first week or so is very hard going and there is tears. I also want to add that both of mine still woke in the night, but I would lay with them to get them back to sleep, not feed them back to sleep. Anyway best of luck.

Tani

Post by Tani » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:09 am

Night 1 of night weaning for the fourth (fifth?) time went much better than expected. DH did the first waking, took him about 20 minutes, I did the other two, was surprisingly easy to reason with a two year old compared with a 20 month old, took a minute to ask him to get back into bed, then just a matter of patting him till he fell asleep (which only felt like forever).

Take that DH, waiting so long to try again didn't make it harder.
DS September 09

Ari's Mum

Post by Ari's Mum » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:16 am

Wow Tani, maybe I might wait a bit longer with DS2 who is 19 months then. Now is not the right time, I'm so tired... although I find he feeds more if he is in bed with me than on the mattress on the floor.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Storked Norrie and proudly storked by Terramommy...

nicky2006

Post by nicky2006 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks to Ari's mum for suggesting this thread to me. How interesting that many have the same issues like we have!! I posted all my drama out of desperation so here is the short cut lol:
My 13 month old still wants to feed at night (((
He was always a very very eager feeder. He fed every 2 hours day and night until he was approx 9 months. Since then he gradually dropped all day feeds and got to a midnight - 3am - 6am routine. And it is really starting to annoy me a lot! I tried a month ago starting to replace the 3am feed with a sip of water. For weeks. But he is just ok for the moment then but unsettled until his 6am feed. He is hungry!!? I am fine with the midnight and 6am feed but I don't understand why a year old still needs a night feed?
Out of all desperation I tried maybe introducing a good night bottle with toddler milk - big failure! He vomited it all out on the first night. Second night he had awful cramps. So thats in the bin.
He still sleeps in our bed and there is no chance to get him to sleep in his because he does not fall into a deep sleep. He doesn't have a problem with going to sleep, he just wakes up what feels like a million times a night. Dummy falling out, water, change in position.... (
I am pregnant again and I just want to sleep once longer than 2-3 hrs and eventually want him to be just happy at night as well (
So hard to never get a real sleep!!

mamairie

Post by mamairie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:14 am

After 11 1/2 months of no more than 3hours sleep in a row (and more often 1 or 2 hrs) and DH sleeping in another room - I decided I was confident (and desperate) enough to try night weaning. I returned to work (3 days) a few weeks ago and that coupled with trying to write a phd proposal and an impending interstate move things were beginning to fall apart in our house. I never had a timeframe in my mind as to when i would do it and I was terrified of the thought thinking it would mean much less sleep. I have my mattress on the floor and DS on a single mattress beside me so it is easy to simply bring him into bed and feed him to sleep. This worked for months and i never really felt too tired despite his terrible sleep patterns because i could rest in the day with him. Returnng to work stopped this. So on tuesday I came home determined to give it a try. With anzac day public holiday I had 5 nights before i had to be back at work so worth a shot...

I am five days in and still feeling confident that it will work for us and that it will mean sleep improvements. DS is a very big boy and was showing signs that his night feeds were really only for comfort. He is also eating plenty of solids. I am not at all worried that he will starve. He was also able to be patted or hugged back to sleep sometimes before we started and no longer feeds to sleep (his call not mine) but is either rocked in a rocking chair (daytime) or I lie with him until he falls asleep (evening).

I read dr jays (?) method and talked to a few people and in the end i decided to go cold turkey with the night feeds and not offer a feed until 5am. That means no booby froom about 7.30-8pm till 5am.

The first night he was very upset when he woke the first time (10.20) but only cried for about 10 mins (while i held/rocked him). when he stopped crying I just lay with him and he was back asleep within 20min of waking (with boob it would have been within 2). He then only woke up one other time (1.40) before 5- didn't cry to bad - but was awake for an hour. I fed him when he woke at 5.45 and he went back to sleep till 7ish. Only 3 wake ups is pretty rare for us so i was very happy with this result.

2nd night he only woke twice before the 5am deadline (well 4.45 actually)- he went back to sleep much easier this night and slept in until 7.45.

3rd and 4th nights had many wake ups but not much crying and no 'asking' for boob. The 4th night was particularly bad. Both these nights had a period where he was awake for an hour but each time we just lay together and he quietly talked and wriggled whilst i sang and patted and hugged.

Last night was pretty amazing. He went to bed a bit later than usual (8.50) and woke up very breifly at 9.45 and needed to be tucked back in and me to sit with him till he was in a deep sleep. he then only woke once before five and just needed me to put my hand on him So i didn't even need to get up. He woke up bang on 5 and had a huge feed then back asleep until 6.20...

I know he can't possibly be weaned yet BUT i am hopeful that this will mean more sleep. I think one of the biggest reasons that he was waking so frequently before was because he needed to wee. His nappy used to be so wet by the morning but the last few nights it has been much drier. I have been making up for this reduced liquid in take by offering water much more often during the day and I am more than happy for him to have as much boob during the day as he wants.

I hope I have not jinxed myself by writing this! I am back at work tomorrow and so don't really want to deal with him being awake for an hour at 3am... So here's hoping tonight will be like last night and it will just get easier and easier..

I'm really keen to here from others currently doing this too. Be good to have the support.

mamairie

Post by mamairie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:27 pm

Wow, sorry for the huge post before. Thought I'd update you. The boy has eaten so much today. Must be making up for lost calories.

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:31 pm

mamairie wrote:After 11 1/2 months of no more than 3hours sleep in a row (and more often 1 or 2 hrs) and DH sleeping in another room - I decided I was confident (and desperate) enough to try night weaning. I returned to work (3 days) a few weeks ago and that coupled with trying to write a phd proposal and an impending interstate move things were beginning to fall apart in our house. I never had a timeframe in my mind as to when i would do it and I was terrified of the thought thinking it would mean much less sleep. I have my mattress on the floor and DS on a single mattress beside me so it is easy to simply bring him into bed and feed him to sleep. This worked for months and i never really felt too tired despite his terrible sleep patterns because i could rest in the day with him. Returnng to work stopped this. So on tuesday I came home determined to give it a try. With anzac day public holiday I had 5 nights before i had to be back at work so worth a shot...

I am five days in and still feeling confident that it will work for us and that it will mean sleep improvements. DS is a very big boy and was showing signs that his night feeds were really only for comfort. He is also eating plenty of solids. I am not at all worried that he will starve. He was also able to be patted or hugged back to sleep sometimes before we started and no longer feeds to sleep (his call not mine) but is either rocked in a rocking chair (daytime) or I lie with him until he falls asleep (evening).

I read dr jays (?) method and talked to a few people and in the end i decided to go cold turkey with the night feeds and not offer a feed until 5am. That means no booby froom about 7.30-8pm till 5am.

The first night he was very upset when he woke the first time (10.20) but only cried for about 10 mins (while i held/rocked him). when he stopped crying I just lay with him and he was back asleep within 20min of waking (with boob it would have been within 2). He then only woke up one other time (1.40) before 5- didn't cry to bad - but was awake for an hour. I fed him when he woke at 5.45 and he went back to sleep till 7ish. Only 3 wake ups is pretty rare for us so i was very happy with this result.

2nd night he only woke twice before the 5am deadline (well 4.45 actually)- he went back to sleep much easier this night and slept in until 7.45.

3rd and 4th nights had many wake ups but not much crying and no 'asking' for boob. The 4th night was particularly bad. Both these nights had a period where he was awake for an hour but each time we just lay together and he quietly talked and wriggled whilst i sang and patted and hugged.

Last night was pretty amazing. He went to bed a bit later than usual (8.50) and woke up very breifly at 9.45 and needed to be tucked back in and me to sit with him till he was in a deep sleep. he then only woke once before five and just needed me to put my hand on him So i didn't even need to get up. He woke up bang on 5 and had a huge feed then back asleep until 6.20...

I know he can't possibly be weaned yet BUT i am hopeful that this will mean more sleep. I think one of the biggest reasons that he was waking so frequently before was because he needed to wee. His nappy used to be so wet by the morning but the last few nights it has been much drier. I have been making up for this reduced liquid in take by offering water much more often during the day and I am more than happy for him to have as much boob during the day as he wants.

I hope I have not jinxed myself by writing this! I am back at work tomorrow and so don't really want to deal with him being awake for an hour at 3am... So here's hoping tonight will be like last night and it will just get easier and easier..

I'm really keen to here from others currently doing this too. Be good to have the support.
I'm watching with interest - my DD is a few weeks younger than your LO. Very keen to see how you go :)
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS