How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
Snake Hips Mcroy

Post by Snake Hips Mcroy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:01 am

Good luck mellybee! Your dh sounds like an absolute champ :D
DS1 - born May 2011, breastfed for 26 months
DS2 - born Dec 2013, breastfeeding like a champ

veganmama

Post by veganmama » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:26 pm

I'm up to night 7 of night weaning. It's been up and down but I haven't fed at all overnight for the last 6 night. Last night he still woke 3 times but there were no tears and he settled in about 10 minutes with my husband holding his hand. It was the first night I've stayed in my bed for a whole night in about two years!! I'm hoping for a repeat (minus a couple of the wakings would be good!) tonight.

huonsmum

Post by huonsmum » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:32 am

veganmama wrote:I'm up to night 7 of night weaning. It's been up and down but I haven't fed at all overnight for the last 6 night. Last night he still woke 3 times but there were no tears and he settled in about 10 minutes with my husband holding his hand. It was the first night I've stayed in my bed for a whole night in about two years!! I'm hoping for a repeat (minus a couple of the wakings would be good!) tonight.

:D :smt041 :smt041 :smt038
Awesome!
DS-Aug 2011

Meliybee

Post by Meliybee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:20 pm

YAY Veganmama!!! :-D

The 2am night weaning so far has been sort of successful. Fri & Saturday nights both no feed. No tears either! YEW!

Friday he was awake 30mins and just wanted to sit up/stand up
Saturday he was only awake 8 mins. enough time for a quick cuddle and then layed him back down, back run "nightnight" and that was it until 5.30am.

Last night I went to bed early and thought the 11pm feed was 2am so I just re-settled him only to be woken back up in halfa ("MUUUUM wheres my milk! haha!! he's 9months cant really talk).

Had a few more night wakings and then at 2.30 am my left side was like a rock, i dont think he fully fed at 11pm so i caved and gave him a little to release the pressure as I didn't want to end up with blocked ducts if i let it go for another 3 hrs. Then we had a 5.30 wake up and decided it was play time :cry:

oh well... its going ok, I have all the time to take it slow. Back to no 2am's tonight and hopefully next weekend will be the no-pickups! eek!

veganmama

Post by veganmama » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:39 pm

We had night 9 last night of no feeds at all at night. He woke at 2.50 which is the longest sleep he's done since birth! Took 40 min to resettle though. Then woke at 4.50 and I fed him at 5. Wouldn't go back to sleep though. Definite progress happening, just slowly slowly.

Snake Hips Mcroy

Post by Snake Hips Mcroy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Wow that's amazing veganmama! Even though I ended up abandoning the night weaning, I found it still really helped our sleep - in that ds learnt other ways to go back to sleep. After our night weaning experience, we were down to about 2 wake ups a night (as opposed to about 6-7!).

Good luck and hope tonight is a good one!
DS1 - born May 2011, breastfed for 26 months
DS2 - born Dec 2013, breastfeeding like a champ

Meliybee

Post by Meliybee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:24 pm

has anyone heard of the sweet spot for night weaning between 8-12 months?

Thats what made me decide to do it now... I heard from my chiro - who specializes in bubs and pregnancy, and is an advocate for home birth, all things organic/earthy/natural and attachment parenting (she has 3 bubs, one who is a week older than mine) - that there is a sweet spot for night weaning between 8 & 12 months because they aren't so set in their ways yet. She also said it is easier to deal with them just yelling at you when you wont give them boob as opposed to them yelling MUM! :( :lol:

Anyone else tried this...?

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:59 pm

I'm not noticing anything approaching a sweet spot for nightweaning DD2 atm. Quite the opposite :? I might have more luck day weaning her :lol:

I think Nedsmum has mentioned that there does seem to be a drop off from some babies after 9 months. I don't know if it's particulalry for day or night. If you're planning to wean by 12 months, you could use it very effectively.

Good luck!
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

veganmama

Post by veganmama » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:17 am

Final night of Dr Jays (modified ) night weaning last night. Night 10. Fed at 6.30 pm. Awake from 8-8.45 with tummy ache (evidenced by loud passing of wind before settling!). Then didn't call us until 5am!!!! I'm sure there will still be tough nights but I'm calling it - DS is officially night weaned.

Meliybee

Post by Meliybee » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:31 pm

Mine hit a "bump" last night.

A feed before bed at 6pm - instead of 7pm as he only slept for 40 mins in the pm instead of his usual 1.5h so he was plenty grumpy. fed at 9.30pm, then again at what I thought was 11pm... doh! #-o was 1.30am. Big feed tho. has been off his solids a bit today too so I think his top teeth are on there way.
Hes really fussy, lots of drool =P~ and wants to chomp/bite on everything (including the new lounge!! :shock: haha)

Not keen to wean him through the day yet just was hoping the 2 am would eventually drop off and sleep through... haha I think im kidding myself!

Happiness

Maintaining supply when sleeping through

Post by Happiness » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:13 am

Hi everybody,
I've just joined this forum as I have a bit of an urgent question (aren't they all).
My bub who is 4 months has started sleeping through the night consistently now. It first happened when he was 2 and a half months but I just though he might have been tired after some very big days (camping and bush walking...yes, it can be done). At 3 months already he was waking maybe just once, at around 3 am, and now that he is 4 months I give him his evening feed between 6 and 7pm, put him to bed at 7 and give him another night feed at 10:30, after which he sleeps till 6-7 in the morning. The first times he did this I woke up by myself, in a puddle of milk, as my supply was clearly very high and my boobs had overflown. But now, after things have settled I am worried that my milk supply has dropped. I've tried to express a few times and I can't get more then 60ml, where as before I would have no problem getting 100. Bub seems happy enough, he is content after feeds, but he does suck his fingers quite a lot (which I know is just a soothing thing, but could this maybe prevent him from feeling hungry?). The last few weeks when I got him weighed he hadn't put on what he should have, but the nurse told me it could have been from him having had the sniffles.
As you can see, I am a bit freaked out that I am losing my milk because bub sleeps through. On the other hand, I don't want to wake him up at night since he's done this by himself, without me pushing any schedule or routine on him.
Any advice?

Yankee

Re: Night weaning

Post by Yankee » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:54 am

Hi and welcome to the forum! A couple thoughts ... Getting 60ml when you express is heaps! Your body generally makes just as much as your baby needs and no more, how much you can express is not a very good indicator of how much your baby is getting. Is bub still having plenty of heavy wet nappies? Generally content during the day? Any weight gain at all? Focussing solely on weight can be misleading too, as long as your bub isn't significantly dropping in percentiles and your nurse isn't worried it's probably all ok.

That being said, I will warn you about the 'four month monsters' ... Your long stretches of sleep could very well be about to end. It's very common for babies to have a sleep regression around 4 or 5 months as they learn to roll over and want to be active all the time.
DD born September 2013

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:03 pm

Hello! Lucky you for having a baby that sleeps through! :wink: As Yankee said, things could well change, babies have a habit of doing such things just when you think you have them all figured out.

One of the best indications that baby is getting enough is looking at wet nappy count - 5-6 disposables or 6-8 cloth in 24 hours. You could also try offering more feeds during the day to make up for the long stretches overnight.

As for the amount you're able to express, as Yankee said 60ml is excellent. A lot of women find that they are able to express a lot in the early days but once supply regulates then they are only able to express smaller amounts. This isn't indicative of losing your milk, it just means that your supply has gone from being hormone-driven to demand-driven. The term supply and demand means that the more you feed (or express), the more milk your body will make. How much you can express also isn't an indication of how much milk bub is getting, babies are usually more efficient at extracting breastmilk than a pump. Some mums are really good at expressing and others aren't so good, but both can adequately feed a baby directly from the breast.

If you're concerned it might also be worth giving the helpline a call, a trained counsellor can go through everything with you in detail.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

coasty_mum

Post by coasty_mum » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:54 pm

Following... DS, just over 2yo, still wakes 1-2 times per night. much better than what he sued to be like but I am still tired and I am ready for more sleep.
I feel
I am gradually getting closer to feeling ready for BF journey to finish. I am happy we have fed for 2 years.\
I have been gradually putting limits in place for the past 6 months, "when I'm finished eating", "When we get home", "after our night stories" etc.

I have been trying to get him to sleep after his feed, just lying together, some nights it works really well, although I have to be very patient.
I tried once a couple of weeks ago to not feed in the middle of the night because my nipples were super sore (Period) and I was up for over an hour with a whingy, crying, cranky boy who wouldn't sleep LOL

I need to try and do this when we both feel ready for a week of crap nights (expect the worst?).
I'm already low on energy so I don't think right now is great but in the "near" future... I'd like to night wean shortly. Maybe full ML weaning around/by DS's 3rd birthday (9 months away).

I feel I have given him everything since he was born and now I need to check in with myself and start meeting my needs again. I honestly feel so relived when he only feeds a couple of times a day compared to like a baby. I also find although I still really value bf, as some feeds drag on I find myself thinking "can you just get off now?". sometimes I ask "empty/finished?" to prompt him to think about it and move on to "play ..."

Not feeling guilty at all. Just a little uncertain how it will play out and hoping it isn't too taxing on my heart or our sleep...
Made it to 12 months with the help of a breast pump and everyone at ABA/on forum!!!

A job shared is a job halved!

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:56 am

Hugs, even under the best of circumstances weaning is an emotional time. I remember that feeling of being ready, but in my case DD ended up deciding she was done. And I had a big cry even though I knew I was ready!

But as we always say, bf is a two-way relationship and you are a champ to have bf for two years.
DD born September 2013