Night weaning

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
huonsmum

Post by huonsmum » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:19 pm

I'm watching with interest - my DD is a few weeks younger than your LO. Very keen to see how you go
me too! I have now accepted the many night feeding for now but am back to work in a couple of months so may have to do something then.
DS-Aug 2011

mamairie

Post by mamairie » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:37 pm

Night 6 and still no feeds at night but last night was pretty painful. Not so much because of DS. I think i was just extra tired and so nearly caved. He didn't really cry at all and was not awake for long the 3 times that he woke before 5. But not really any improvement on sleep and worse that the night before... :(

Today i worked and DH said that DS has been acting weird all day. He hardly slept at all despite getting up early (6.20). He was hard to put to bed just now and i just heard him give a one cry but he seems to have gone back to sleep.

I'm starting to doubt myself now and wonder if his behaviour today is linked to missing out on sooo many calories at night. He is a big boy best part of 15kg! He's not really fat, just big. Like really big hands and feet!

Oh why must there be so much doubt with this mothering gig?? :?

I'll keep you guys posted. Going back to work has really influenced my decision - i can't cope with so little sleep and function in a grown ups world!

mum2H&R

Post by mum2H&R » Mon May 07, 2012 12:13 pm

I've decided that it's time that I did something to get me some more sleep & to rest my poor damaged nipples. K wakes minimum of 5 times a night and will not go back to sleep unless she is feed & she has to be totally asleep before she comes off. Have tried the PPO with no luck. Nothing settles her, she screams, slaps & scratches DH if he tries to comfort her. We co-sleep with her cot set up as a side car arrangement.

Last night was night 1, I feed her but not to sleep, she screamed in my arms for what seemed like forever - but I think it was more like 45 minute (she's a stubborn one :? ) I did feed her through the night but only short feeds and took her off before she would have liked. She screamed but only for a short time. I try to pat her back or stroke her hair but she slaps my hand away screaming no, no, no. 6am she had a feed (#5 since 10.30pm) and protested (sounds much nicer than screamed) for about 10 - 15 minutes so I put the tv for distraction. She ended up falling back to sleep at 7.

She has never been one to just lie down beside me & fall asleep & yet she will fall asleep in the car or ergo without a peep. I'm happy to have her in our bed still but the constant waking & screaming for boob is really taking it's toll.
DS1 - April 06
DS2 - August 08
DD - October 10

What other people think of me is none of my business.

mum2H&R

Post by mum2H&R » Mon May 07, 2012 12:15 pm

I've decided that it's time that I did something to get me some more sleep & to rest my poor damaged nipples. K wakes minimum of 5 times a night and will not go back to sleep unless she is feed & she has to be totally asleep before she comes off. Have tried the PPO with no luck. Nothing settles her, she screams, slaps & scratches DH if he tries to comfort her. We co-sleep with her cot set up as a side car arrangement.

Last night was night 1, I feed her but not to sleep, she screamed in my arms for what seemed like forever - but I think it was more like 45 minute (she's a stubborn one :? ) I did feed her through the night but only short feeds and took her off before she would have liked. She screamed but only for a short time. I try to pat her back or stroke her hair but she slaps my hand away screaming no, no, no. 6am she had a feed (#5 since 10.30pm) and protested (sounds much nicer than screamed) for about 10 - 15 minutes so I put the tv for distraction. She ended up falling back to sleep at 7.

She has never been one to just lie down beside me & fall asleep & yet she will fall asleep in the car or ergo without a peep. I'm happy to have her in our bed still but the constant waking & screaming for boob is really taking it's toll some nights is as often as every 20 minutes with the longest stretch being 2 hours.
DS1 - April 06
DS2 - August 08
DD - October 10

What other people think of me is none of my business.

mamairie

Post by mamairie » Tue May 08, 2012 10:07 pm

How did you go last night mum2h&r?

leeannp70

Night weaning

Post by leeannp70 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:20 pm

At 15 months my bub was having one feed during the night (usually are 3-4am) which i used to get her back to sleep. I just dropped it. She was as cranky as buggery for three nights but my husband got up, gave her a drink of water and put her back in her cot and told her to go to sleep. It worked. Don't give up because it is the best thing I've ever done and after 15 months of feeding, I feel terrific having a good nights sleep!

Haidee

Night weaning- what age?

Post by Haidee » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:48 pm

I night weaned DD1 at 16 months as I believe it had become a re-settling association and she was waking every 2 hours. I used Sheyne Rowley's approach (but with my own routine etc) and role played to prepare her for it. It only took 3 nights and she was sleeping 10 hours, re-settling with my comfort and then feeding after 12 hours when she woke up for the day. I used lines like "no more booby until the sun comes up" and when it was up I emphasised with "sun's up it's booby time!" Decided cold turkey was better so it didn't confuse DD but there was always the option if they were sick to say "DD is sick Mum help tonight have some booby bc you are sick". But I didn't ever have to do that.

Anyway so I feel I have an approach that works for me for the night weaning but when should I?

DD2 is only 8 months but I feel is heading down the same path as DD1. This time around I can't sleep during the day so am a scattered zombie with some serious cranky pants on! I want to return to being energetic and patient!!

Is 8 months too early? She hasn't even got teeth yet!

huonsmum

Post by huonsmum » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:18 pm

Well I think I can safely post without jinx myself! We have night weaned and he is sleeping through the night for over a week! :D :lol:
After 17 months of never getting more than 3hours sleep in a row and sometimes awake for hours at a time to say that I was loosing my marbles would be an understatement! Co-sleeping did not work for us as he seem to sleep somewhat better in his own bed and whenever we brought him in to us lately he thought it was playtime.
I was also starting to really resent bf and with still no cycle back and planning to try for next one, we decided to give night weaning a go. I didn't think I would be able to not feed him if I went to him so we decided that DH would try to resettle.
The first couple of nights where hard he cried a bit but DH stayed with him cuddling and reassuring and each night it was quicker, then the 4th night he didn't wake up! Since then we have heard him wake up cry for a couple of sec and go back to sleep before DH can get out of bed!
I have been feeling so much better and fresher! Also happy that we didnt give into pressure from friends and family to leave him to cry. I'm still feeding him in the morning and then before he goes to bed and am really enjoying this special time with my little fellow. I'm also really proud of my husband for doing this, we had tried it before but never been able to resettle without bf. I think that my son was ready and being older he understood what DH was saying to him. It seems to have brought them closer and I feel like we are parenting more as a team/sharing the load.
Sorry to go on but also justwant to say thanks for all the reassurance I've got from this forum when I'd desperately post it is a life line to me! I'm sure we will still have rough nights but it's great knowing that hubby can help too although sometimes only mummy will do!
DS-Aug 2011

MM

Post by MM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:00 pm

Wow that's awesome Huonsmum! You must feel like a million bucks!
DS - May 2011

bubbychoochoo

Post by bubbychoochoo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:05 pm

DH wants me to start night weaning DD. She is 8mth. Is that a bit young? She goes to sleep around 8pm, feeds to sleep. Sometimes I do PPO but she always wakes up 1hr later starving. Then feeds 10.30, 1.30, 3.30 & 5.30. She used to be a brilliant sleeper, feeding at 11pm then 4am, but this has stopped with teething & crawling & being so active. If I do start night weaning, that doesn't guarantee she will sleep through the nite, does it?

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:13 pm

bubbychoochoo wrote:DH wants me to start night weaning DD. She is 8mth. Is that a bit young? She goes to sleep around 8pm, feeds to sleep. Sometimes I do PPO but she always wakes up 1hr later starving. Then feeds 10.30, 1.30, 3.30 & 5.30. She used to be a brilliant sleeper, feeding at 11pm then 4am, but this has stopped with teething & crawling & being so active. If I do start night weaning, that doesn't guarantee she will sleep through the nite, does it?
No, nightweaning doesn't necessarily mean that night waking stops, AND it means that you've lost one way to get bub back to sleep.Probably the main reason that we haven't night weaned yet at 20months - I'm too scared to! I guess it gets to the stage where it is more effort to keep feeding than it is to wean - I know that we haven't got there yet.

DD slept through fo a few months when she was about 4 months old, but then went back to waking up. I had a thread I think, i'll see if I can find it.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

MM

Post by MM » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:24 pm

Yup we night weaned at 16 months and the waking pattern remained pretty much exactly the same, except that we had to sing lullabies, rock, pat and even sometimes get up and walk with the ergo instead! After a solid 2 months of not caving we discarded the experiment and went back to night feeding. It's much more pleasant, even though I'm still feeding a 21 month old several times over night. Much better than pacing the hall!
DS - May 2011

marie7

Post by marie7 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:25 pm

For my bubs 8 mths would be too young. My first boy night weaned at 16 mths and he was NOT happy about it, but I needed my space at night. It actually made the night Wakings WORSE :( because he had no idea how to settle back to sleep without it.l. But once we had that sorted sleeping improved... Ds2 has just night weaned recently at 12 mths. We were both ready and he was happy with cuddles WIERD :smt017 he eats more than ds1 did so that might have something to do with it... He still feeds to sleep but stopped feeding back to sleep at night and it was making t worse feeding him! Clearly he was ready with the smooth transition we had! I honestly can't believe it was so easy... :shock: So in conclusion you will know when she's ready, does your hubby think she will sleep better? It doesn't guarantee it by a long shot! Goodluck
DS APRIL 09 BF 2YRS DS2 FEB 12 BF
Number 3 on its way due 18 may!!
Fellare is storking me!! :)

MM

Post by MM » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Btw, we are thinking of giving it a other crack sometime soon- my boy has just started going to sleep on the bed without breastfeeding if I'm not there. The plan would be for me to sleep in the spare room for a week and my dh to do all the settling, then for me to move back in once it's under control. But we'll wait til my dh can be bothered. :lol:

Your dh may be less keen to nightwean if he thinks *he* will be the one pacing the hall all night...
DS - May 2011

Meliybee

Post by Meliybee » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:13 am

Im starting mynight weaning venture of the 2/3am feed tonight.

DS is 9months, a good eater & BFer through the day. He wakes (generally) so much thru the night that i am exhausted!. i work from home and im trying to study Uni aswell so im really starting to need to function like a human not a zombie.

Orignially he was being rocked to sleep and its taken between 3-10days to get him to go to sleep in his cot (sort of) by himself.

Ive been limiting the 2/3 am feed to really short, only one side and not to sleep for the last 2 nights. Mostly he seems to attach, wait for the let down, 3sucks and drop off anyway which makes me think he would be ok without it. I'm thinking ill offer a drink if water instead if hes really desperate.

I'll continue the 7pm bed time feed (not to sleep), cuddle song and in bed with pat, back rub till sleepy. Then also give the 11pm feed, with the same sort of process, but without the song. Then the plan is at 2am to pick up, give a cuddle, dummy and then back on cot awake with a pat/back rub etc.

Ive taken lots of tips from DrJay, and i am hoping that bub will be ok from 11-5am(ish) so 6hrs without a feed .

The other reason im thinking of doing it is W was feeding at 11/12pm then again about 4.30am and up for the day about 6 but wasnt interested in the wake up feed until after breakfast (8am). Im keen to keep the feed, play, sleep routine and we were (sorta) on a 6,10,2 feeding routine, but since dropping a day sleep that went out the window because he is now asleep at 10am and was napping at 2.30.

As my MIL says... As soon as you get them figured out... They change! Ha!

Well, im posting here to stay motivated. But ive decided that im ok if it doesnt work. As i have read on here, so many of you revert and then succeed on later tries. "Its ok to go back and try again later" is my mantra.
My delightful DH said to me last night "its ok hun, im cool with getting up and having a camp out with hot Milos/cups of tea and getting through it together"
Naww what a sweetheart.