Night weaning

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk

Night weaning

Postby Baby Blue Eyes » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:53 pm

Andrew's mum has been lovely enough to allow us to have a sticky on night weaning so please let us know your tips, experiances etc.
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths
Baby Blue Eyes

Postby mummakrissy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:16 pm

Hellooooo .... anyone out there that can give some tips on night weaning. I may need to do this in a few months time so would love any ideas/suggestions etc.

thanks in advance!!
DD - fed 2yr 9m
DS - fed 3yr 2m
Ready for round three of breastfeeding!! :)
mummakrissy

Postby dani&milly » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:02 pm

don't know if I can really help, when I night weaned I just dropped to no feeds at all, I figured it would be more confusing being able to feed sometimes and not others, but you could start trying to drop a feed at a time, how many time are you feeding overnight?
DD was 20 months when I finally got around to night weaning, so might be a bit different.
I just offered her water when she woke, she was a bit upset for three nights but then it settled down, I think she got really upset around the seventh night but we kept going with it, she was still being comforted just not with boob.

dani&milly

Postby Baby Blue Eyes » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:00 am

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp

this is what I used to help us on the night weaning journey

here are a couple of other threads of interest as well

http://www.lrc.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.p ... ight=night

http://www.lrc.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.p ... ight=night

I can't find the thread I did
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths
Baby Blue Eyes

Postby MaksMommy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:22 am

dani&milly wrote:don't know if I can really help, when I night weaned I just dropped to no feeds at all,

Same.. Well night weaned for about 3nights.. then decided it wasn't "helping" my situation and weaned completely. It was at 22 months though... For the night weaning I couldn't physically do it b/c DD wouldn't accept me in the room without a boob in her mouth (also went form co-sleeping all night to sleeping by herself in her own room for as much of the night as possible - she sleeps better. Go figure.) so lovely DBF would get up to her every 30seconds.. and eventually, she realised she wasn't going to get anything.. And Started sleeping longer... and still will if DBF is here... But that's not very often.. Hehe. He has the magic touch.
MaksMommy

Postby ljsmum » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:42 pm

I'm not totally actively night weaning but DS has recently been waking every hour, comfort sucking to get into the next sleep cycle & I was starting to have enough of it & resenting bf. For DS it was a total sleep association & I knew I had to remove it. So I started doing the PPO consistently & recently he's been self settling (with me just lying beside him - no feeding at all). So over the last month I've been trying to get him to self settle more often when he wakes (hug first, then lie down together). Miraculously he's just been rolling over & sleeping. So I've been doing this at the beginning of the night & perservering as long as I can (my tiredness, not his distress :) - then doing the easy, feed to sleep). Last night we made it to 5am (from his last feed at 7pm!). I couldn't believe it & actually really enjoyed the 5am feed. Plus he had a 4 hr stretch vs every hour usually!

I'd tried the PPO in the past & hadn't had as much success - either I wasn't desperate enough to be consistent or he wasn't ready. But (touch wood) it seems to be working. My aim is to get to 5am every day - he can have his early morning feed then nap for another hour or two. Then up for the day & have solids. Ideally he won't wake at 5am though, & he'll have a bf when he wakes at 6 or 7am.

Hopefully things continue! I'm a bit nervous now that I've posted, I hope I haven't jinxed myself. But I'm so excited I couldn't not - this is the longest he's gone overnight -ever :D
ljsmum

Postby JulieL » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:44 pm

LJ - What's PPO? Sorry if that makes me sound simple...

We (well I) am looking to night wean when DS is 12 months old. The last 2 weeks or so, he has had a big feed at bedtime then has slept through to around 4-5am (so almost 8-9 hours) and only waking up once at midnight for a quick suckle.

I am also thinking to trying to get him off the falling to sleep feed, but I want to take things one at a time. At the moment, he won't let me hold him to sleep now so I'm trying to the whole "It's bed time, lay down and go to sleep." pattern over and over again.
JulieL

Postby ljsmum » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:40 pm

Hi JulieL, Sounds like your little man is a good sleeper! I'll swap you :lol: The PPO is the Pantley Pull Off from the No Cry Sleep Solution - where you let baby almost feed to sleep but as soon as the proper feeding becomes the comfort suck you detach them. Eventually they get the idea that when they're finished drinking, thats it, and then they go to sleep on their own (or thats the plan!). My DS is almost 12 months aswell, he's had 24 boob access for 12 months and I don't think I've had more than 3 hrs sleep in a row since birth, so it's time for us. He's a good eater aswell, so I don't worry that he's hungry - I honestly think with DS its just habit/sleep association. Now when he wakes he isn't expecting a feed & if I do I use the PPO, so he knows its for food/drink, not sleep. Or I try :wink:
ljsmum

Postby JulieL » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks for clearing that up LJ. No swapping here, I have my bad nights let me just say that. I haven't read the NCSS book. I sort of use that technique, when he pulls off for a few minutes then tries to get back on for minute, I tell him no more.
JulieL

Postby flutterbye » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:55 am

I have just begun our night weaning journey. I have read Elizabeth Pantley and was starting to make a plan, but last night DH who had been very supportive of sustained breastfeeding said DD should be weaned.

After I said a straight No I will not be weaning DD and further questioning he said just the night time feeds should be stopped. I myself am ok with this as I had been researching this. I felt the pressure on from DH......so went cold turkey last night.

I just picked DD up and rocked/patted/rubbed her back and amazingly each time she was asleep probably in about the same time as a b/feed to sleep. She did cry but only for a short time and I comforted her the whole time and it was not a real cry. I was gonna try the PPO but felt that still seems like feeding to sleep/comfort from the breast.

I have always given up and breastfed very quickly, so was amazed and kinda proud of myself to get from 7pm - 5am without a bf (3x wake ups 9pm; 11:30pm & 1am).

I still really want to be able to bf in the day. This is only Night one, see how we go
DD: 6/2007 BF for 23 months
DS: 3/2010 BF for 26 months
flutterbye

Postby ljsmum » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:33 am

Mic&Teeg - good work! I know what you mean about using the PPO - it is still feeding to sleep (sort of). I started using it (again :roll: ) about a month ago (I think) just to break the nipple in the mouth sleep association. Once he got used to that he was able to just be patted or ssshhed. So at the moment I'm either patting, sshhing or rocking (sitting in a rocking chair) & no boob. I've been doing that for a few weeks, but only mangaged to resettle without boob until about 11pm, then I was too tired. But I must have had a good sleep on the weekend & recharged myself because on Tuesday night I just kept going & before we knew it - it was 5am & no feeds. Last night was night 2 and no feed until 6am! Also pretty hassle free. There was a little bit of whinging at 2am, but not proper upset crying. It only lasted for about 5min & he was in my arms, so I was pretty comfortable (& I don't have much tolerance for crying). DS had a feed when he woke, but wasn't starving, so I'm pretty comfortable that he isn't feeding for hunger just comfort.

Anyway, hope tonight goes as well for you. :)
ljsmum

Postby threeboys3 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:21 pm

I am going to be watching this thread with interest!
At the moment, we have had 3 nights of DS3 sleeping from 7pm ( feed) to 5am (feed) - which is a massive change from every 2 hours feeding. DH has been settling (he is absolutely exhausted, poor man, I let him have a little sleep in this morning) - patting, shhhing and gave a little drink of water once or twice.
DS3 is in cot next to my side of bed, but we have swapped sides for now.

I am sure this is probably the beginning of our night weaning journey, not the end, as we tried this a couple of months ago and it worked for about 5-6 nights.
My plan is to feed, if DS3 gets really distressed, and to set our time limit for the morning feed at about 5.?

We tried a roll over feed, then not feeding until about 4am. For us this didn't work, almost like waking him for the roll over was making him more disturbed from midnight onwards? I know it's not supoosed to, so I don't know why

I am feeling a bit guilty about night weaning. A part of me wants to just feed him at night until he doesn't need/want it - but I just can't do it! I'm am shattered from lack of sleep, and it's making me loose patience with DS1 and DS2. Though if it starts affecting his day feeds (we've had day refusal before) I'll have to rethink...
Kathryn
DS1 99
DS2 01
DS3 07

ImageImage
threeboys3

Postby ljsmum » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:45 pm

Well, night 3 and again no feeds until 6ish and no upset baby either. It's getting to the point DS isn't even looking to feed when he needs help getting back to sleep :)

When would you consider a baby night weaned? After how long?
ljsmum

Postby JulieL » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:28 am

Personally, I think to think him weaned after three days is a little soon, but that is JMO. Perhaps give him a few extra nights. He may have adapted well to and is over it, he may not.
JulieL

Postby flutterbye » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:24 am

We are a bit all over the place with the night weaning. 5 nights have passed. Note DD wakes at 7:30am everyday regardless of how much sleep she's had.
Th/Fri I had a real problem just getting DD to go to sleep at the start of the night. I am trying to create a pre bedtime routine and set bed time to also help the process, which I did but DD was full of beans. When she did sleep she slept well with only 2 wake ups. On the Thurs the 2nd time she woke I did end up BF her & doing the PPO (hubby was gonna be up within the hour of when she woke & I know how prescious the last hour of sleep can be.
Sat were out all day and the pre bedtime routine got mucked up and DD crashed really early (6pm) but woke 4 x and resettle no BF the first 3x. Also on the 4th but woke as I put her into the cot and wouldn't resettle and ended up BF her back to sleep.
Last night she went to sleep per the routine (yay) and slept for 5.5hrs straight (OMG) which is the first for ages. Then woke 2x 1:30am & 3:30am and for some reason I just gave in at the 3:30am and BF to sleep.
So I'm giving the poor girl mixed messages and back tracking I think - Oh I don't know do I keep going or give up?

ps thanks BBE for the link to Dr Jay Gordon, I feel I am following his technique. Any extra ideas/methods are helpful.
DD: 6/2007 BF for 23 months
DS: 3/2010 BF for 26 months
flutterbye

Next

Return to Introducing Solids & Weaning