What can you tell me about weaning and hormones?

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
Nicwwjd

What can you tell me about weaning and hormones?

Post by Nicwwjd » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:56 pm

Hi ladies!

DD is now 19 months and is now only feeding once a day- and in the last few days down to every other day. I am in such a bad mood, feeling snappy and grumpy to the max. I have absolutely no patience and feel like I could burst into tears at anytime.... Is this normal when weaning? What are our hormones doing when weaning? It's not fun! (And I suppose I'm a bit sad about her weaning too- I do so love feeding her!)

Thanks x
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014

MamaMagoO?

Re: What can you tell me about weaning and hormones?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:34 pm

Hey Nicwwjd. Its is really common for mums to experience a hormonal dump when weaning that can leave you feeling an emotional wreck. I was really surprised when it happened to me because we had been weaning so gradually but it did.

Be gentle with yourself. This too will pass and hopefully you'll be feeling yourself again soon xx
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

Nicwwjd

Post by Nicwwjd » Thu May 05, 2016 1:39 pm

Thanks Mamamagoo. It's good to know it's not just me or my imagination! My 8 week old niece was just here and it reminded me that my baby is now all grown up. I'm pretty sure she is weaned now- my boobs were sore so I offered her a Feed the other day- she sucked for maybe 20 seconds, whilst smiling at me, pulled off and giggled, then wriggled herself away and went off to play. Such a wonderful journey! :)
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014

Esther

Post by Esther » Thu May 05, 2016 1:47 pm

Oh yes to hormone dump here too. I thought DD2 was still feeding at the end of last year. My period was due. DP was away with work and I could.not.stop.crying after kids went to bed. It was awful. I was tying myself up in knots about all sorts of things that I thought I'd failed at too...think I posted here! I realised a day or so later that it was PMS, but it wasn't until a few months later that I started to work out that I must have copped a double whammy of weaning hormones and PMS. I definitely wouldn't recommend it :?
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Nicwwjd

Post by Nicwwjd » Thu May 05, 2016 2:02 pm

I totally get that Esther.... My period is trying to come back too (not successfully so far) and today I've got both kids sleeping and I just want to cry! Probably not helped by 2 grandparents having passed away in the past 3 months.... Emotional overwhelm- hormones don't help it at all! I feel like a mess on the inside!
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014

Esther

Post by Esther » Thu May 05, 2016 2:30 pm

Nicwwjd wrote:I totally get that Esther.... My period is trying to come back too (not successfully so far) and today I've got both kids sleeping and I just want to cry! Probably not helped by 2 grandparents having passed away in the past 3 months.... Emotional overwhelm- hormones don't help it at all! I feel like a mess on the inside!
Hugs. sounds like there's a lot going on for you right now xo
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Nicwwjd

Post by Nicwwjd » Sat May 14, 2016 7:23 am

Thanks for the encouragement and support ladies! I'm pretty confident dd has now weaned (she came back to feed after the last post- but now it's been 5 days), and I'm feeling so much more calm! Those hormones were full on- I really did think I was losing it!
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sat May 14, 2016 9:22 am

Yep - hugely off putting here too. I will say that Mrs moops fed about every ten days for about a year - I actually have no idea when she 'weaned' or when her last feed was!

So maybe not all over just yet?
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either