Sore breast following weaning 23 month old

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk

Sore breast following weaning 23 month old

Postby mandyperth » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi
My 23 month old daughter appears to be done b/f. We were down to one a day anyway, and she hasn't had any for just over two weeks. I've been expressing a little bit in the shower for comfort and thought I was doing ok, but last night and today the underside of my right breast is quite sore. Not red, and I can't feel anything lumpy, it's just really tender. I've been massaging the sore bit throughout the day and I'll try hand-expressing some more when I get home from work. Do you think I'd be crazy to try to get her to have a bedtime feed? I had a few bouts of mastitis when she was about 9 months old (out of the blue, never having had it with my older daughter or prior to that with this one) and am desperate to avoid it!
Thank you.
mandyperth

Re: Sore breast following weaning 23 month old

Postby Mummy woo! » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi Mandy

No worries at all offering her a feed - draining the affected breast is really helpful if you do have mastitis developing. You do need to be prepared for her to think that is a fab idea and to want to keep feeding though! It is up to you whether that is a benefit or a disadvantage!

If you don't want to feed her you could keep going with the hand expressing but if you can't clear it overnight you might want to have a chat with your GP about treatment tomorrow. And keep an eye out for flu-like symptoms - you know what to look out for.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Esther » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:45 pm

When I had sore boobs I found massaging the breast in a big bowl of warm water helped as well. Gravity +heat can work magic!

But yes to everything MW said too.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Postby mandyperth » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks- I wound up feeding her before bed, at 11pm and 7am (all of which she was very happy about) and the soreness is gone. Now to start the slow cutting down again!
mandyperth

Postby Esther » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:50 pm

Glad to hear you're feeling better! Thanks for update :-D
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Return to Introducing Solids & Weaning