Trying to wean a baby who wont eat dairy!!

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
mumofonebubsy

Trying to wean a baby who wont eat dairy!!

Post by mumofonebubsy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:18 am

My DS is 13 months old and dropping night feeds has been a success (fist pumping the air!!!) and I have dropped morning tea and afternoon feeds which has been replaced with lots of food and water...... however, he will not eat dairy!!??

I have tried to offer him cows milk to replace the morning tea and afternoon tea feeds, but he refuses to, or spits out the milk. I have tried a variety of cups and bottles (he has never had a bottle, so this has been a failure trying to get him to drink from one) warm or cold, watered down and so far he will not drink it. I have tried to include cheese and yoghurt into his diet and he will taste it and spit it out. I find this extremely difficult to understand is that he will eat EVERYTHING ELSE I offer him..... even dog biscuits, sand, bark, grass.... anything he can get his grubby little hands on!!

I am apprehensive at starting to drop the breakfast, lunch and evening feeds as I don't know what to replace these with as he wont drink cows milk and pretty much crawls around after me begging to be breastfed.

I am finding this difficult to adjust to as my first DS, once he got used to drinking cows milk from a bottle/cup, was happy to wean. I had no issues weaning him at all and the transition from breastfeeding to drinking milk out of a cup was simple. I thought it would be just as easy with the second child... stupid me!!

Two children could never be so different in EVERY way!! What to do??

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Re: Trying to wean a baby who wont eat dairy!!

Post by AussieBritLu » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:11 pm

Hi!

My son didn't eat or drink dairy until a few months ago and he is almost 3. :-) keep persisting.....
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:06 pm

I think there's a big issue that it's seen as essential to replace our milk with dairy products and it's not always necessary. I think that dairy has a high calcium sources, yes, but there's also calcium in other foods as well.

Maybe ease off for both of you with pushing the dairy and have a look at his intake over the couse of a few days/a week and see what happens? I'm sure I remember someone saying on here that at this age it's good to look at what they eat over a week, rather than day by day :-k

I also found with mine that it helped to just offer food at family mealtimes and leave breastfeeds as breastfeeds, rather than trying to replace one with another. If everyone else is sitting down to eat, DS can join in and learn the social aspects of eating as well - such as table manners (cough, are you listening, my DS?) and conversation (well, I can dream :roll: ) Then it might be easier to actually cut out the breastfeeds, rather than try and replace them, iykwim?

Good luck!
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:54 pm

Could he possibly be intolerant to dairy? I've heard of kids refusing a certain food before and it turns out they were allergic or intolerant to it. Not sure where I read that.

There are other milks you could try... Almond, rice, coconut, soy, etc.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:33 pm

Milk/Dairy foods are 'convenience' foods but there's no rule that the child must drink or eat dairy. I was at an early childhood conference years ago and noticed that all the 'nutrition' posters and resources that were being given out were all sponsored by the dairy industry! That made me a little suspicious! The NHMRC guidelines for over 12 months read something like 'a normal diet of healthy family foods'...

I have been working with babies and toddlers the last 6 years now and one of the questions I ask all new parents I meet is what their toddler 'likes' to eat....the vast majority of them say 'pasta' or some other starchy carbohydrate source. I can only assume that's what toddlers probably naturally need...plus a variety of other 'family foods'...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

mumofonebubsy

Post by mumofonebubsy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:44 pm

Thanks for your comments and support!

I decided to start by dropping the lunch time feed on Monday and have continued to for the rest of the week. DS is grumpy but wont accept a drink of cows milk before he has a midday nap and we are both holding our ground.

I got most of my 'parenting' advice from my mother and grandmother and introducing cows milk as a replacement to breast milk was advice I used with my eldest son and I just assumed it would work just as well with DS number 2. I now know that a lot of children do not like dairy..... my sister one of them!! I have just rung my mother this week and apparently when she weaned my sister (30 something years ago), she didn't take to dairy!!

DS has always been a good eater and breastfeeding has taken a back seat since food was introduced but I can see this week that breastfeeding is still a lot of comfort for him so he isn't going to wean quietly. Slowly, slowly..... I think its going to take a long time to drop the last two feeds!!

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:54 pm

It's pretty normal to keep those last two feeds, usually first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening....for a lot longer...if you're happy to do that, then you may also find it easier as rapid weaning has an effect on the mother as well (I felt shocking mood swings/PMS-like symptoms for at least a month after fully weaning).... it gives a chance for your body to adapt until you're ready to make another change...
I thought my kids weren't getting 'that much' milk...I breastfed them well past 2 years...but when I finally did decide to stop, I force-weaned them very rapidly and the amount of food/drink they needed then doubled... so whatever they were getting, it was obviously a significant part of their diet... even when feeding only once or twice a day...my youngest was 2.5 and going to childcare 5 days per week, breastfed overnight, and was considered a 'big' eater at childcare...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!