Tips for weaning a toddler who LOVES bm /fussy about food

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk

Tips for weaning a toddler who LOVES bm /fussy about food

Postby tarywary » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:41 pm

Hi everyone

It's my first post here :smt006

My LO is nearly 22 months and I've been gently weaning him for about the past six months. We're down to bfing during the night, when I get home from work (I work 3 days a week), dinner (sometimes), naps (sometimes), and first thing in the morning. I'm finding it really hard to refuse :( Some days I'm touched out, some days I love it still! My DH is reading him to sleep every night, so that's progress! But he's quite fussy and doesn't really like food/drink.

Anyway, just looking for tips on how to redirect/ distract ....

Thanks x
tarywary

Re: Tips for weaning a toddler who LOVES bm /fussy about foo

Postby Nedsmum » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:03 am

My only advice is that my kids all needed huge amounts of solid food and drinks once completely weaned. My experience is that the child won't wean themselves at that age...more likely something will get in the way, or you will decide enough is enough. Did you have a goal in mind ? If not, even without breastfeeding, parenting a toddler is big work and 22 months is a busy age... Usually the last feed at night or first feed in the morning is the last one to go...

I doubt you can push solids and they will abruptly wean. It's more that whenever you 'skip' a feed and offer other food/drink they will make up for it... but as I said, the big swap over for us happened immediately when they were 100% weaned. Judging by how much their appetite went up, the breastmilk was obviously a big part of their overall diet...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Return to Introducing Solids & Weaning