Calling it. Miss Magoo is Weaned

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk

Calling it. Miss Magoo is Weaned

Postby MamaMagoO? » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:25 am

So after 7.5 years of non-stop breastfeeding it has come to an end :-) :( :roll: :lol:

It has been more than 2 weeks since Miss Magoo had her last feed. She has been gradually reducing the amount of feeds she has and was down to 1 a day for ages, then it was one most days, then a couple of times a week... then about 2 weeks ago my breasts became unexpectedly and strangely sore. Still not sure what was going on with them. It was mostly nipple pain. Maybe thrush, but it didn't feel quite like what I would have expected thrush pain to feel like from what I have read and I have no idea how/why I would have developed thrush especially when I have managed to avoid it for the last 7.5 years.

Anyway my nipples became so sensitive I couldn't bare even the lightest touch so when Miss Magoo asked for a feed that morning I refused and explained to her that my boobies really hurt. She accepted that and was happy to have a cup of milk with a twirly straw as a substitute. The next morning she said she wanted milk and then asked if my boobies were still sore, when I said "yes" she said "OK" and didn't ask for a feed.

She didn't ask again until this morning. My nipples are better now. Still no idea what was wrong with them. I have been rinsing them in diluted ACV in the shower every day and maybe that has helped (or maybe it was a coinsidence). But I have no milk left. I've tried hand expressing in the shower and there was none at all. Not even a drop. And I feel that after 2 weeks without she is doing fine and really doesn't need it any more so I told her that I don't have milk anymore. She asked if my boobies were still sore and I told her they weren't but they just don't have milk anymore because she is such a big girl now and she doesn't need it. She had a bit of a cry and we had a big cuddle. I told her I was sad that I couldn't make milk for her anymore but we could still have lots of lovely cuddles. Then she gave my boobs a kiss and asked if she could have some chocolate milk :D

So, there you have it. It might not be the last time she asks but I will handle it the same way if she does ask again. She has breastfeed for 4 years and 3 months which is exactly a year longer than her brother did which is a kind of interesting little fact. I'm a little sad that it ended in such a strange way but I think the time was right and she was very nearly there of her own accord too.

I think my hormones are going crazy which is a big surprise considering how very slowly we have weaned. I wasn't expecting this at all but I've been very emotional over the last week. Over the last month or so I've had a lot more migraines than usual too which I think may also have a hormonal cause. And I wonder if my nipple pain could have been hormonal too.

But all in all its good and we are fine.

Here's to full-term breastfeeding!!
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.
MamaMagoO?

Re: Calling it. Miss Magoo is Weaned

Postby Esther » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:08 pm

Congrats MM! A lot of what you describe sounds very familiar to me right now. DD2 is s l o w l y weaning. I really don't think there's anything left. But yes to the nipple pain. I think my hormones reset a lot late last year, as I had one horrendous burst of PMT where I just could not stop crying. Not fun.

Hope things settle down for you and the lovely cuddles continue xo
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Postby JMc » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:10 pm

Congratulations! A sad and happy day! Go gently.
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)
JMc

Postby Gwen's Mum » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:29 am

Oh MM, such a bittersweet time! And I always tear up a bit when I read or hear of others' weaning stories. DD was exactly 3 years and 4 months old when she self-weaned during my early pregnancy with DS, and we had some similar conversations about what had happened to the milk. :-)

Your DD and DS are so very fortunate to have had such amazing breastfeeding experiences. Congratulations on a huge milestone! xx
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13
Gwen's Mum

Postby Monicat » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:12 am

Oh my gosh, so many hugs, I am almost in the same place (and your post made me realise it has been about a week since Lucy asked for a feed!) Yay for normal breastfeeding coming to a lovely gentle end.
Monicat

Postby Mummy woo! » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:19 am

Oh bless MM that is such a lovely story. Well done on 7.5 years of breastfeeding. When Mrs Moops weaned she was on a feed once a fortnight for months - I don't think there was anything there and she got frustrated - in hindsight I should have just told her there was none and stopped mucking around! She still cuddles my breasts and burrows her nose in for a smell and says she can still smell milk after a year or so - it is quite sweet.

Watch out for wacky weaning hormones and be proud of yourself - hooray for full term breastfeeding indeed!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Feebes » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:57 pm

Monicat wrote:Oh my gosh, so many hugs, I am almost in the same place (and your post made me realise it has been about a week since Lucy asked for a feed!) Yay for normal breastfeeding coming to a lovely gentle end.

I totally agree. I am so glad that I had the very slow and very gentle weaning experience with Charlotte, all on her terms. Understand thought that this can't be the case all the time though.

I also found that I had an emotional dump too, very weird.

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010
Feebes

Postby ClOuD_NiNe » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:22 pm

Wow what an achievement! I can understand your sadness, I imagine that will be much the way I will feel when breastfeeding finally comes to an end. Bittersweet.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker
ClOuD_NiNe

Postby snowie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:34 am

Your post made me :D and :(
What a wonderful gift you have given your children.
Never forgetting our angel babies
Storking chiggins
snowie

Postby MamaMagoO? » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:29 pm

Thank you everyone. I'm actually not as sad as I thought I'd be. I feel much more sad about the fact she'll be starting school in 12 months time :cry: :roll: :lol:

It really was the right time. Just hope these headaches stop bothering me soon :?
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.
MamaMagoO?

Postby breastfeedingisnormal » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:32 pm

I really didn't like my kids for about 6months after DD weaned. I really admire mums who can parent without the breastfeeding hormones. I would be one of those wolves who abandons her young because, meh.
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV BE (Community & Counselling)
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13
breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Postby Jenbt85 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:44 pm

Congratulations on a beautiful breastfeeding journey :) :)
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Postby DigDig » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:25 pm

What a lovely gentle 7.5 years. Well done mm
DD - BF 23 months 4 1/2yrs
DD2 - BFeeding
DigDig

Postby Mummy woo! » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:24 am

breastfeedingisnormal wrote:I really didn't like my kids for about 6months after DD weaned. I really admire mums who can parent without the breastfeeding hormones. I would be one of those wolves who abandons her young because, meh.

Too true! I'm about 6-12 months out from mrs moops weaning - depending if you count a quick try every other week- I barely do. And I can feel things just starting to get better in me.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Return to Introducing Solids & Weaning