Introducing finger foods

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk

Introducing finger foods

Postby noahsmum » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:12 pm

Hi All,
What's a good age to introduce finger foods? What are the safest one's and what size is safest? Can't half tell I'm a bit nervous about it :-D DS loves his food and has 3 meals a day coarsely fork mashed with little bits of ripe avocado, peach, pear and banana as well as a rusk here and there. Manages these really well but any advice from those who've "been there, done that" would be welcome.
Cheers, Jo
Jo -Noahs Mum
DS -29/7/05
noahsmum

Postby coran » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:17 pm

Sounds a lot like what we've done with our three, except we now avoid rusks and use grissini. #1 started about 7m, #2 about 9m and #3 at about 8m, but we've taken our cues off the kids. We've always had them at the table with us as soon as they could sit in a high chair, then passed them small pieces of whatever we were having when they started to get interested in the contents of our plates. Most veges are good, plus rice and pastas. Big, firm stuff like steak was cut either into finger-sized pieces that were too big to choke on but great for gumming or chewing on, or very little pieces that didn't have to be chewed too hard.

Watch them though - at 9m, #1 nearly choked on a piece of lettuce from a kebab that he was being handed small pieces of. Of course, we were there to retrieve it, but it was a bit frightening.

Cheers,
Coran.
ABA Community Educator, Father of 4.
If you like what we do please consider subscribing and help us keep doing it
coran
Community Educator

Postby Carrie » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:03 am

Hi, Jo,
My twins started out on finger food. They were around 9m. Steamed veges, generally. Potatoe, carrot, broccoli in pieces that were easy to grab. We just put a selection on their high chair trays while we had our dinner, and they ate/played with it.
Carrie
Official Monkey Storker!
(I thought we were hoping for a giraffe?)
Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Introducing finger foods

Postby jilan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:17 pm

Watch them though - at 9m, #1 nearly choked on a piece of lettuce from a kebab that he was being handed small pieces of. Of course, we were there to retrieve it, but it was a bit frightening.,,,,,,,,,,,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kaleem
jilan

Re: Introducing finger foods

Postby AussieBritLu » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:14 pm

I gave my son whatever we were eating and just made sure they were bigger than his hand so he wouldn't choke on a piece.
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF'ing
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.
AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Return to Introducing Solids & Weaning