Thinking about weaning at 6 months

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
Stay_home_Mum

Thinking about weaning at 6 months

Post by Stay_home_Mum » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:05 pm

My daughter will be 4 months in a couple of wks. I have been breastfeeding her since birth which I enjoy doing.
I'm trying to get her used to a routine, however I find breastfeeding is throwing it off track. For example formula fed babies are fed like clock work,every 4 hrs. My daughter who is breastfed might feed every 2,3 or 4 hrs. It's not consistent. I basically feed her whenever she is hungary.

Around the 9 month mark I'll need to go back to work. I have tried expressing milk and I've had no luck. I don't particularly want to formula feed my baby but I figured if she's going to start off on solids formula is a food source also & it might be a good time to start and give her 3 months to wean her off the breast & get her in a proper routine, which will make it easy for when my in laws and my mother will need to mind her when I'm back to work.

Are there any mums out there that weaned their baby at 6 month & if so how did it go?
Did you find it helped with your routine?
I possibly need to speak to my community nurse before I make my final decision, however just willing to hear from other mums

wilfred

Re: Thinking about weaning at 6 months

Post by wilfred » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:08 pm

I think you should call the helpline, the counsellors are amazing.
Me: 38
DH: 38
DS1: 11.5 bf for 6 weeks
DD1: 8.5 bf for 13 weeks
DS2: 6.5 bf for 26 months
DD2: 4 bf for 3 yrs and 2 weeks

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:21 pm

have you contacted the helpline and spoken to a lovely breastfeeding counsellor about all your options?

The number is 1800 686 268 (1800 mum2mum).

For what it's worth, my daughter was formula fed and although the tin says to feed every 3 hours she barely did.....and we ended up wasting bottles of formula as we had to throw them out (the formula not the bottles)......

Good luck!
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm

I third calling the helpline

FWIW I returned to work fairly early with both my daughters (8 months and 5 months) and whilst I pumped for a while, part time bf was totally possible and workable for us. Both have bf evenings and days off, and then had EBM (or in DD1's case, some formula as well) at daycare. Even if bub was on formula at daycare, you could investigate bf when you're home if you would like to keep feeding. It doesn't have to be all or nothing if you don't want it to.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Mia2015

Post by Mia2015 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:26 am

When expressing, try feeding her and pump. User electric pump as you just hold them and pump whilst feeding your daughter. Im currently pumping at 4.30am to get 120ml and feed her during her sleeps on 1 boob (pump at 4.30am to the boob that hasnt been used). I would pump again at 7am producing 40ml of breastmilk.

Others use breastfeeding tablet, eat oatmeals to help produce breast-milk. Has she been introduced to the bottles yet? If not, i'd start slowly, my husband and everyone else feed her through a bottle and i only feed my daughter on my boob.

As for pumping goes, dont worry if your not pumping much during the 1st week or 2, it will build up gradually as you continue to pump at the same time. Hope that helps!