Comfort sucking naps and bedtime

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk

Comfort sucking naps and bedtime

Postby Jld260191 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:54 pm

Hi everyone my 5month old ds is getting worse fighting every nap to the point where today he went 4hours straight awake he refuses to sleep in his bassinet he will only sleep on me or my partner for naps and in bed through the night but waking every 1and a half to 2 hours through the night the only way he calms down is comfort sucking im exhausted he has just started solids i thought theh might of helped get him to sleep longer but no i think ots getting worse please help
Jld260191

Re: Comfort sucking naps and bedtime

Postby ClOuD_NiNe » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi there! That sounds exhausting. And very much like my DD at that age! There is a Wonder Week / sleep regression around 4 months and some mums find that it lasts a few weeks whereas others say their babies never quite go back to how they were sleeping before that. I definitely found that 4-6 months was difficult sleep-wise.

I co-slept with DD as it was the only way I could get some rest, she woke 2 hourly and I rolled over and stuck a boob in her mouth so she would go back to sleep. I half heartedly tried the "Pantley pull-off" method (from The No Cry Sleep Solution book) but never stuck with it long enough to see results, although I've heard of others having success. I basically just waited it out until deciding to night wean at 19 months.

As for day sleeps, DD either slept in a carrier on me (although from 4 months she would only sleep for 20 mins and then wake up and was too nosy to go back to sleep, so I tried to limit this to one nap a day so she didn't get overtired), or I would feed her to sleep on our bed and sneak away. The latter had its own downside, as she would wake within 10-20 mins so I'd go back in and feed to sleep again, repeat repeat until she'd had a decent sleep.

Unfortunately solids isn't a guarantee for better sleep. Some mums find it even makes sleep worse!

So what you describe is quite normal behaviour for that age, although frustrating and rough to deal with. Have you tried a baby carrier? Or laying down with him and then sneaking away once he's asleep? If it's any consolation things did start to improve after 6 months.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker
ClOuD_NiNe

Postby Jld260191 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi trying every carrier doesn't work and if ds does go 2 sleep feeding he either holds nipple in mouth or holds onto me so i cant get away at one stage i was walking him in the pram 4times a day for his naps ive got that down to one walk still waking up through the night some days better than others time wise. We are booked into parent support centre sleep centre for early feb any thoughts or experiences?
Jld260191

Postby ClOuD_NiNe » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:33 pm

I don't have any personal experience with sleep school. I've heard lots of different stories, from "it was great, they respected me and my baby's needs and we are much better off" to "it was awful, they pushed us to do cry it out which I was not comfortable with". I think it helps to go in with an open mind but don't be afraid to tell them what you are and aren't comfortable doing. Let us know how you go. I hope things improve in the meantime!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker
ClOuD_NiNe

Return to Introducing Solids & Weaning