On behalf of a friend

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding

On behalf of a friend

Postby Nicwwjd » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:19 pm

Hi ladies- I'm asking on behalf of a friend who has a 3 day old little boy.

She has a cracked nipple and it is bleeding and apparently bub is bringing up blood and yellow stuff after feeds. My friend has been told by a midwife that she might need to pump and dump and give bub formula.... She really doesn't want to!

Thoughts? Ideas?

Sorry it's so brief, in the middle of getting dinner on the table!!
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014
Nicwwjd

Re: On behalf of a friend

Postby Feebes » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:23 pm

Why can't she give the baby the milk that she is expressing instead of formula? Just a random thought that I had.

Has her attachment been checked, is she putting a bit of breast milk on after each feed, has the baby been checked for tongue tie, leaving the breasts out in the open to get a bit of air..

Just some random thoughts that I had....

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010
Feebes

Postby mooki » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:16 pm

congrats to your friend.
How would she feel about phoning helpline? Does she have access to an IBCLC through the hospital (assuming she birthed at hospital). It sounds like she needs some pretty immediate support.

It can be a bit tricky to offer specific suggestions without asking more questions but blood is generally OK, looks unsightly but ok if bub swallows it. Some baby led attachment might be really helpful in this situation. Does she know what the concern is for mum to be offering formula over breastmilk?
mooki
Site Admin

Postby Nicwwjd » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:03 pm

Thanks girls- they're all things I said to her before I posted here. I will encourage her to talk to a different midwife at shift change too (she us still in Hosp).

She said her attachment has been checked and looks fine... And I know from experience that attachment can look good but be downright painful!

I've got everything crossed that she can get through tonight ok!
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014
Nicwwjd

Postby Ronale » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:14 am

Are you able to visit your friend in hospital? Sometimes as new mums women can feel very disempowered, and if the midwife tells her it looks ok, then your friend may not feel like there is anything they can do, and that asking further is just wasting someone's time. Sometimes having a good friend visit when the midwife/doctor comes around to support can make a big difference to these women, and they can advocate more strongly for themselves and their baby as a result.
Talk to her about your experience, maybe talk with her dh or support person about breastfeeding and provide some links to the ABA website on attachment (I'd be tempted to sneak in tongue tie information too)
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI
Ronale
Counsellor

Postby Feebes » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:06 am

Ronale wrote:Are you able to visit your friend in hospital? Sometimes as new mums women can feel very disempowered, and if the midwife tells her it looks ok, then your friend may not feel like there is anything they can do, and that asking further is just wasting someone's time. Sometimes having a good friend visit when the midwife/doctor comes around to support can make a big difference to these women, and they can advocate more strongly for themselves and their baby as a result.
Talk to her about your experience, maybe talk with her dh or support person about breastfeeding and provide some links to the ABA website on attachment (I'd be tempted to sneak in tongue tie information too)

Totally agree with this.

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010
Feebes

Postby Nicwwjd » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Thanks Ronale and Feebes!

Just after I posted last night, her private MW/ LC showed up and helped her put a plan together (after I had suggested she give her a call). So she was expressing and finger/ syringe feeding expressed milk overnight. Phew!

This arvo she was able to feed from her sore side again and bub attached well and fed well and settled really quickly!! :)

So all is on track, hoping her milk kicks in really soon!

Thanks again!
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014
Nicwwjd

Postby Feebes » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:09 pm

Great update!

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010
Feebes

Postby Ronale » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:40 am

Awesome!
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI
Ronale
Counsellor

Postby annaya » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:41 pm

She said her attachment has been checked and looks fine... And I know from experience that attachment can look good but be downright painful!
annaya

Postby Nicwwjd » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:46 pm

Thanks girls!
She was able to keep feeding an depressing for a while but needed to give occasional formula top ups as lil bub was losing too much weight. Her nipples got even more cracked so her LC recommend expressing all feeds for a few days. She was gutted.

BUT.... Lil bub has nearly regained birth weight with her expressed feeds and only occasional formula, nipples greatly improved and bub now back on the breast with much less pain! She is overjoyed, as am I! What a rough trot she had!

Thanks all for your input! x
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014
Nicwwjd

Postby Feebes » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:50 pm

Nicwwjd wrote:Thanks girls!
She was able to keep feeding an depressing for a while but needed to give occasional formula top ups as lil bub was losing too much weight. Her nipples got even more cracked so her LC recommend expressing all feeds for a few days. She was gutted.

BUT.... Lil bub has nearly regained birth weight with her expressed feeds and only occasional formula, nipples greatly improved and bub now back on the breast with much less pain! She is overjoyed, as am I! What a rough trot she had!

Thanks all for your input! x

Golly, your friend has had a rough ride. Glad to hear that things are slowly improving for her.

For something that is so natural, its not the most plain sailing thing to do!

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010
Feebes

Postby Nicwwjd » Sat May 02, 2015 11:22 am

Oh my poor friend :(

Lil man cracked her nipples so badly (it looked soooooo painful). The right improved heaps. Lefty still sore, to the point where she had to express that side and give it to him in a bottle as she couldn't bear him attaching.

He's been checked for TT and lip tie and everyone says everything looks ok. But it doesn't feel ok at all. He's back past birth weight and has one formula top up per day (great achievement for Mum!). Annaya- yes i know too from experience that it can look good but feel terrible- what was your outcome?

My question is: at 3.5 weeks with ongoing pain and nipple damage, what might be going on?? Worth asking for further checks for TT, posterior TT etc? Attachment 'looks' good. She's at wits end and clearly worried and over the pain... As I would be too.
I've suggested she call the helpline for a good chat and ideas too.

I just want to help her so badly! And she has had to overcome low supply issues and doing well on that score, but to have to deal with a this pain too....

Thankyou ladies....
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014
Nicwwjd

Postby mooki » Sat May 02, 2015 11:49 am

she can always get another opinion and check for ties if shes not happy with the info she has got. There is a TT page on FB which has a list of preferred providers who have knowledge and skills at diagnosing and or treating TT. What HPs has she seen already? Is she working with an IBCLC?
mooki
Site Admin

Postby snowie » Sat May 02, 2015 6:57 pm

can highly recommend the Facebook pages. PM me if you want the links
Never forgetting our angel babies
Storking chiggins
snowie

Next

Return to Early Days