0 - 12 weeks - great starting place for Mums with a new baby

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding

Re: 0 - 12 weeks - great starting place for Mums with a new

Postby Jenbt85 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:23 am

Welcome :) Congratulations on your baby boy :)

Feeding shouldn't be painful, so attachment may be a problem. Do you have a local meeting that you could go along to before Tuesday? Have you tried calling the helpline? The helpline is just brilliant :)
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Postby MammaCarrie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:43 am

Hello :) I've emailed the local support group, just waiting to hear back. I was thinking about calling the helpline but I wondered if I'd be able to describe the problem well enough for them to help. Does it make sense how I've described it? All my breastfeeding support so far has come from midwives in hospital, our follow up home visits, and the lactation consultant in the hospital's breastfeeding unit so it's all been in person and I could show them!
MammaCarrie

Postby Yankee » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:06 pm

Hi and welcome! Calling the help line certainly can't hurt, and just might do the trick. But you're right, it is easier when you have someone there to work with. I had such a hard time seeing what was going on with my bubs when we had latching problems - visualising the angles whilst looking down at your boob is not easy! :oops:
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby Mummy woo! » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:18 pm

MammaCarrie wrote:Hello :) I've emailed the local support group, just waiting to hear back. I was thinking about calling the helpline but I wondered if I'd be able to describe the problem well enough for them to help. Does it make sense how I've described it? All my breastfeeding support so far has come from midwives in hospital, our follow up home visits, and the lactation consultant in the hospital's breastfeeding unit so it's all been in person and I could show them!

Ah, but when they train us to counsel on helpline they teach us magical powers of working out what might be happening by listening to the mum. You are the expert on your baby and if we listen to you we can usually come up with some ideas that will help.

It shouldn't hurt - the helpline would be a good first step. And if you get along to a local meeting there should be a counsellor there who can observe a feed and offer some face to face support.

And thanks to your mum for joining - we can't do any of this without the support of a strong membership base :-D
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby MammaCarrie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:03 pm

Thanks so much for the replies ladies. I've spoken with the hospital's BF unit and they have got me down if there are any cancellations before my appointment. They actually rang me earlier to say they could see me in half an hour but I'd just sat down to feed at home so couldn't make it! I might give the helpline a call and see what they say. I've already had the best info from them cos I was using washable breast pads and they were leaking straight through cos when my milk came in it was ridiculous amounts! I now use disposable which have the plastic type backing and don't leak, I just change them each feed :) will contact the helpline and let you know how we go!
MammaCarrie

Postby Jenbt85 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:28 pm

That's great news, hope you get into the bf clinic sooner :) Good luck with calling the helpline, they've always been brilliant when I've called :) Please keep us posted :)
DD - breastfeeding

Jenbt85

Postby MammaCarrie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:30 am

Well I didn't get a chance to call the helpline yesterday as we ended up getting lots of visitors in the afternoon. But he has been feeding better on that side. I definitely think its an attachment issue and I think maybe it's that he's not opening his mouth up wide enough for me to help him latch on correctly. Every so often he does a really big open mouth and that's when I get him on properly and it's not as painful, but it's rare for him to really open up wide and for me to catch it when he does! During one of his feeds overnight he wouldn't open his mouth up wide even on the left side (which is the side he prefers) so when he latched on it was sore. I think it's worse on the right side because its already sore and had that little blister/bleb thingy previously.
MammaCarrie

Postby Yankee » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:55 am

My bub was similar, her mouth wasn't large and I wasn't 'firm' enough with tickling her mouth wide open and popping her on. I wanted attachment to be this smooth baby-led thing, but it didn't work for my baby. We didn't get decent attachments until I learned to be more assertive about it (with the help of an LC).

I hope your appointment goes well. I'd encourage them to also check for a tongue tie and upper-lip tie, just in case (my bub didn't get her upper lip tie diagnosed until she was 5 months old! Not everyone knows what to look for).
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby Little Tiggermum » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:59 pm

Yankee wrote: I'd encourage them to also check for a tongue tie and upper-lip tie, just in case (my bub didn't get her upper lip tie diagnosed until she was 5 months old! Not everyone knows what to look for).

This ^... its coming out more and more how much tongue and lip ties can affect attachment and the pain of feeding. And the earlier the ties are addressed, the better for everyone involved. Good luck and hopefully another cancellation comes around asap
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com
Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Postby MammaCarrie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:45 pm

Thanks ladies will definitely ask them to check. We have our 2 week GP check up tomorrow, I might ask him to check too but if he says all good I'll still get the LC to check on Tuesday. He's been feeding better on that side today, less pain and more effective sucking which is feeling wonderful (sounds weird to say but it's true!)
MammaCarrie

Postby MammaCarrie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:49 am

Hi ladies

Well all ended up ok with our appointments a couple weeks ago, no tongue or upper lip tie. We kept working on attachment and ended up finding our groove, the pain subsided and we were doing really well. But a new issue has arisen that I'm after some advice for.

My right breast feels like its engorged at the start of every feed. If I forget which breast my bub finished on last time I usually feel my breasts to see which one feels fuller to decide which breast to start on this feed. My right one is feeling full and lumpy every feed and is letting down/spraying milk out before I even attach him! I've been having to hand express a little off in order to soften the areola enough for him to attach properly, like when my milk first came in. I'm also getting quite a lot of nipple pain again but as I said above, I worked on the attachment method and the pain had eased off (it ended up being a sucking blister caused by poor attachment). But now it's back regardless of his latch being better.

This has all happened over the past 2-3 days, bub is 4 weeks old. He often pulls off the right breast and has a cough/splutter of some milk, when it's a bit too much/fast for him. But he also gets really fussy on the left breast sometimes and pulls off repeatedly and I have to keep putting him back on, so I'm wondering if maybe that breast isn't producing enough/as much?

I'm going to ring ABA a little later on but just curious if anyone has an idea of what the cause could be?
MammaCarrie

Postby Jenbt85 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:31 pm

It took me a couple of months for my supply to balance out, it might just be early days? It's great to hear that everything else has worked out well for you :)

Have you tried leaning back when feeding on that side to slow the flow down? :)
DD - breastfeeding

Jenbt85

Postby mrsanna84 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:22 am

Hi, I am not sure whether this is the place for this topic but my 4 week old has turned majorly the last week or so. I have breastfed since birth and like most had a little trouble to start with and he favours one side. Latching on one has always been troublesome and he has even managed to 'cut' a part of my nipple which i slowly healing. I have tried the footy hold on that breast and the flow is too fast for him so I go back to the traditional hold.
His suck is strong but most times i can hear him take in a lot of air when he is feeding.

The last week he has been SCREAMING when he isn't feeding and seems to be in pain. He is showing all signs of colic/reflux/wind through the day however night times are fine. We feed every 3 hours and he settles well and goes back to sleep with little noises.

Its hard - I'm emotionally, physically, mentally exhausted and my heart breaks for him as i can't seem to soothe him unless i strap him to my chest and bounce on an exercise ball for hours till he falls asleep. Even through the day he isn't sleeping well like he use too. Its honestly like a switch has been flicked and the contented happy little boy i had is gone....

Has anyone gone through this and what has helped??? We are heading to the Dr today but I'm worried they will just say its "colic" and we just have to get through it etc etc...thats not the answer i want!

Thanks in advance x
mrsanna84

Previous

Return to Early Days