0 - 12 weeks - great starting place for Mums with a new baby

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding

Postby Bec&Zeb » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:35 pm

My little man is now 6 weeks I think we are going well with the Breast feeding!! I am a new mum and doing it solo, but we have been working everything out!! I am hoping to get along to an ABA meeting soon so I can meet other mums who are new breastfeeders too. I am loving breastfeeding all the trials and tribulations that go with it!!! I look forward to getting tips on this discussion board!![color=violet][/color]
Becs
Bec&Zeb

Postby Esther » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:53 pm

Welcome and congrats on your LO :-D
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Postby AbbeyCat » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Welcome Bec :smt039 Congratulations on the birth of your son.

I started going to ABA meetings when my DD was about 5 weeks old and haven't looked back. Hope you find a great local group. :D
AbbeyCat
Trainee

Postby Kate128 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:14 am

Hi all,

Just joined this forum this morning, having finally got around to looking around the ABA website.

My little girl is nearly 4 weeks old, she is our first baby.

Breastfeeding is still variable...I think she feeds well but sometimes the attachment isn't great as it is rather uncomfortable and the nipple is ridged at the end. I try reattaching her but usually it doesn't change. I still feel a bit confused about her to correctly get it so it doesn't hurt. It has happened, though, because when I can't feel anything I'm worried she's not actually feeding!!!....but all the other signs are there so I know she is. So, correct attachment HAS happened, but it seems to be just luck when it does. Also, sometimes she is on well at the start of a feed and then it starts getting uncomfortable towards the end of the feed.

I have also been browsing through the ABA this morning and I think I'm not feeding her enough. After all the advice I have got, I thought I should feed her every 4 hours, but now I think that's not enough. I have to wake her during the day for her feeds. But in the evening/night she won't settle/sleep much at all!! So am thinking I'll wake her up for 3 hour feeds and see how that goes??

She has been so grizzly the last week....I doubt myself all the time. Am going to see if I can get to an ABA class...meant to before the birth but ran out of time.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to meet and know other members here.

Thanks,
Kate
Kate128

Postby AbbeyCat » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:39 am

Welcome Kate :smt006

I know the new Mum self-doubt very well.

Sounds like you are doing a whole lot of stuff right. :-D

It'd be great to phone the Breastfeeding Helpline and chat with one of the Breastfeeding Counsellors. They are all Mums themselves, and very friendly and understanding. 1800 686 268
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/breastfeeding-helpline

If you aren't able to give them a call, they also do email counselling.
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/services/counselling

Local groups are a great place to meet other Mums and most meetings there are Breastfeeding Counsellors available to chat one-on-one with you. I go to 2 on the Brisbane southside, and they're great for getting out of the house, support and building confidence. Partners and other interested people are welcome to join you.
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/contacts/groups

Sorry, gotta run, as am late (again!). :oops:

Hope you stick around, there are some super lovely ladies around here. :-D
AbbeyCat
Trainee

Postby Esther » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Hello Kate :D

Glad you found us :-D

The brestfeeding education classes are more designed for pregnant mums. You're very welcome at your local group meeting, and there's usually a counsellor there that you can chat to as well about how things are going. Might even be one this week, depending on which side of the river you're on in Brissie (an important point on this forum :lol: )

The ridged nipple does suggest the attachment isn't working quite yet. Sounds like you and your DD (darling daughter) might not have enough breast in the mouth as well as nipple. It's perfectly OK once your DD is attached to gentle push some more breast into her mouth. Think of it like a eating a hamburger. You don't just nibble the edges politely, you squoosh it in your hands and get as much in your mouth as possible.

Good luck - ask any questions you like. No such thing as a silly question with parenting or breastfeeding.
Esther
Storked by nat*4
Esther

Postby Kate128 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks AbbeyCat and Esther for your welcome and replies and helpful info.

I have booked into see an LC on Thursday so with a bit of luck hopefully we'll have ourselves sorted out soon! I got it right this morning on the sore side, Hurrah! but it would be nice to have it consistently comfy.

I have asked about a mum's group too so might get in touch with other new mums before long.

Probably I"ve missed it but how old are your babies?

Hope everyone is having a good day today :)
Kate128

Postby Esther » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Kate128 wrote:Probably I"ve missed it but how old are your babies?

Our baby's tickers are at the bottom of our responses. DD2 (darling daughter 2) is nearly 7 months. Eek.

Yay on the sore side behaving better. Hope the LC goes well and you're soon feeling even more confident :-D

Alas, can't spend too much more time here, DD2 has discovered the nice flashing on/off switch for the computer tower. Time for a change of venue, methinks !@!@!dog

Oh and :smt039 :wink:
Esther
Storked by nat*4
Esther

Postby EllieS » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:47 pm

Hi everyone - first time mum, first time poster, long time reader (well, six weeks!).

I'm a FTM to a 6 week old boy child who I am exclusively breastfeeding (when I say exclusively bf, I mean it feels like that is all I do exclusively, all day every day haha). All fairly normal from what I've read on here (right?).

He's a funny, hungry little thing who is certainly on track with his growing and smiling and such. We have our arsenic hour(s) every night on cue, and I am looking forward to having a bit more independence once the feeding sessions become a bit less demanding of my time and energy but we've been very lucky with our feeding journey thus far, with minimal attachment or supply issues - actually a bit of oversupply and possible FM/HM imbalance which I successfully resolved with a couple of days of block feeding.

That and the poor little mite has oral thrush which has since passed on to me...hopefully it will clear up soon through my hyper-vigilance (washing / airing / trying to avoid cross-contamination)....although the treatment makes no sense to me - oral drops containing sugar seems counter-productive, since thrush loves sweet environments I thought...??

Anyway, nice to meet you all and I look forward to participating on this forum and my ABA local group too once they start up again after festive season / school holiday break :)

Eloise
EllieS

Postby Esther » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi Eloise and welcome to you and your DS :-D

Is your HP sure you have thrush and not staph? They can do a swab to be sure. If things aren't improving for you with the nipple pain, it could be worth asking.

Oh yes, your little boy sounds wonderful and perfectly normal to me :)

Good luck
Esther
Storked by nat*4
Esther

Postby EllieS » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks for your response Esther! Esther was one of my 'girl names' - love it <3

I'll definitely ask the GP about staph, thanks for the suggestion....it feels like my nipple pain is getting worse despite being completely anal about washing them after each feed, keeping them dry, using the gel, walking around the house with nary a thread covering the girls haha! DS's mouth doesn't seem to be improving either, which is a shame as I hate pumping him full of medication that contains sugar :(
EllieS

Re: 0 - 12 weeks - great starting place for Mums with a new

Postby theresateraoi » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:04 pm

hi well im joining this group proud mother of a nearly 4 wk old.
and im sure ill have lots of questions. :-D
theresateraoi

Postby Yankee » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:58 pm

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to hearing how you're going! :smt006
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby chiggins » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:28 pm

:smt006 and welcome!!
Congratulations on your little one! Hope you enjoy using this forum like I have.
I have had a lot of help myself and we have a good time too! Feel free to post questions and experiences you have!
:mrgreen:
DD - Nov 2013
DS1 - Apr 2015
DS2 - Jun 2016 (BFing like a champ!)
chiggins

Postby MammaCarrie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:14 am

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum, and to the ABA, my mum has just gifted me a 2 year membership :) I am a new mum to an 11 day old baby boy. We have established breastfeeding well, but he favours my left breast. We've had a few issues with the right - the midwives thought I had a bleb but nothing has been done about it. My nipple is sore every feed and at times even the left one is sore. I'm not sure if he's attaching correctly on the right side. He stays on and drains the breast well, but it hurts! The hospital where I had him had a breastfeeding unit where you can go see a lactation consultant but the soonest appt available is on Tuesday so I'm not sure what we'll do until then! Will be giving them another call today to see if there's any way we can be seen sooner.

I've noticed when he sucks (without anything in his mouth) that he makes this noise that sounds like he's grinding his gums together? And I imagine the pain I'm feeling would make sense if he did that while on the breast. The pain I felt up until now was more like a general soreness but feeding wasnt too bad. Now it really does feel like he's not attached correctly but I can't figure out how to change it?
MammaCarrie

PreviousNext

Return to Early Days