0 - 12 weeks - great starting place for Mums with a new baby

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding

Postby Monicat » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:23 pm

I'm still here! I think this was an easy day though as I had my dad, my MIL and FIL, my SIL and one of the lovely girls from ABA here this afternoon, so there were plenty of hands for the babies. We will see how we go tomorrow with no reprieve or extras set of hands to hold a crying baby.
Monicat

Postby Squip » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:57 am

Good luck Monicat thinking of you today
Squippy
Squip

Postby Monicat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Still here, four children still alive, minimal yelling, so I'm doing ok :lol: Babies are feeding a lot at night but I still feel ok during the day, I'm not doing much and am trying to rest when I can.
Monicat

Postby ames » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:12 am

Glad to hear your doing well monicat.

DD3 is 9 wks now :shock: It's gone so quickly. She's doing really well, feeding properly and gaining weight which none of my other three did. Glad to have an easier one this time.

We did have a bad night last night, I have no idea how many times she feed as we bed share and I just keep swapping sides. I think she may be getting DD2's cold :-( she's a bit snuffly and sounds a bit like a pig snorting. I think I'm coming down with it too. At least the bm will be helping her get better.
DD1 2005, DS 2007, DD2 2009, DD3 2011
Storked Ezekielsmummy's angel ~ Matthew Obadiah. Now Elisha Samuel has arrived!
ames

Postby Miss S » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:45 pm

I'm also glad to hear you are doing well Monicat. I hope every day gets better and better for you with experience in juggling so many!

I'm slowly trying to figure it all out myself. DD has been really good except for a few little things but I don't think they relate to DS being here, they must've been bad habits she picked up while DH looked after her while I was in hospital :? Thanks DH :evil:

Tandem feeding is going really well and I'm not as scared to feed DD because my sensitive nipples are adjusting pretty darn quickly. I loved using the tandem feeding thing to frighten MIL in making a quick exit when she 'dropped in' the other day - I'm really not in the mood to entertain her and she doesn't realise that. My little sneaky tool !!@@tandem feeding

This little guy is doing so well 2.5 weeks old, is above birth weight and almost 4kgs already. So not used to having a 'big' baby when DD was so little for so long. Although I do need to get used to him needing little sleep and not stressing. But I guess that's a baby thing anyway, always fighting the sleep - even with boobie alllllllll afternoon and evening.

One thing I love about feeding all the time and feeding to sleep - he burps himself most of the time - even while having a feed. How darn clever is he! Why are we always told to feed one side, get two burps then the other and repeat... what a waste of time and energy from mum and bubs.
Miss S

Postby leanned76 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:56 pm

Hello,

DD is 9 days old she is just gorgeous but its good to be back and read the advice and stories posted on the forum. First bad night with DD tonight and i let myself get so worked up that she was never going to go to sleep. Then i remembered about this forum read a few pages and feel normal again.

Big hugs to you all
Leanne
Image Image
leanned76

Postby Elliemaysmama » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi All Dd is nearly 3 weeks old and the cluster feeds have started! She was great, sleeping for 2 hours after each feed but now it's gone the opposite direction and I'm lucky to get 40 mins from her before she is screaming for food again. Night time is still good though with last feed about 10 and then she'll normally sleep for 3-4 hours so I'm really only doing one night feed before 6 am hits and then I have to get up anyway with my 3 year old! But wow is it tiring! You forget so quickly how bad the tiredness can be with a newborn especially if you are doing all the feeding yourself and hubby is snoring away beside you . Anyway will keep going as I know it does get easier and those black marks under my eyes will eventually go and my flabby belly will eventually go down even more!!
Elliemaysmama

Bad Breast pad experience

Postby PetalsAngel » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:18 pm

hi i bf my first baby 2yrs 3mths and am currently bf baby#2 2.5weeks old. i never needed the box of brandname breast pads for #1 but found i used the whole box after 1.5wks for #2! my local chemist didnt have brandname only PIGEON unfortunately in hindsite. As i had an allergic reaction to PIGEON and it really interferred with the enjoyment of breastfeeding with the pain! :cry: So i strongly DONT RECOMMEND PIGEON breast pads especially if you have sensitive skin. I was using Lansinoh lanolin cream which helped but switched to the hydrogel pads which have been good so far but is there anything else i can put on my nipples to help them heal anyone recommends?
Cheers :-)
PetalsAngel
PetalsAngel

Postby 3 Little Woody's » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:16 pm

You could try the nipple guards Mother's Direct sell - these sit more like a protective barrier between your nipples and bras, so your nipples get some air.
Also maybe squirt a bit of milk on your finger after a feed and rub it into the nipple, it dries quickly and is very soothing.

(you might need to edit out the P brand, we don't use a lot of brand names here :wink: )

Congratulations on your baby as well, and welcome to the forum :D
3 Little Woody's

Postby Allele » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:37 pm

Im new to ABA forum and so grateful for the information i have been reading over the past day. Its reassuring to see im not the only one who is suffering these early day problems!
Whoever said BF is not painful can come and have my breatss for a day!
Allele

Postby Esther » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:45 pm

Hi Allele,

Hope you get your breast pain sorted out soon and you're feeding pain free very soon.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Postby 3 Little Woody's » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:00 am

:smt006
DS2 had his 2nd night on the outside and I'm going to call it... We survived :)
Neither of us got much sleep, but he is now sound asleep in his crib, wrapped in warm blankets supplied by an overworked midwife who knew I'd been up since 11:30pm with him.
Our 'room mate' and her DD are also on night 2, so it's good both babies are crying on and off on the same night, they've also woken each other up numerous times :lol:

Ahhhh hospital stays...
3 Little Woody's

Postby 3 Little Woody's » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:51 pm

6 weeks gone already! I can't believe it!!
We're going really well, DS2 feeds every 1.5-2.5 hours day and night. He struggles a bit with the flow and gets quiet windy and sometimes throws up, so I don't think he has big feeds. Don't know? The older 2 are used to him now, I've caught DS1 picking him up once, think my heart skipped several beats! He looks after him though, puts his dummy in, kisses him all the time and he gets a morning cuddle/nurse every morning, just like he did with DD.
DD doesnt pay him much attention, she hangs around while I feed him, watching him carefully!

How are all the other winter babies?
3 Little Woody's

Postby jessiemay » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:09 am

:smt006 My little miss is 10 weeks tomorrow and I have survived. Dd started sleeping better at 8 weeks. She is feeding like a trooper. Still a little colicky but better. Feeds every 3 hours through the night. Havent timed the feeds through the day. She keeps upping the supply and sleeping the next day.

Ds1 loves his sister. She was happy laying on the floor. I ducked off to have a shower and told R if she got upset come get me. 5 minute shower was all I was comfy able with. Got out heard dd starting to get upset. Got dressed and went to see to her only to find her big brother cuddling her on the floor patting her back. I couldn't tell him off he didn't really pick her up, he just sat her up. I did panic but tried not upset him cause he has watch me struggle with her and really worry.
You would think after 2 boys I should know what I'm doing. But dd is so different.

My bit of a whinge.

How is everyone else going?
DS1 BF for 9 months
DS2 BF for 19 months
DD1 BF for 19 months
Storked by DrJeckle&Hyde & Esther
ImageImage
jessiemay

Postby katw » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:22 am

I'm going really well, DS is 5 weeks yesterday. He's started skipping feeds this week, but I really wish he wouldn't! It hurts! That's my whinge. He's had good weight gains, so I'm not worried about him.

My big girls all run the minute he squeaks to comfort him, fortunately they haven't tried to pick him up yet. All the kids at school and childcare love him, too - but there are a few too many "rosy" cheeks amongst the childcare crew yesterday...they're all teething aren't they? :lol:

My biggest excitement was going shopping this week for shirts...3yo and baby in tow. How do you try on a shirt while wearing a baby? I also ordered a woven wrap, I can't wait to get that!

Gotta go, everyone's yelling about someone stepping on someone's toes or not :roll:
katw

PreviousNext

Return to Early Days