For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding

0 - 12 weeks - great starting place for Mums with a new baby

Postby 3 Little Woody's » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:54 pm

~~For all Mums with newborns - 12 week old babies~~
After the birth
Feeding
Sleeping
Coping with 'life'

All those things that happen in the first three months!

Hope that this thread helps a few of us out!
I'll be back in a few months :)
3 Little Woody's

Postby Jess64 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:34 pm

I"m first to post :-D
My DD2 is now nearly 5 weeks old. Things are generally going OK. Attachment is not great, but not terrible.
Sally
Jess64

Postby TheSlayer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:13 pm

Oh man this thread is JUST too late for me! He's 13 weeks on Tues!

The last 12 weeks were so full on, I honestly don't know how we got through sometimes.

But we did & you WILL, promise. 10 weeks ago I had no idea how I'd get to my first goal of exclusive bfing for 6 weeks; then I didn't know how we'd possibly get to three months - and we hit that milestone on Wednesday. Suddenly six months doesn't seem so impossible!

And if you feel like there is not one person you can talk to about the bad days, the stress, the good stuff (hey I actually got a shower today!), you can ALWAYS talk about it here. Nothing is too scary, too trivial, too silly to talk about.

This thread is such an awesome idea! Now can I have a 3-6 month one??? :lol:
Proud storker for Katsbi's and PrincessSpud's youngest princesses!
TheSlayer
Trainee

Postby 3 Little Woody's » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:13 pm

I reckon there'll be plenty to join you soon Jess - have you seen the waiting room that is 3rd trimester?!!
3 Little Woody's

Postby MaksMommy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:23 pm

*waves* DD2 is 11days old... we are having many many feeding and sleeping issues.... I'll be in here often ;)

THeSlayer, feel free to stick around and offer advice ;)
MaksMommy

Postby LiamsMamma » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:20 pm

:smt006 My boy will be 3 weeks tomorrow, wow, time sure does fly! At the moment he is feeding well, tomorrow is our first day at uni since I had him, a full day 9 - 5, should be interesting. Luckily I have some nice big breaks so I can find a comfy place to feed him, not looking forward to feeding in a lecture theater seat.

Kylie
Kylie
LiamsMamma

Postby Feebes » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:53 am

LiamsMamma wrote: not looking forward to feeding in a lecture theater seat.

Kylie

oh no, that sounds rather squishy!

TS, we have just missed out too. DD2 will be 14 weeks on Tuesday, although she is 8 weeks corrected though :lol:

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010
Feebes

Postby Jess64 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:39 pm

Woody's Mum wrote:I reckon there'll be plenty to join you soon Jess - have you seen the waiting room that is 3rd trimester?!!

Yep, it is funny to watch.
I'm thinking about calling a lactation consultant. DD really doesn't seem to be creating a seal or a vacuum. She drains the breast well and quickly, but my left nipple constantly feels bruised and sore. But thankfully no cracking. :shock:
Does anyone know how to check if there is a tongue tie. I know she had one, the nurses said it had broken, but I'm not so sure.
Sally
Jess64

Postby banjoclutz » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:23 pm

Well I've still got another couple of weeks here yet :-D ... we just put Elijah grumpy pants a nice warm bath in the tummy tub to try and stop his grumping and woot, woot it worked and he is asleep now! and it's only just past 11pm hehe. Off to bed for me now too. :smt015
Very excited to be storking keeko!

banjoclutz

Postby MaksMommy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:35 am

I'm thinking about calling a lactation consultant. DD really doesn't seem to be creating a seal or a vacuum. She drains the breast well and quickly, but my left nipple constantly feels bruised and sore. But thankfully no cracking. Shocked

same here :shock: I have to express lefty (she bruised it to black and blue and now its got thrush :roll:) and i give her one bottle ebm before bed and freeze the rest, and she doesnt even get a seal around the bottle... I hear the noises and think.. wow! thats why my nipples are so damaged! I've tried baby led attachment, guiding her, pulling her chin down when she finally does latch, still shes not "getting" it :lol: ah well, shes not quite 2wks old right? ;)

banjo, a bath calms Freya (mach2 :lol:) down as well. Getting her out however, you may as well have not tried to calm her down :lol: shed sleep in there if I'd let her.

Speaking of sleep... As a newborn Makky would sleep wherever, whenever. So tired shed fall asleep on the floor, couch, bed, basinette, etc. Freya will only sleep in my arms or in the hugabub/ergo (even at night... I sleep with her in my arms :roll:) is this "normal" in a newborn? :lol:
MaksMommy

Postby emjy82 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:05 am

Hiya
Another one to join this group
My DS is 6 wks old 2moro and we are still surviving our bf journey :)
Lookimg forward to muddling thru this time with all of you :)
Emjy
emjy82

Postby banjoclutz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:05 am

MaksMommy wrote:
banjo, a bath calms Freya (mach2 :lol:) down as well. Getting her out however, you may as well have not tried to calm her down :lol: shed sleep in there if I'd let her.

yeah this is often the trouble with Elijah too! The tub we have is meant to replicate the womb and the first time my cousin saw Elijah in it she was like ahhh, it's just like you're back in your mummy's tummy... then we pulled him out and he screamed and screamed and my cousin was like oh no, poor boy!!! now it's just like being re-born! made me laugh and laugh. So now we joke that Eli is being re-born everytime we pull him out of the bath.

MaksMommy wrote: Speaking of sleep... As a newborn Makky would sleep wherever, whenever. So tired shed fall asleep on the floor, couch, bed, basinette, etc. Freya will only sleep in my arms or in the hugabub/ergo (even at night... I sleep with her in my arms :roll:) is this "normal" in a newborn? :lol:

As a little bub my Freya would pretty much sleep anywhere too (didn't last long) but she didn't transfer well from being held - if I could get past that hurdle it was all good and even if she did wake she was such an easygoing baby that it didn't seem like such a big deal to try transferring her... Elijah is similar in sleep but also has his sister to contend with in terms of staying asleep and he's not nearly so easygoing so I tend to not risk it and just hold him.
Very excited to be storking keeko!

banjoclutz

Postby katicoo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:51 pm

Maksmommy - My DS would only sleep in his sling during the days but would sleep in his basinett overnight. (I have a post in Early Days about it)

He is now nearly 16 weeks and after alittle bit of effort and encouragement is now sleeping in his cot for majority of sleeps. The best advice given to me is to do what works for you and let her tell you what he needs.

Love the 12week thread - awesome idea!
Kate
katicoo

Postby MaksMommy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:29 pm

For the first time, I'm actually looking forward to the ehcn appt on Monday. I'm wondering if maybe DD2 has a tongue tie (I cant tell - but I have one!) and if that is why feeding is so shockingly hard and painful! Guess it doesnt help that now I've got thrush too (and by the looks of it, so does she :( ) boo.

Also starting no dairy on Monday to see if that can help with her wind issues. I really hope its not dairy... :shock: I may not survive without it :lol:
MaksMommy

Postby MilkbarMumma » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:26 pm

:smt039 Hi!! New to ABA (subscribed today) and new to the board...

I'm typing as I sit here feeding my 5 week old DD :smt054 our first baby.. So far our brestfeeding journey has been pretty smooth sailing I waited for and was dreading the cracked / sore nipples which I never actually got.. I waited for the exploding painful boobs when your milk comes in that everyone warned me about and never got that either... Sure, they got big and hard..

I was almost turned off breastfeeding before I started!! But I gave it a go and i love it!! I wouldnt change a thing!!

I got mastitis last week but within 12 hours it was getting better and DD has reflux but her paed has put her on zantac which seems to be helping..

She is getting a little windy in the past week.. I am not sure if it is something I am eating (I am eating very plain) I do have milk in my tea and cereal of morning but I am using the A2 milk wondering if it could be dairy??

How is everyone going with the cluster feeding days?? I love them! Gives me an excuse to sit on the lounge all day and cuddle my DD @!##!

Time to burp, will check in later X.
MilkbarMumma

Next

Return to Early Days