Mastitis

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding

Mastitis

Postby The A Team » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:55 pm

So I have a 3 week old little girl who exclusively BF which I am finding difficult. I have had a cracked nipple from the get go and still struggling to get a good latch on my left boob. Yesterday I came down with mastitis and my breast is all hard and lumpy which I am assuming is clogged ducts. I am feeding off this breast first and massaging often. I was seen by a dr to your door yesterday who prescribed me Ibilex. So basically I have 2 questions. How can I get rid of these clogged ducts and how long should it take for the antibiotics to work and me start feeling better? It's been a little over 24 hours now and I still feel shivery and feverish.Not to mention the reallly sore boob.

any help or advise is appreciated. Thanks.
The A Team

Re: Mastitis

Postby Jenbt85 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:21 am

Congratulations on your baby and welcome to the forum!

Mastitis is really tough, it sounds like it's been a difficult few weeks.

Here's a link to how to relieve the blocked ducts: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... n-concerns–mum/blocked-ducts

I haven't had mastitis, so I'm unsure how long antibiotics will take to work. Do you have support so that you can rest where possible?

In terms of the latch, do you have a lactation consultant (or a local ABA meeting you can get to) that could help you with that?

Hope you're on the mend soon :)
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Return to Early Days