Lazy new born baby blues! Will not feed!

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding
Laura

Lazy new born baby blues! Will not feed!

Post by Laura » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Hello there :smt006
My baby was born by caesarian section three days ago. I am still in hospital, scheduled to depart on Tuesday. It's been very hot in WA this past few days and the hospital is rather warm. My Mum told me to unwrap him and take him out of the grow suit and put him in a vest (and nappy). I too, according to Mum was a very slow and lazy feeder - I was born when it was very hot and she found by unwrapping me I would be more alert.

My new baby is healthy - 8lb 7 oz, but is very, very sleepy. He sucks his hand strongly so the sucking reflex is present, however, he will not feed.
They are pumping the colostrum out and we are feeding it to him through a syringe. I have had in the past three days five different nurses give me five different reasons why he is not feeding.I realise my milk is not in yet but with the breast pump being used, I am sure that it will come in soon. Reasons I have been given by the nurses for him not sucking range from your breasts are too large to he is just lazy. I want very much to breastfeed but this is doing my head in. Can anyone offer some rational, seasoned advice? Thank you.

Esther

Re: Lazy new born baby blues! Will not feed!

Post by Esther » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Call the helpline 1800686268. Lots of skin to skin. Demand to see a lactation consultant. All things that I've done in a similar situation with sleepy DS in newborn days.

Goid luck! Keep us posted. We may not be there in person, but we make a great cheer squad :-D
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi Laura

Congrats on your little man. Just a quick thought that there might be lots of different ideas why he isn't feeding because it is hard to know sometimes! Good news is that it doesn't really matter - the advice/solution tends to be pretty similar - skin to skin contact as much as possible, your mum's advice to strip him off is also sound. Pumping and syringe feeding will bring in your milk while you wait for bubs to 'wake up'. So you are already doing lots of good things to help you and bubs meet your goal to breastfeed. I second Esther's suggestion to call the helpline for a chat. I think it isn't too busy this afternoon (I get bonus calls on Sunday afternoon when the helpline is really busy, and I haven't had a request yet).

There is also plenty of good info on the website - this article might help https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo ... baby-feeds
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:25 pm

Babies aren't "lazy", if they're not sucking there is a reason (and there are lots of possible reasons). They can be affected by drugs during labour (I believe my first baby was affected by the epidural I had, he was sleepy for the first 12 weeks!), and Caesarian babies can sometimes need a bit more time and help to get feeding sorted. There might be an anatomical reason like tongue tie. A call to the helpline is a great start, a counsellor can go through things with you in detail. It sounds like you're onto it with the skin to skin and pumping. Does the hospital have a LC?
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Laura

Post by Laura » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:49 am

Thank you, thank you one and all, I so appreciated your comments and kind advice. :smt007
I did as you suggested and now have a lactation consultant who is working with me. We are making progress!! I cannot believe how wonderful she is, so sweet, gentle and supportive.
Please accept my thanks for your time and energy.
I will come back from time to time once I am home.

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:44 pm

How lovely, congratulations.

I hope that you get some good support and suggestions from the lactation consultant.

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:38 pm

That's wonderful news! Let us know how you go.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Esther

Post by Esther » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Great to hear your update! We're here whenever you need a listening ear :-)
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Alexa1994

Post by Alexa1994 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:09 pm

Congratulations for your new member of the family, I hope every went fine and if you find any difficulty you can message her. Yes please share picture of him also :)