Thinking of expressing for my newborn... time consuming

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding

Thinking of expressing for my newborn... time consuming

Postby AshleePaige » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi ladies,

I have just given birth to my second child a week ago and I am currently breastfeeding.
I have a 1.5 year old, who i breastfed, EBM and a nightly formula bottle up until she was 4 months. Needless to say.. she was not fussy on how she got her milk.

Fast forward to now. I have a 1.5 year old who is still needing mums (or dad) help, and doesn't necessarily understand that I can't get up at the drop of a hat whilst feeding.
In addition to that, #2 is taking approx an hour to feed once I wake her up if she falls asleep, burp, change balky, start feeding again, burp and then settle. When there is another little human wanting your attention.. it's tough.

I want to still give #2 as much of a start on my breastmilk as I can.. but I'm needing some advice/direction/encouragement ... because at this point in time.. my nipples are THAT SORE, then add in the above reasons, is finding it hard to keep going.

I am thinking of trying to express exclusively for as long as I can... after which I may have to mix feed.

I am trying to do the right thing by Bubs, my first born & just as important.. my own sanity.

Thank you all in advance x
AshleePaige

Re: Thinking of expressing for my newborn... time consuming

Postby JennyD » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:23 pm

Hugs Ashlee
Sounds like you are having a hard time. A couple of things to think about, one is that breastfeeding does get faster and better with time. Bub number 2 is only a week old and is still learning to feed, in a few weeks bub will hopefully not be spending anywhere near so long at the breast. On the other hand expressing will at least be giving #2 your milk, and some mums do find that they can express exclusively for a while and then get back to directly feeding. Also exclusive expressing is very time consuming and actually less mobile than breastfeeding. Most mums find that they can actually get up while breastfeeding and walk around the house, so help #1, whereas pumps tend to be a lot less flexible and you might find yourself stuck in one place while expressing even more than while feeding. You'll find lots of information about exclusive expressing here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12229 and here: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo ... expressing

The important thing is that it can be done, but it is hard work. You end up with the worst of both worlds, also double handling as you feed the pump then the baby. That said, only you know what you can handle and what will work for you.

good luck
JennyD
Counsellor

Return to Early Days