Constant feeding

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding
Sophiemcm

Constant feeding

Post by Sophiemcm » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:11 pm

My baby is 3 weeks and 1 day old. For the last few days she has fed constantly for hours and hours on end. She isn't sleeping for more than an hour or 2 at a time and can be quite unsettled/difficult to get to sleep. She is exclusively breastfeed but I'm becoming so exhausted that I'm thinking of introducing formula in the hope it will fill her up or my husband can feed her. She is gaining weight and is 700gm past her birth weight so I don't think supply is an issue. I know she comfort sucks so thinking of introducing a dummie but would prefer not to. Any tips/ideas/advice or general words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated so this mama can get some rest

Esther

Re: Constant feeding

Post by Esther » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:54 pm

Hugs. Parenting is hard work...sounds like you're doing a fabulous job there though!

3 weeks was a time where all mine seemed to wake up - feeding more, awake for longer. It was a horrible shock each time! There's lots changing for them and their brains at this time, so it can be a very confusing time for them and you!

Can I suggest you call the helpline for some ideas? There's counsellors rostered on 24/7 - you can go through what's happening and work out a plan together.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Jenbt85

Re: Constant feeding

Post by Jenbt85 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:24 pm

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the birth of your daughter :)

I second Esther's suggestion of the helpline to get tailored advice. The counsellors are really helpful :)

Those early days are so tough. In hindsight, they pass quickly but at the time they can be a grind. My advice would be to outsource as much as you can around the house - can family or friends come and help/have a cuddle with bub while you sleep?

Another thing I did was had a day in bed - I took snacks, drinks, nappies etc and fed lying down. If I couldn't sleep and bub drifted off then I'd read a book. If I was drowsy, I dropped off next to bub (following all the safe cosleeping guidelines).

You're doing a great job :)
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu