Poo... Illness... worried

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding

Poo... Illness... worried

Postby ClOuD_NiNe » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:57 am

Lack of poo... DD2 was born on Wed morning, having regular wees and poos until Fri evening. My milk came in Fri night. She has had wet nappies since then but no dirty ones. She feeds roughly 3 hourly, has a tongue tie being revised next week so I'm keeping an eye on milk transfer (sounds ok, she's certainly swallowing lots and breasts are noticeably softer after a feed) and nappy output (this mornings nappy was heavily wet).

There's one other thing which could be affecting things. DS and DD have a cold and DD2 has caught it :( I can't believe my 4 day old baby is sick with a cold already! She seems ok, some yucky green snot and snuffles. Breastmilk up the nose is working to clear it so she can feed. Could illness in some way delay a bowel movement?? I have no idea. Or maybe she just hasn't been taking in as much as I thought over the past 36 hours due to her feeling crappy.

I'm trying to get more milk into her anyway, just woke her at the 2 hourly mark instead of letting her go 3 hours as she had been doing, and she only took one side and passed out! Will change nappy and try again.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker
ClOuD_NiNe

Re: Poo... Illness... worried

Postby Mummy woo! » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:27 am

Hey cloud nine

No poos at this age is a red flag. It is good that there are wees and you can observe milk transfer. You should be seeing one wet nappy per day of life at this age - so five wet nappies in the current 24 hours. You didn't say how many wees. Are they pale or dark, smelly?

Bubs could be brewing up a monster poo for you - have you tried leg bicycling or holding her in an EC position? If you do the EC in front of a mirror you can see what is happening - blerch but tells you if you should just wait a little longer for the poop iykwim?

How long is it until the tt appointment? If you are concerned You could call the place you gave birth or your GP for advice today if you have a couple of days to wait before you see someone about the tie.

There are other ways of getting breastmilk into a baby if bubs isn't transferring milk well herself. Waking sooner for feeds can't hurt. You could also try ebm in a cup, syringe or bottle.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby ClOuD_NiNe » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:36 pm

Thanks MW! Big poonami a couple of hours after posting thank goodness! She filled 2 nappies and a little bit more. I just couldn't work it out, milk transfer and feeding patterns hadn't changed and she was pooing heaps in the first 3 days. Plenty of wees, the required amount each day, and they were pale and odourless. It just didn't make sense that she hadn't poo'd. For whatever reason she was saving it up. She's doing another big one as I write this!

Tongue tie revision is booked for Wed but I'm hoping we get a cancellation spot earlier.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker
ClOuD_NiNe

Postby Mummy woo! » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:14 pm

ClOuD_NiNe wrote:Thanks MW! Big poonami a couple of hours after posting thank goodness! She filled 2 nappies and a little bit more. I just couldn't work it out, milk transfer and feeding patterns hadn't changed and she was pooing heaps in the first 3 days. Plenty of wees, the required amount each day, and they were pale and odourless. It just didn't make sense that she hadn't poo'd. For whatever reason she was saving it up. She's doing another big one as I write this!

Tongue tie revision is booked for Wed but I'm hoping we get a cancellation spot earlier.

I'm 'glad' to hear the poo has appeared! Fingers crossed for that cancellation spot for you.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Return to Early Days