Fast letdown

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding
chiggins

Fast letdown

Post by chiggins » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Is there a way to slow down the letdown? My letdowns cause my lo to choke/gag and unlatch every time. Then there is a fountain flowing that can't be turned off, creating a mess and wasting precious breastmilk. DS can't latch back on until the flow stops and I dry the nipple a bit... Help!
DD - Nov 2013
DS1 - Apr 2015
DS2 - Jun 2016 (BFing like a champ!)

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Re: Fast letdown

Post by AussieBritLu » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:20 pm

What have you tried so far chiggins? Have you tried laying down and feeding? Being at a slight angle to take the pressure off gravity?
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:18 pm

Some mums do find laying back is helpful as Lu suggests.

Some mums find it helps to just hand express the first let down and then bring baby to the breast - it sometimes makes the flow a bit more manageable for baby. Nappies or handtowels to catch the flow, or you could use a clean cup or bowl if you want to save and store the milk for later.

You know that expressing extra milk gives your body the signal that more is needed, but when baby is struggling with the flow some mums decide it is worth it - you can 'wean' off the expressing when you don't need it any more. Try not to worry about the 'wasted' milk - if it is more than bubs needs you could say it isn't really wasted.

Time is the biggest cure for this though - your flow settles and/or baby gets a bit bigger and more coordinated to handle the fast flow.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

chiggins

Post by chiggins » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:12 pm

Thanks for your replies. I've tried feeding whilst leaning back on my bed...doesn't really do much. I just get bathed in milk!
I already need to hand express a bit from my breast before he latches because the areole is too firm for him to latch on properly.
Last night and this morning, I expressed (and stored for later use) about 45 minutes before his usual feed and it worked! He got a letdown and managed to stay latched. I've never had an over-supply problem like this before...
Thank you for your help, ladies. :D
DD - Nov 2013
DS1 - Apr 2015
DS2 - Jun 2016 (BFing like a champ!)