2weeks and refuses to sleep

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding
krogers

2weeks and refuses to sleep

Post by krogers » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:36 pm

Hello all, I'm desperate for some advice. My beautiful boy is 2 weeks old today, and has decided he will not sleep for more than 5 minutes in his bassinet. He's been awake since about 930am and its now 530pm. He has constantly wanted to feed today- to the point I'm not even sure there's anything left. Mostly he was been chilled and happy to just be awake, but has increasingly gotten more agitated. I've finally relented and put him in the sling and he's sleeping albeit lightly. any tips suggestions advice or anything would be greatly appreciated.

Nedsmum

Re: 2weeks and refuses to sleep

Post by Nedsmum » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:09 pm

I would say that it's absolutely normal for such a small baby to not want to be anywhere but in your arms, although it is tiring...and you'll get very little else done...
Also, something I had to learn as a mum was to dress my kids slightly warmer. the 'rule of thumb' is just one layer more than you are wearing...if they weather has turned cooler, then he might be a little cold and cold babies tend not to sleep, or crave your body heat so want to be held... If he's overtired/overstimulated then I would suggest something I call 'indulging' the sleep-need - which means, you might need to let him sleep however works for a few sleep cycles, until he gets past the overstimulated/overtired feeling, and then he may be easier to put down...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:45 pm

He has been in your belly for 9 months being gently rocked around and close to your body and warmth so transitioning to the outside world must be scary for them. I found a good baby carrier (a stretchy wrap) a life saver as I would put it on and be able to do other things while baby would be rocked to sleep. The other thing I did was put a mattress on the floor, lay down and breastfeed bub to sleep then I would get up rather than disturbing them by moving them to a cot/bassinet. Swaddling was the other thing that helped mine as their arms would flail all over the place and they would wake themselves up.

ETA The early days are exhausting, be gentle on yourself and do what works for you, I spent a lot of time worrying about creating "bad habits" for my first but with my next three I realised that there were no bad habits, you do what works for you and your baby.

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:23 pm

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your bub!

It sounds fairly normal for that age, though it's hard to transition to sitting still as a mum! It's exhausting when you don't get that break too.

One thing we used to do was to put a hot water bottle in the bassinet while we did a feed, then just before putting bub in, remove the hot water bottle and put bub on the warm mattress / under the warmed blanket. I found that transitioning to a warm bassinet was easier than the shock of the cold sheets!

My understanding is that routines work best after twelve weeks. There are growth spurts at 2, 4 and 6 weeks (roughly) and that could maybe explain the feeding patterns you're seeing.

How do you feel about feeding lying down? You could consider feeding bub to sleep on your bed (ensuring you follow safe sleep practices - ie no loose covers, away from pillows, not on a water bed - a quick Google will give you the full list) and either rest yourself / watch TV etc.

Do you have anyone to support you and give you a break?
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:36 pm

Also, sending hugs. Eight hours of an awake baby is really hard work. Generally, I think babies of that age are "supposed" to be tired after an hour. My son wasn't a strong signaller for tired signs so with my daughter, I would make a note of the time she woke up and would know to watch out for tired signs from, say, the thirty minutes mark. I'd go by her rather than the clock, but it's easy for time to pass quickly! From the four month mark, we tried lots of different tricks - walking with the pram, sling, feeding to sleep, patting etc.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu