need help with sleep at night

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding

need help with sleep at night

Postby newmama2 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi I am a new mum, baby girl 4 days old and we are having issues with sleep. We can't get in any long night time feeds, 10 minutes at most and then she falls asleep and half an hour later she wants to feed again. I am exhausted ,any tips how to survive the early days?
newmama2

Re: need help with sleep at night

Postby wilfred » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:29 pm

Have you tried the help line the ladies are amazing. But I have to say that this was normal for our family too. All 4 of mine would feed like this and they would settle down around the 2 week mark. Good luck.
Me: 38
DH: 38
DS1: 11.5 bf for 6 weeks
DD1: 8.5 bf for 13 weeks
DS2: 6.5 bf for 26 months
DD2: 4 bf for 3 yrs and 2 weeks
wilfred

Postby Nedsmum » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:27 am

At four days old my experience is that it would just be a 'blur'....Babies tummies are so tiny at this age, and their digestive system is just learning to do the work...unfortunately, bigger meals don't mean sleeping longer...that comes with maturity...

Is there someone who can be around to help you to relax and to feel comfortable to feed as much as you need to, and stay in bed ? The phrase 'sleep when the baby is sleeping' is given often to new mums...and it's so true... in the day time as well! - for the dad (if he is involved)....one of his 'special jobs' is to 'run interference'... that means, making excuses why you can't be disturbed 'oh dear, the baby is sleeping, can you call back later ;-)....I would sort of disappear for the first 6-8 weeks...batten down the hatches and don't put too many expectations on yourself or your baby...everyone's just trying to get used to the new way of being together! Best of luck.and please do use the helpline if you need some support and encouragement!
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Postby MamaMagoO? » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:52 am

Exactly what Nedsmum said.

Newborn baby's need to feed frequently day and night. It will get easier as you baby grows but for now you just need to try to go with the flow. Sleep when you can and don't try to do too much other than sleep, eat, feed. I found having a big pot of vegie soup on the stove that I could help myself from whenever I had the chance really helped keep me going through those early days. Do you have someone who could look after the baby for a little while, while you catch up on some rest?- they could just bring the baby to you for feeds.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.
MamaMagoO?

Return to Early Days