New mum at the gym did I say the right thing

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding

New mum at the gym did I say the right thing

Postby wilfred » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:22 pm

I met a new mum at the gym tonight with a beautiful 5 month old fully breast fed baby. The mum wants to lose weight, and I told her to be careful and be mindful of her supply.

Anyway, someone has advised her to try a calorie restrictive meal replacement system that contains caffeine. I got angry!

I told her that before she starts the diet to contact the ABA hotline and to also speak to her dr. She was told that this system is safe for lactating mothers! It isn't.

Also, she mentioned that she's been taking it for 3 days now and that she has noticed that her DD is wanting to feed more often and that her breasts don't feel as full.

Did I say the right thing? I didn't want to get involved, but I was worried, she wants to feed her DD til she's 2.
Me: 38
DH: 38
DS1: 11.5 bf for 6 weeks
DD1: 8.5 bf for 13 weeks
DS2: 6.5 bf for 26 months
DD2: 4 bf for 3 yrs and 2 weeks
wilfred

Re: New mum at the gym did I say the right thing

Postby Mummy woo! » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:54 pm

Wilfred you pointed her towards a source of information and support - just what she needs. Good for you.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Nedsmum » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:11 pm

You can only do your best, and try to be sensitive to her needs... It will be up to her whether she decides to give up some of her weight-loss desires vs. continuing breastfeeding...at least you got the info to her... and yes, I would be angry that the person said it was "OK" - if it's a system, do they have a website or something that states that it's safe/unsafe for breastfeeding...

I think giving a small amount of encouragement and information is often the most effective. Get the mum thinking, clarify any direct myths or wrong information, and then point in the right direction. It is hard, because you care a lot, but you may never know whether you had an impact and whether the outcome was the one you were hoping for - we are only human...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Postby wilfred » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:39 pm

Thanks nedsmum, I will see her Monday night. She was really lovely and wanted to bf for as long as she could. From what I understand she was told this stuff was all natural, it's just that it contains caffeine and you are barely eating. It's mostly meal replacements. I'm hoping she called the hotline and spoke to her GP. Her GP should have told her how dangerous this product is.
Me: 38
DH: 38
DS1: 11.5 bf for 6 weeks
DD1: 8.5 bf for 13 weeks
DS2: 6.5 bf for 26 months
DD2: 4 bf for 3 yrs and 2 weeks
wilfred

Return to Early Days