Desperately need help

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding

Desperately need help

Postby NewMumAgain » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:24 am

Hi ladies, I've tried the helpline but can't get through and afraid if I don't post this now another day will go by and I'll be a day closer to giving up on breastfeeding! My second baby is 9 days old and takes up to 3 hours to satisfy herself with a feed. Of course she's not getting milk the whole time but between on and off latching, comfort sucking and then actually drawing down milk it's taking three hours. Then at night time she'll sleep for 4 hours and the fuss again when she wakes but take 20 mins to latch. I've tried feeding to a schedule so she gets more (she is little and lost 10% body weight in hospital) but she will simple refuse to wake up. I can't maintain this with a 2 year old and I'm drained! I'm using a nipple shield because I have short nipples that my first baby struggled also to latch to so I know she can get on. Often after the 3 hours she'll be unsettled and show signs of hunger, sucking fingers and opening her mouth to feed when close to me. I would appreciate any advice you have thanks
NewMumAgain

Re: Desperately need help

Postby Chel070 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:30 pm

Bumping up for some wiser ladies to answer- and I would also suggest trying the helpline again, I think I it's quite unusual to not get through, though I'm sure they do have their busy times/understaffed times. It sounds like your feedingd issues could be complex so talking through all the issues with a counsellor would be great if you're able to- I know finding a time to call with a toddler and newborn can be so hard, there is also email counselling available if that suits you better.
Sorry I can't offer you any more insights, but I hope you find some help, and peace of mind soon- the counsellors on the helpline are really lovely so please do try again.
DD1 Nov 2009
DS Jan 2012
DD2 Dec 2014
Chel070

Re: Desperately need help

Postby Mummy woo! » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:34 pm

Hi NMA

Sounds like you really want to breastfeed but things are very hard when bubs takes a while to get started. It is tricky to answer complex questions like yours on the forum, so I'd suggest trying the helpline again. They do get busy but there are also quieter patches - give it a go if you can.

The other option is to try email counselling which is one of the benefits of ABA membership. You can[list=][/list] find out more about email counselling and join ABA here
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Return to Early Days